6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy-do from sunny, hot & humid Camden, SC!

After lugging the heavy S.O.B. through 3 seasons, I've decided that my FAL is entirely too heavy to tote around in the swamps for deer/pig hunting. I've been looking for a viable AR variant, and so far, the 6.8 looks to be everything I'm looking for.

I'm a reloader, and I was pleased to see that components aren't any more (even a bit less) expensive than .308....this is looking even more like a win/win situation:D

My carbine will be running an Eotech 552 instead of a magnified optic due to the heavy foliage we have here, and max distance for shots will be well within 200 yds...I have my bolt guns for the longer range stuff.

I've spent most of the last 2 days researching the best hunting loads, twist rates, manufacturers, ets....I've decided on the RRA 16" 1:10. I'd rather go with an 18" custom ss, but since price IS an issue now that I'm retired, I'm just gonna go with a relatively inexpensive mass produced unit. I'm not planning to use this for competition or long range target, so the rack grade 16" should be plenty good enough to suit my needs, and the only cheaper upper I've found is J&T--but they come with a 1:9.5 twist.

Since I've finally decided which upper to go with, and found some really promising recipes for hunting loads, I guess the only questions I have left are these 2:

1) Is there any reliability benefit by going with a Mid-length gas system, or will a CAR-length gas system be sufficient? Since I'll be using the Eothingey, the increased sight radius isn't a big deal to me. The price is same/same for either configuration, so no issues there....although I won't need to purchase another set of rails or experience any change in balance from my usual set-up if I go with CAR length.

2) Should I run a heavier buffer than a standard H marked?

Thanks for such an informative forum! Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Colt

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome aboard. The RRA is a very nice choice. I'd also check out the Stag 6.8SPC which is about the same price and is chrome lined.

As far as Midlength Vs. Carbine Length Gas System with a 16" barrel, I'd prefer the Midlength because it is smoother, but the Carbine length is fine. Start with the regular buffer and if you shoot the hotter loads, step up to an H-buffer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome....I've learned more about the 6.8 in 72 hrs here than I have in over a year surfing the other sites :D

I decided to go with the RRA for a couple of reasons--The main reason is simple math--it's $30 cheaper ($50 cheaper if they're still offering free shipping), which allows me to buy more brass/projectiles. Another reason is that I'm not convinced that c/l is necessary on a hunting gun. The best shooting guns I've ever owned aren't lined--it just takes a little more effort to remove fouling until they're properly seasoned...and if I run into any tight chamber issues, I can polish it myself without having to worry about flaking. Same thing applies for crowning the muzzle or cutting it shorter if I ever get the SBR itch....that's a distinct possibility after reading about how the 6.8 was designed for shorter barrels.

Thanks for answering my question about the CAR vs middy....as long as the experts feel that reliability isn't going to suffer, I think I'll stay with the CAR length and accept the snappier cycling....I already have a spare set of rails, BUIS and VFG from a previous project that didn't work out, so I'll have a virtually identical setup to the AR I've been using as my SHTF/Go-To gun for years--That one is chrome lined, btw :wink: .

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Colt said:
Thanks for the welcome....I've learned more about the 6.8 in 72 hrs here than I have in over a year surfing the other sites :D

I decided to go with the RRA for a couple of reasons--The main reason is simple math--it's $30 cheaper ($50 cheaper if they're still offering free shipping), which allows me to buy more brass/projectiles. Another reason is that I'm not convinced that c/l is necessary on a hunting gun. The best shooting guns I've ever owned aren't lined--it just takes a little more effort to remove fouling until they're properly seasoned...and if I run into any tight chamber issues, I can polish it myself without having to worry about flaking. Same thing applies for crowning the muzzle or cutting it shorter if I ever get the SBR itch....that's a distinct possibility after reading about how the 6.8 was designed for shorter barrels.

Thanks for answering my question about the CAR vs middy....as long as the experts feel that reliability isn't going to suffer, I think I'll stay with the CAR length and accept the snappier cycling....I already have a spare set of rails, BUIS and VFG from a previous project that didn't work out, so I'll have a virtually identical setup to the AR I've been using as my SHTF/Go-To gun for years--That one is chrome lined, btw :wink: .
Makes perfect sense. An H-buffer will help with some of the snappiness.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Welcome!
Tons of good information here without the attitude.
You'll love the 6.8! :D

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
You've done some homework, and I would say that you already are nearing the "advanced" class before you even have your first 6.8!

I think you are right on w/r/t the chrome lining. In fact, we have now seen a very unfortunate incident with Cardinal Armory, in which the CL itself caused severe pressure problems, and until Mfr's stop using lame chromers, I am sticking with SS uppers. In CA's defense, my 16" superlight CL, 1-11" 4 groove, SPCII is one of the favorite barrels I've ever owned. For walking / stalking, it is hard to beat a superlight profile barrel.

The RRA is a good choice, but I believe that they are about to release a 1 in 11" twist barrel. You might just get a little more velocity out of the 1:11 but we hear reports that the SPC II, 1:10" RRA does shoot SSA Combat loads without excess pressure. We did not get one for our test, so I cannot give you a first hand account, but I have no reason to disbelieve some of our members that own them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ego boost there, HTR :wink:

I wouldn't say I'm ready for the 'advanced class' just yet....I still have a whole lot to learn, but I've got a decent foundation to build upon. I guess you could say that my modus operandi is to do a little research before making a purchase because it always makes the building, maintenance, and operation of a new toy go a whole lot smoother. I don't mind asking questions if it will keep me from making a costly mistake when choosing parts.

I've been following the progression of the 6.8 for quite awhile now....the SAAMI/ SAAMI II chamber issues, and now the Cardinal/Kotonics problems....The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a 6.8 already is that I was waiting until the inevitable bugs got worked out of the system and for ammo/brass to become standardized and more readily available. It's a damn shame about Kotonics too--I hate seeing such an ardent supporter and innovator of our sports get financially hosed like this. Every post I've ever read about Cardinal/Kotonics has been very positive until this chrome lining issue, and I hope it all works out for them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Colt!

I live right down the road from you in Sumter, SC! I've got a Ko-Tonics 6.8 in 18" though I have the SS barrel. It shoots better than I do! I took two deer with it last year and have decided to order a second 6.8 from Tim at Ko-Tonics as soon as my pilot bonus comes in.

Let me know if you want to meet at Manchester some time to shoot.

- Disco

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disco said:
Hi Colt!

I live right down the road from you in Sumter, SC! I've got a Ko-Tonics 6.8 in 18" though I have the SS barrel. It shoots better than I do! I took two deer with it last year and have decided to order a second 6.8 from Tim at Ko-Tonics as soon as my pilot bonus comes in.

Let me know if you want to meet at Manchester some time to shoot.

- Disco

Excellent! Good to meet ya and GREAT to know that there's a fellow shooter in the area! I'll do ya one better--let me know when you have some free time and we'll hit the WMA and bust a pig!

**"Pilot Bonus"? I'm assuming that you're USAF and stationed at Shaw--what squadron? (I'm 55th AMU--until 1 Sep anyway)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya know.....I've been looking harder and harder at those Stag uppers. ($15 cheaper, and a magazine included) I really don't care for the M203 cuts, but that's the only thing I don't like about 'em.

Cold--I've read the majority of your posts on Arfcom, and you seem to know more about general firearm info than most. Unlike nearly everyone else over there you generally don't seem biased about your recommendations. If you're seconding the recommendation for the Stag, I will be placing the order with Pete on Wed.

Thanks everyone who nudged me in this direction--I was wanting the RRA because it's a HBAR--but if I really want a 6.8 that has the same handling/balance as my Go-To gun, the Stag is the only one that truly fits the bill. (it also saves me an additional $30)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Colt said:
ya know.....I've been looking harder and harder at those Stag uppers. ($15 cheaper, and a magazine included) I really don't care for the M203 cuts, but that's the only thing I don't like about 'em.

Cold--I've read the majority of your posts on Arfcom, and you seem to know more about general firearm info than most. Unlike nearly everyone else over there you generally don't seem biased about your recommendations. If you're seconding the recommendation for the Stag, I will be placing the order with Pete on Wed.

Thanks everyone who nudged me in this direction--I was wanting the RRA because it's a HBAR--but if I really want a 6.8 that has the same handling/balance as my Go-To gun, the Stag is the only one that truly fits the bill. (it also saves me an additional $30)
Tha Stag is a great upper. The only thing I would do to it is take a small round file and add M4 ramps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mission accomplished. :mrgreen:

Orders placed with Pete for a Stag complete upper, and with SSA for a few hundred rounds of assorted ammo. While I was at it, I placed an order at Brownells for a couple Vltor buttstock pads....My wife's 7.62x39 AR is just a bit uncomfortable to shoot without a pad, so I'm assuming that the 6.8 id going to thump a bit more than .223 too....I snagged one for each of our pig rifles. I already have H and H2 buffers and a pile 'o new buffer springs to tweak the cycle.....the only thing left that I can think of is the reloading dies and some projectiles. I'll pick those up eventually--I expect my SSA order to last me awhile, so it's not imperative to get 'em right now.

This deer/hog season is going to be FUN!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<sigh>

SSA ammo arrived today. Stock pads arrived yesterday.....Pete says it'll be another week before I see my upper.

BTW: SSA, thanks for the Dum-Dums!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Colt said:

I think your giving me to much credit, and I sure hope you have not read the majority of my posts... if you have then you likely were unable to decipher some of them because my typing and spelling leaves much to be desired.

the first 6.8 I had was a Stag and have no issues with it when shooting the regular SSA, Hornady or Remington ammo, Pete at Legal Transfers is a good guy, a bit gruff, but a good guy to be sure.
I try to be unbiased, while I make no bones about one round, I feel the 458 SOCOM is tops of the big bores.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IT'S-HERE-IT'S-HERE-IT'S-HERE!!!!!! The BBT arrived on Thursday and dropped off my new upper. I was in the middle of stringing a new electric fence and couldn't quit until I finished....one of our GSDs is in heat, and the neighbor's mutts have been cruising for a date. I don't want the hassle of getting rid of mixed breed puppies, and my POS neighbor won't keep his animals confined.....it's either shoot 'em or fence 'em out. I decided that the fence is the better choice because out here in the sticks, people drop their unwanted pets all the time....the fence works all the time, even when we're away. (we've already had to shoot several aggressive strays in the past 3 years--and more always come, either because of our dogs, or looking for something to eat....I can't stand irresponsible pet owners. :evil:)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I was too beat to even open the box after I put the tools away, and I worked 42 hrs between Fri, Sat, Sun.....I dropped our daughter off at school this morning and configured my new upper the way I want it. Typical AR, and took all of 5 minutes to slap together from my spare parts. (Doublestar lower was already complete--all I had to do was install the Eothingey, rails, BUIS, sling, vert grip and light.)

Here she is:

I'll be test firing and sighting it in later today with the Barnes 110 TSX and Sierra 110 PH loads that I got from SSA last week....I may not have warm fuzzy feelings for the stray animals, but having a 100yd shooting range in the back yard is a nice perk of country living :wink:

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the package--a 16" AR is going to be PERFECT for hunting the swamps.....looking forward to breaking it in right this season :D

eta: BTW, before y'all ask why my sling and light are mounted on the wrong side, I'm a lefty. I opted for the right hand model because that's what I'm used to shooting, and resale is easier if I ever decided to sell it.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Nice looking Carbine, I am looking forward to the range report.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
marinesg1012 said:
Nice looking Carbine, I am looking forward to the range report.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Range report:

This little package is fantastic! I took it out to the back yard and sighted it in at 50 yds. This is some of the best shooting I've ever done with an Eotech, and I guarandamntee you that the LC 5.56 I usually shoot in my AR won't group like this. If I hadn't shot these myself, I wouldn't have believed it was possible to shoot groups with an unmagnified red dot sight. (I might not be so quick to call BS on the next outlandish marksmanship claim I hear)

I was shooting from the bed of my pickup. Targets set out at a measured 50 yds. I was laying prone, and using a bag of Quickcrete for a rest. Ammo is SSA factory Barnes 110 TSX. Weather conditions were 88 F, 90% humidity, 0 wind.....fixing to become 100% humidity and very windy....(I have dark hair, weigh 190 lbs, hate dancing..... :mrgreen: )

I didn't dial in the elevation because a t-storm is moving in.

Dialing in the Eotech 552, I shot a 3 rd group, and fired 3 more single shots to verify the adjustments to the right. POA for all shots was the center of the circle.

I'll say that windage is dialed in. I'll verify the vertical adjustments tomorrow. (Thunderstorm is moving in and the wind started blowing as I was checking my target) Y'all can call BS if you want to, but this is a 5 rd group. Squares on this target are 1"x1", POA was the center of the red.

No malfunctions of any kind, and no signs of overpressure at all. Brass is in better condition than anything my FAL spits out.....should reload wonderfully. When I get around to reloading, I'll experiment with some hotter loads, but for now I'm more than satisfied......I initially wanted the RRA HBAR, thinking it would be more accurate. I'm glad I listened to the sound advice I was given here!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts