6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just saying hi and that I am looking forward to hearing from people about how their builds. This will be my first build complete from an 80% lower and an upper with side charge big. Looking for the barrels stock an etc. to make this a reality.

Thanks for for listening to this newbie.

Keith

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome!

For a barrel I'd definitely recommend AR15 Performance. I've got one and been very happy with it. That said you wouldn't go wrong with a barrel from Bison, BHW, or probably Wilson Combat. All four are site sponsors for a good reason.

Stocks is something you'll have to put a lot of thought into and decide for yourself, it'll also determine your needs for the buffer system. Most go for a collapsible stock and carbine buffer system, if you go that route get a mil-spec buffer tube. I don't really mind a fixed rifle stock (and rifle buffer system) either and they are more forgiving of an upper being over/under gassed, but that's not likely to be an issue if you buy from one of the barrel manufacturers mentioned above.

Currently I've got 3 AR rifles, and a shotgun wearing an AR stock. I run the Magpul ACS-L on two of my rifles and like them. The shotgun is wearing a Magpul CTR with a limbsaver pad and is set up for home defense, never shot it on the rifles, but it works well enough on the shotgun. Did try the Limbsaver pad on the ACS-L for one outing, it absorbed the shock well, but was too squishy for my taste. For buffer systems I'm running Vltor A5 on the carbine stocked ARs and like it. Never had a Mil-spec carbine buffer so I can't compare them. From what I gather others that have used this buffer system like it as well.

The third AR rifle is currently wearing an A2 rifle stock and it works great, but it's going to be my SBR so that stock has gotta go. I'll probably be replacing it with another A5 system and a CTR. Heck now that they offer a pistol buffer, my AR pistol will probably end up with the A5 system as well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I agree with AR 15 Performance. Love my barrel. Good customer service too.
Lots of other things for sale there also for your AR. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the subject of collapsible stocks. The cheaper ones rattle a bit. Some say that will affect accuracy. I just find it annoying. The more expensive ones will have a lever that will lock it down tightly after you adjust it.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Bison also makes a great barrel. Plenty of choices of quality parts from our vendors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts