6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All. Just traded in my Custom 7mm-08 "one hole" shooting hunting rifle for a S&W M&P15 (+cash) as a starter 223 rifle and dove into the AR15 world for the very first time. My goal in switching to the AR platform was primarily to achieve one gun versatility for SD, Deer, Hog, & Varmint hunting capabilities. I've been around the block a bit, so I fully realize this goal can't (maybe I should say "shouldn't") be realized with just one caliber; however, I'm hoping that one lower and multiple uppers will allow me to achieve that goal.

I've got the M&P 15 set up for SD (and practice) with an UltraDot red dot, co-witness pop up front & rear sights, a F1 Firearms H7M Ultra Lite Handguard, a CMC 3.5 Lb trigger, a rail mounted light under the barrel and a couple of 30 round mags. While not all top of the line, I figure this set-up will do me for SD and SHTF and I can make improvements over time as needed (or wanted) :).

The reason I'm here is to learn how to build a very accurate and effective hunting upper that I can use with my M&P15 lower and based on what I've discovered so far, the 6.8 SPC is a very viable option. I am a long time reloader and definitely plan to reload for the 6.8 SPC; however, will probably just buy bulk 223.

I'm NOT new to forums, so I realize that the vast majority of my "nubie" questions have probably already been asked and answered a thousand times. So, with that said, I will start digging and will definitely seek your advice when I get stumped or come to a decision point where I need help.

I'm glad to have found this site and am looking forward to getting to know and learning from you all.
firstshot

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Hello All. Just traded in my Custom 7mm-08 "one hole" shooting hunting rifle for a S&W M&P15 (+cash) as a starter 223 rifle and dove into the AR15 world for the very first time. My goal in switching to the AR platform was primarily to achieve one gun versatility for SD, Deer, Hog, & Varmint hunting capabilities. I've been around the block a bit, so I fully realize this goal can't (maybe I should say "shouldn't") be realized with just one caliber; however, I'm hoping that one lower and multiple uppers will allow me to achieve that goal.

I've got the M&P 15 set up for SD (and practice) with an UltraDot red dot, co-witness pop up front & rear sights, a F1 Firearms H7M Ultra Lite Handguard, a CMC 3.5 Lb trigger, a rail mounted light under the barrel and a couple of 30 round mags. While not all top of the line, I figure this set-up will do me for SD and SHTF and I can make improvements over time as needed (or wanted) :).

The reason I'm here is to learn how to build a very accurate and effective hunting upper that I can use with my M&P15 lower and based on what I've discovered so far, the 6.8 SPC is a very viable option. I am a long time reloader and definitely plan to reload for the 6.8 SPC; however, will probably just buy bulk 223.

I'm NOT new to forums, so I realize that the vast majority of my "nubie" questions have probably already been asked and answered a thousand times. So, with that said, I will start digging and will definitely seek your advice when I get stumped or come to a decision point where I need help.

I'm glad to have found this site and am looking forward to getting to know and learning from you all.
firstshot
Welcome to the 68Forums and your goal for the game you want to hunt and SD with one caliber is or will be a reality with the 6.8 once you get to know the caliber.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Welcome to the 68Forums and your goal for the game you want to hunt and SD with one caliber is or will be a reality with the 6.8 once you get to know the caliber.
+1. It's a great deer/hog cartridge and SD cartridge. 6.8 has been my favorite hunting round for tbe last 4 years.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
if you end up with more than 1 have them neutered cause they breed like rabbits. mine built a small herd of 7 but i sold one so now i only have 6

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Welcome!

You'll end up getting a new lower for a 6.8 or trick out a new one. Like get a complete lower and add your own stock trigger group and buffer weight. I got two spare lowers laying around I built with good PSA enhanced triggers. The stock kits got me the buffer tubes. Got them just to have for future uppers. I finally been able to say NO! After 4 ARs...and 2 complete lowers laying around... :a31:

I just use my 6.8 ARP 18" and my Mini 6.8 for my 6.8 needs as larger game hunting around here is only a few weeks on average.

My 5.56s one is piston and one is FFT for more accuracy, and both are for the varmint and other problem critter shooting, with the piston rig's gas block set on one shot when teaching younger ones to shoot. The last one was finally the 416R "beater" PSA iron site rig, well just because and for the "Beater" gun that can take all sorts of bad weather with no scope to baby. Also the 5.56s are easier on the wallet for shooting sessions and practice and a good excuse to get more rifles!

The 6.8 is a perfect hunting round with lots of factory ammo available for a about every need! The popularity in hog infested areas are probably its powerful enough to do the job and yet can be put in a high cap mag to take out as much as the swine as one can that damage the land.

I'm partial to the 115 Federal Fusion that is SAAMI loaded but is capable (The bullet not saying the shooter is) out to 400 yards for proper bullet performance. And I should of been listening to all this talk about the 90 grain federal god dot and should of got a lot. Me I prefer bonded bullets mostly. Another reason I like the federal line is affordability for a hunting load! 90 grain gold dots have been down to less than $10 a box also!

But there is a lot of different factory ammo out there for lots of choices. I tell people who are on the fence between a hunting rifle and between the 6.5G and the 6.8 SPC I tell them to google ammo for them, guess what they choose. But those who want a cheep ammo plinker and deer rifle I tell them 7.62X39 for that or for plinking and deer the 5.56X45 (legal for deer here) as their really aren't much to varmint around here but the odd coyote, so they go for the bigger bullet. But I think the 6.8 SPC is more popular around here, I can NEVER find it on a local shelf any where. "Oh we had 10 boxes! And its all gone!" (yeah they think ordering 10 boxes of bullets is a lot for a store shelf). Lot of locals bought in to the 30 AR and complain about how they can't find ammo or its so expensive and its Remington Quality is...not. The 30 AR is a great cartridge, it was just all but abandoned by Remington and to many proprietary parts in the rifle kept it form hitting main stream where it might of been saved like the 6.8 SPC because it was a straight AR-15 components and a bolt that only needed to be acquired (yes and barrel to). As H from ARP has said, it was the hunters that saved the cartridge. As its the second most selling AR upper. The cartridge is just so dang versatile, its a great second choice after a 5.56 most people get first. Me I didn't it backwards! I got my 6.8s first!

Future two lowers are going to get an ARP 16" 6.8 and an ARP 18"-20" 5.56 uppers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts