6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just make sure it goes away or she could have picked up "kennel cough" from somewhere.
We get people all the time, 10 years with the dog then when medical issues come up cuz of age they turn them in!!! Such a POS throw away society!!
Well, it didn't go away, so we took her to the vet today. Turned out she has pneumonia, and a fairly serious case. She's on antibiotics and steroids for the next 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Well, it didn't go away, so we took her to the vet today. Turned out she has pneumonia, and a fairly serious case. She's on antibiotics and steroids for the next 2 weeks.
DAMMIT!!!! Sorry to hear that, wasn't trying to jinx anything, Kennel cough can turn into pneumonia if not diagnosed or caught right away... Obviously you didn't know because of that trachea tube irritation possibility.
She should be okay but you have to be STRICT with those meds... if it gets worse (and I pray it don't) your Vet should offer breathing treatments.

I got one under my roof right now, almost died, used 3 different antibiotics and didn't work till they cultured the germ and picked the correct one that finally worked.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
DAMMIT!!!! Sorry to hear that, wasn't trying to jinx anything, Kennel cough can turn into pneumonia if not diagnosed or caught right away... Obviously you didn't know because of that trachea tube irritation possibility.
She should be okay but you have to be STRICT with those meds... if it gets worse (and I pray it don't) your Vet should offer breathing treatments.

I got one under my roof right now, almost died, used 3 different antibiotics and didn't work till they cultured the germ and picked the correct one that finally worked.
She's a very sick girl, but we have antibiotics and steroids to treat her. Vet said he was concerned for her life. If she passes in our care, she won't die without a family.....

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Praying for you old gal! I love it when the senior dogs get their furever home to finish out their careers.
My wife has managed the City of Sacramento's animal shelter for over 8 years now and is retiring on Oct 11th after over 30 years with the city. 20 years with the 911 call center alone. She is not retiring from the animal sheltering world though. She has 2 companies that she is going to work for but cannot be named publicly until the 11th. Thank you for giving a senior a family. It seems all we take in here at my house any more. We get to enjoy then for a year or two before they are ready for the rainbow bridge. We say that we are done and within 2 months there is another senior wandering through our house staking out their place.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Praying for you old gal! I love it when the senior dogs get their furever home to finish out their careers.
My wife has managed the City of Sacramento's animal shelter for over 8 years now and is retiring on Oct 11th after over 30 years with the city. 20 years with the 911 call center alone. She is not retiring from the animal sheltering world though. She has 2 companies that she is going to work for but cannot be named publicly until the 11th. Thank you for giving a senior a family. It seems all we take in here at my house any more. We get to enjoy then for a year or two before they are ready for the rainbow bridge. We say that we are done and within 2 months there is another senior wandering through our house staking out their place.
Thanks Capt, the prayers seem to be working. She's not coughing and wheezing as much, as long as we keep her activity to a minimum. She's still pretty weak, but I can tell she's improving because her appetite is getting better, even though she can't always keep it down. Have you had experience with pneumonia in dogs?

·
Administrator
22,871 Posts
We're all pulling for Hershey's full/complete recovery and reports of a bounce in her step with tail wagging up a storm and sending things flying.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Thanks Capt, the prayers seem to be working. She's not coughing and wheezing as much, as long as we keep her activity to a minimum. She's still pretty weak, but I can tell she's improving because her appetite is getting better, even though she can't always keep it down. Have you had experience with pneumonia in dogs?
GREAT NEWS... it's gonna take the full 2 weeks for sure. The one we had that almost died is now way too chipper and sleeps in the bed with us... and she is also quite the senior. She will be going to her new adopted home this weekend.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
303 - What's the latest on Hershey?
She's getting better a little bit at a time. Coughing and wheezing are slowly diminishing. It's gonna take a couple weeks, but we're feeling better about her. Here she is resting her head on my leg while I'm responding.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,871 Posts
She's getting better a little bit at a time. Coughing and wheezing are slowly diminishing. It's gonna take a couple weeks, but we're feeling better about her. Here she is resting her head on my leg while I'm responding.
So pleased to hear a good report. :a12:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
She’s over the pneumonia, and back in full form. She also acts a lot younger than 9 years old, running and playing with our small dog. Hershey has definitely found her forever home.

·
Administrator
22,871 Posts
Outstanding !!! Time to collect those Hershey kisses! Congrats on a big win!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
We got some bad news today. My wife took Hershey to the vet, and we found out she’s got lung cancer. Vet says that she has a couple months left give or take. We’re going to love and spoil her as long as we can.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Man, so sorry to hear that. I doubt it will help, but you did a wonderful thing giving her a good life while you could. Adopting a senior pet is always hard because you never know how much time you have left. Y'all are good people.

Reactions: 303 HUNTER
21 - 40 of 51 Posts