6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what cartridges that are new or are coming out are peaking your interests? For me I am really liking the idea of a 9x39mm for that pure subsonic use.

What say y’all? What cartridges are getting your thoughts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm building a 350 Legend to check out it's possibilities as both a short range deer/hog gun and subsonic abilities. On the surface it looks to out shine the 300BO plus offers a cheaper answer to the 9x39's expensive ammo cost/reload availability.

Reactions: Nincomp

·
Registered
871 Posts
I built a 350 Legend a few month ago. Even with cheap ammo it's 1.5 MOA at 100 yards and it's a pure pleasure to shoot. Waiting on Federal Fusions to become available. I'm only a few miles North of the line where bottle neck cartridges aren't allowed. 6.8 is my go to for around here but now I can check out some hunting grounds to the South of me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I haven’t looked into .350 Legend enough didn’t realize the subsonic aspect of the cartridge.

What are the thoughts of the 8.6 Creed? Is it a legit cartridge or is it just really good marketing? Saw a YouTube video where a company showed they had done the same thing with .338Fed.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
9x39 is a joke. Piedmont Cartridge, the brains behind it are clueless. Didn’t have one firearm that would run at demo without mag or gas issues. Witnessed first hand. 358 MGP is much more proven.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm really interested to see if Federal expands their Valkyrie offerings. I emailed suggestions for a 6.5 or a .308 Valkyrie. I encouraged them to not let the .350 Legend take the medium game market away from them. They replied by saying that they would send my suggestions up to their marketing and design folks. We'll see if anything comes of it though. One can dream.

·
Registered
28 Posts
7mm Valkyrie would be nice to have a few uppers to pair with existing 5.56 guns for heirlooms for future kids/grandkids. Ever since my son was on the way and my grandma was in her last years I made it a point to see to it that my grandfather's legacy would be celebrated by having all future generations of the family to be blessed with good rifles since that's what he did 55 years ago for us.

Reactions: Bubba1972

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Nothing new really interest me as most are rushed thru without all of the testing needed to eliminate issues. See 224V.
That said the 30Herrett is pretty dang sweet, or if performance isnt as important the 300Ham'R comes within 200fps of the 30Herrett/tac30. I get 2850fps with a 110gr TTSX out of a 16" barrel, and it's a pretty sweet hunting round if you dont mind reloading.

In my experience the claims of new factory rounds are generally way overstated and do not match the claims as advertised, see 6.5G, 300BS, etc. They have there place but most of their success is due to huge marketing campaigns pushing exaggerated info. The 300BS being a great hog round, proved to be false as most pro hog hunters have reverted back to the 6.8 or large frame 308 as the 300BS, didn't live up to its billing.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The 270MSR is a real improvement for the AR15 platform. It's really an improved 270AR, only needing the 6mm brass to be run through a sizing die and loaded up,with no neck turning needed. Easily pushes a 110gr AB to 3000fps and 130GR bullets to 2800fps with the 20" barrel. Not really a wildcat except for the easily made brass. A great round by my experience. Like a 6.8 Magnum!

·
Registered
80 Posts
6mm ??

Just curious what cartridges that are new or are coming out are peaking your interests? For me I am really liking the idea of a 9x39mm for that pure subsonic use.

What say y’all? What cartridges are getting your thoughts?
Not really an answer to your question, but I'm surprised at the lack of 6mm cartridge offerings that would fit the AR-15 platform (2.260 COAL).

ARPerformance has TAC 6 (6x6.8) and Robert Whitley has the 6mmAR, both of which are nice wildcats. But nothing commercially available yet between 224 Valkyrie & 6.8 SPC, as far as I can tell. Are there reasons for that which are beyond me?

I'm not a big handloader and am interested in inexpensive, off-the-shelf options for ammo and rifles.

(Sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread.)

~wheatshocker

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not a new cartridge , but is kinda new to me. The .270 Winchester.

Which will probably be a new thread .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just built a 16” 350 Legend. Quick range trip last week and the gas is working well but had some FTF issues. Range is closed for two weeks due to deer season so it will be a bit before I do some more testing.

78BA7515-943E-4CA9-A6E0-FE7E0FE996DC.jpeg 78BA7515-943E-4CA9-A6E0-FE7E0FE996DC.jpeg

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I think a .277 in a Valkyrie case would be great! It would be a great balance between the 6.5 and .280 calibers for range performance and and such and...oh wait I think there is one like that right? :a01:

I hope federal does do larger calibers loads for the 224 Valkyrie. More 6.8 base brass would be made as well and easier to find more 6.8 mags.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The 270MSR is a real improvement for the AR15 platform. It's really an improved 270AR, only needing the 6mm brass to be run through a sizing die and loaded up,with no neck turning needed. Easily pushes a 110gr AB to 3000fps and 130GR bullets to 2800fps with the 20" barrel. Not really a wildcat except for the easily made brass. A great round by my experience. Like a 6.8 Magnum!
Ive read that same 6mm brass can be used to form 270AR brass as well. And no neck turning is needed. We'll see. I've got a bag to try but haven't had time to see if it works.

·
Registered
14,090 Posts
Ive read that same 6mm brass can be used to form 270AR brass as well. And no neck turning is needed. We'll see. I've got a bag to try but haven't had time to see if it works.
It will have a short neck, works but still short.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this temps me too, but my reloading gear is put away until I find another house so if only someone would load to 6.8 spc ii levels that would be a good stopgap.

·
Registered
14,090 Posts
this temps me too, but my reloading gear is put away until I find another house so if only someone would load to 6.8 spc ii levels that would be a good stopgap.
Just looking at sales it seems many tried the 224 Valkyrie and are now looking at other high performance 224s. The 224 Predator/22 Grendel sales are picking up.

·
Registered
599 Posts
OK, just have to jump in here :)
224V and cheap factory ammo,
6.8 SPC and weak factory ammo,
Come on, wildcats typically require handloading re-formed parent cases.

You can either work with 6.8 or V case and base diameters or Grendel case and base diameters.
You can shorten the body to allow longer necks for heavies.
You can cut mags for a little more length.

I still like my red headed step child.

:)

There was a period that some liked the 6mm Hagar case, from ONLY ONE place.
Used a 6.8 bolt, but the case is HEAVY. That's good, right? More brass, less space.

There's that long 6.8 size brass but that takes a lot of work for anything less than 10mm :)
The 22 Nosler trash brass, and now the cheaper, lighter 22 Nosler/Dogtown.

How about a Dogtown 22 Nosler with a 6.8 sized base?
I say once the embarrassment of making the 22 Nosler fades they could be talked into it.
Want to neck it up or down? Shorten it?
Could Nosler do it?
Sure, I have one. Just one. Likely a mistake, or a disgruntled employee did it.
68_22N_Dogtown.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts