6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
It took me a long time to decide on the 6.8 SPC over the 6.5 G. Lots of reading, looking at ballistics, ammo prices, ect. I like the thought of the 350 Legend and the 277 Wolverine. I am also intrigued with the 6TEC. For me though, how many calibers do I need. I don't do long range shooting here in Western Ohio. I want more, but being able to afford it is another story. That being said, I really like the 6.8 SPC. If I ever move out west, I think I would look into a 6mm though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This interests me also. Seems .257 has made a name for itself in 250-3000 Savage years ago and of course 25-06. Bullet weights range up thru the lower end of the popular 6.8 bullets. I would think BC would be much better in the 100-110 grain range also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
7mm Valkyrie would be nice to have a few uppers to pair with existing 5.56 guns for heirlooms for future kids/grandkids. Ever since my son was on the way and my grandma was in her last years I made it a point to see to it that my grandfather's legacy would be celebrated by having all future generations of the family to be blessed with good rifles since that's what he did 55 years ago for us.
I'm right there with you.. Passed down firearms are awesome. They also normally have a story behind it too..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im kind of the bastard child here. Dont have a 6.8 but have a grendel 5 blackouts and a 300 ham'r. True wildcats dont interest me. Not because i need factory ammo or brass. Ive been loading and casting for over 50 years. I just dont see a real reason to deal with a wildcat when theres only so much that can be done on an ar platform and really its pretty tough to beat with an real margin what the 6.8 and 6.5 do anyway. Any way you look at it the mags are only so long and you have to get bullets to feed reliably.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess thinking that way a guy couldnt buy much of anything these days. Even 556 is about impossible to find around here. Cant it be made from something else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess thinking that way a guy couldnt buy much of anything these days. Even 556 is about impossible to find around here. Cant it be made from something else?
I imagine it can, but it seems strange that Hornady's marketing arm would be spending money promoting a cartridge that is tough to get your hands on right now (either loaded ammo or components). Just last week they sent a glossy brochure along with a nice poster advertising the 6mm arc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ya i got the poster and the packet too. Id guess there just to busy right now trying to keep up with the standard rounds and put the speciality rounds on the back burner.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 6mm ARC can be considered a 6mm PPC with the shoulder blown foreword or a 6mm Grendel with its shoulder pushed back. It can be made from 7.62x39 brass too. Both PPC and 7.62x39 brass need fire-forming. The Grendel guys sometimes use 7.62x39 brass when they have no other choice, so some info is over there. Also, load info is for small primer and most 7.62x39 brass is large primer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 6mm ARC can be considered a 6mm PPC with the shoulder blown foreword or a 6mm Grendel with its shoulder pushed back. It can be made from 7.62x39 brass too. Both PPC and 7.62x39 brass need fire-forming. The Grendel guys sometimes use 7.62x39 brass when they have no other choice, so some info is over there. Also, load info is for small primer and most 7.62x39 brass is large primer.
That's good information in this environment of shortages nearly everywhere you look.

·
Registered
41 Posts
brass for odd balls? Who needs it. I just made 400 300 ham'rs yesterday out of 556. Chop saw and a sizing die and a power chamfer tool. Run them through the die, chop them and chamfer them. Just about everything new today is based on something old.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does the 300 Ham'r use the same taper as 5.56? I am having a hard time keeping all these new cartridges straight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious what cartridges that are new or are coming out are peaking your interests? For me I am really liking the idea of a 9x39mm for that pure subsonic use.

What say y’all? What cartridges are getting your thoughts?
358 MGP is my favorite of many

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does the 300 Ham'r use the same taper as 5.56? I am having a hard time keeping all these new cartridges straight. Where the 300 bo will push a 110 to around 2300 a ham'r will do a 130 to a bit better then that. My loads run 2400 out of a 18 inch barrel. like i said before its square right in there with a 6.8 or 6.5 grendel.
think if it as just a longer 300 bo. Just cut the case right below the rim and run through a sizing die and chamfer.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
358 MGP is my favorite of many
My first actual wildcat was the 358MGP. If you shoot a 6.8, the TAC30 and the 358MGP are great choices for the AR15 platform. The MGP is deadly with 180gr Speer Hot Core bullets. The TAC30 surpasses the other 30cal offerings in the AR15 platform.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My first actual wildcat was the 358MGP. If you shoot a 6.8, the TAC30 and the 358MGP are great choices for the AR15 platform. The MGP is deadly with 180gr Speer Hot Core bullets. The TAC30 surpasses the other 30cal offerings in the AR15 platform.
tac 30 would be my next choice if i wasnt already swimming in ars

21 - 39 of 39 Posts