6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey from Siberia

I'm interested in the 6.8 platform. Looking to buy an AR upper. Could use all the advise I can get about good brands. Also on a budget.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hello from a fellow Minnesotan. Who's part do you call home?

As far as brands, I would start with a forum sponsor here.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Welcome

Welcome from Texas. Sponsors are good here. Years back when I began, I read, searched, and asked questions. I soon found out that ARP barrels and SuperBolt where the way to go. Not feeling 101% sure of myself to build an upper, I built the lower and chose a site sponsor here to build my first upper. Ironworks Tactical, Bret, was more than willing to discuss my wants for a hunting rig and make suggestions from a knowledgable gunsmiths point of view. I chose Ironworks Tactical and received a first class upper that shoots sub MOA groups at 100 yards. Take the time to research..........BTW, I received some Michelob Golden Light from a Minnesota friend, and love it!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
ARP products are the biggest bang for the buck about.

Iron Works Tactical uses ARP products and he works with you for things you want. My brother's upper is a tack driver, well worth the price.

For a budget one PSA has one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello from the west metro

The least expensive upper is probably from Palmetto State Armory (PSA)
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...d-a2-profile-without-bcg-charging-handle.html

I have a 5.56 Freedom upper from PSA, good buy for the money, accurate.

Need a bolt, I like the ARP superbolt, heavier duty. http://www.ar15performance.com/bolts___carriers

Use a BCG body and charging handle from another AR, get a 6.8 magazine, and you're good to go.

If you want to get a 6.8 BCG for your upper, or a magazine, just down the road from you is Sota Arms
https://sotaarms.com/index.php/component/jshopping/ar-15-upper-parts?Itemid=0
They have an carbine length upper for $425. I've picked up a few components from them on my way up nort but nothing they've put together.

For about $425-$450, one can put together a very nice softer shooting mid length upper using an ARP barrel (I really like my ARP Scout profile barrel), an ALG defense handguard(comes with everything needed for installation). A complete upper receiver, low profile gas block and gas tube can be picked up from Sota Arms in North Branch(taxed, but no shipping costs). Also need a few common tools, an upper receiver vice block, and a vice. For a really sweet shooter, a Aim Surplus lightweight BCG and an adjustable gas block, ups the cost of the build or can be added later. Building these things can be habit forming.

Google will find other AR builders in Minnesota that sell 6.8 spc II uppers.

I've read many positive reviews about uppers and rifles made by forum sponsors.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Nuance & others have said allot.

PS Bison make a very good barrel too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts