6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Hershey, a chocolate lab we adopted from animal control. She’s 9 years old, and fully housebroken. My wife found her on the animal control website, and had to have her. I was hesitant of adopting a dog that old, but in the 3 days we’ve owned her, she’s already my best buddy!

They told us that an elderly couple turned her and her brother in because they couldn’t care for them anymore. Guy behind us adopted her brother, and I was glad they both had a new home.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,314 Posts

· Administrator
22,565 Posts
Gotta love 'em, each and every one! Congrats on the new family member.

· Registered
446 Posts
Tell her Deohgee sez, "Hey!".

Got thisvuy after the antique Rotty we rescued off the side of the road passed.
Wife was smitten with this guy!
We got him at 6 months. He looked like a bear cub strolling around the house.
He's certified therapy and service.

· Administrator
22,565 Posts
AWESOME!!! Good for you!!!

Very cute indeed!!

Thanks for adopting an elderly dog!!!

My wife and I run http://eskierescuestl.org/ for 20 years now... older dogs are the sweetest but hardest to get into loving homes
My last two dogs were Eskies. Great dogs, smart as a whip, love to play ball.

· Premium Member
1,314 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Sweet looking pup. Hopefully you get a lot of great memories and years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
22,565 Posts
OH WOW. that's cool... Yeah almost too smart sometimes... First one learned about 20 circus type tricks.
The first three years of their lives, they think their names are: "Do you want to live to your next birthday?" LOL

Looks like ol' Hershey Girl has it all figured out and isn't in need of such worry. Give her a warm fire and a full belly, and a soft bed... life's good.

· Registered
387 Posts
That is really great of you folks to help out that sweet dog.
Any trouble with them adjusting without their buddy dog?
Owned many dogs and most pulled out ok when one would pass away.
However my one female boxer/Dane mixes completely went off the deep end when her buddy was put down.
Its as if she imprinted more on him than us, and after that she went from confident and outgoing to being a nervous nelly, etc. Unfortunately continued until she made her own walk to the west.

· Registered
378 Posts
A few years back, a friend's aunt died that had a 10 year old Basenji that became orphaned. We had recently lost our own dog of 14 years & the dog was offered to us. We were very reluctant to adopt such a old dog but she turned out to be a wonderful gift to us. Our only complaint is an older dog has a shorter life span to be with you. We still miss her.

Congratulations to both you & the dog!

· Registered
321 Posts
THAT is fantastic! Congratulations on the new Family member. We adopted our last one when he was 10. Spent 4 1/2 GREAT years with him and said goodbye to him a couple months ago. We just adopted a two year old that needed a home.

AzCasper

· Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She’s doing fine . Being spayed has to be stressful on a dog that old, but she’s doing great. She’s got a bit more energy every day, and is waiting at the door when I come home from work. She’s still coughing from the tube they put down her esophagus while under anesthesia.

I’ll never understand how anyone could give up a sweet dog like Hershey. Someone put a bunch of time training her to be the good dog she is. My family is lucky to have her!

· Premium Member
1,314 Posts
She's doing fine . Being spayed has to be stressful on a dog that old, but she's doing great. She's got a bit more energy every day, and is waiting at the door when I come home from work. She's still coughing from the tube they put down her esophagus while under anesthesia.

I'll never understand how anyone could give up a sweet dog like Hershey. Someone put a bunch of time training her to be the good dog she is. My family is lucky to have her!
Just make sure it goes away or she could have picked up "kennel cough" from somewhere.
We get people all the time, 10 years with the dog then when medical issues come up cuz of age they turn them in!!! Such a POS throw away society!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts