6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, I did a lot of reading and searching within the forums and got a lot of great information. So here goes, I am building my first 6.8SPCII soon, This is be a SBR rifle for 0-300 will be shot suppressed and unsuppressed with a dead air sandman-s, I placed an order for a wilson combat 11.3 inch barrel about 5 months ago and still nothing I know they make great stuff but I am getting tired of waiting, called and they said not way to give an estimate on build time. With that being said I am looking at ordering a custom barrel from Compass Lake Engineering. Gun is being built on a BCM upper and Lower, geissele 10inch federal ral and will run the Vltor A5 buffer system. As far as a barrel I am looking at either a Douglas or Bartlein 11inch heavy profile barrel with a 1-11twist, carbine gas system with 5/8x24 threads. My question what size gas port would you all recommend? I am open to a fixed DI system or adjustable gas/piston system like the superlative arms. I look forward to any recommendations and advice thank you.

Brian.

·
Registered
932 Posts
First post here, I did a lot of reading and searching within the forums and got a lot of great information. So here goes, I am building my first 6.8SPCII soon, This is be a SBR rifle for 0-300 will be shot suppressed and unsuppressed with a dead air sandman-s, I placed an order for a wilson combat 11.3 inch barrel about 5 months ago and still nothing I know they make great stuff but I am getting tired of waiting, called and they said not way to give an estimate on build time. With that being said I am looking at ordering a custom barrel from Compass Lake Engineering. Gun is being built on a BCM upper and Lower, geissele 10inch federal ral and will run the Vltor A5 buffer system. As far as a barrel I am looking at either a Douglas or Bartlein 11inch heavy profile barrel with a 1-11twist, carbine gas system with 5/8x24 threads. My question what size gas port would you all recommend? I am open to a fixed DI system or adjustable gas/piston system like the superlative arms. I look forward to any recommendations and advice thank you.

Brian.
Go ARP or Bison Armory for the barrel. Pretty much consensus on here those are the best two. ARP being considered top with Bison a close second.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 73611 ARP, the 12.5 barrel is your baby...I have the 10.5 and dropped 3 deer already the easy way. Jealous you have a suppressor... I want one
What accuracy to you have out of the 12.5 3r twist? I don't plan on shooting 200 grain subsonic loads, this will be a 110-120 grain gun. This will be a home defense gun/cqb/training gun, won't be used for hunting. Can I choose what barrel blank ARP will use? thank you for your response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go ARP or Bison Armory for the barrel. Pretty much consensus on here those are the best two. ARP being considered top with Bison a close second.
Will bison armory let me choose what barrel blank, twist rate and rifling? What is the accuracy with the 1/7 twist? This will be a 110-120 grain gun meant for HD/cqb/training. My main 2 areas of concern with any rifle is reliability and accuracy Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Will bison armory let me choose what barrel blank, twist rate and rifling? What is the accuracy with the 1/7 twist? This will be a 110-120 grain gun meant for HD/cqb/training. My main 2 areas of concern with any rifle is reliability and accuracy Thank you for your response.
Bison 1/7 is for subsonic. Never used it myself. Plenty on here use ARP 12.5 with 120 for hunting with very good results.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
What accuracy to you have out of the 12.5 3r twist? I don't plan on shooting 200 grain subsonic loads, this will be a 110-120 grain gun. This will be a home defense gun/cqb/training gun, won't be used for hunting. Can I choose what barrel blank ARP will use? thank you for your response.
Why do you want to choose your barrel blank and twist . H at ARP has spent tens of thousands designing and testing to produce the best 6.8 barrels available . You don't want a carbine gas barrel in 6.8 you want a mid length .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you want to choose your barrel blank and twist . H at ARP has spent tens of thousands designing and testing to produce the best 6.8 barrels available . You don't want a carbine gas barrel in 6.8 you want a mid length .

Will a mid length gas system work with a 11-11.5 inch barrel? Barrel blank choice is because I want a quality match grade barrel and if I am building a gun why not have the best barrel blank possible (I have a number of guns built with douglas and bartlein barrels, I am open to other ideas, but it has to be quality and sub moa), twist rate goes towards what round I want to shoot, I am not using this for hunting and I'm not planning on shooting sub sonic and will be shooting a 110-120 grain round. With that I am an open book to any and all knowledge so if there is better choices or options I am all ears. I am new to the 6.8, so much of my thought process comes from precision bolt and gas guns.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Will a mid length gas system work with a 11-11.5 inch barrel? Barrel blank choice is because I want a quality match grade barrel and if I am building a gun why not have the best barrel blank possible (I have a number of guns built with douglas and bartlein barrels, I am open to other ideas, but it has to be quality and sub moa), twist rate goes towards what round I want to shoot, I am not using this for hunting and I'm not planning on shooting sub sonic and will be shooting a 110-120 grain round. With that I am an open book to any and all knowledge so if there is better choices or options I am all ears. I am new to the 6.8, so much of my thought process comes from precision bolt and gas guns.
In my time on this forum, I have yet to see a problem with Bison or ARP. I personally have a Bison 16" that is sub MOA. Several members also have ARP barrels in all lengths doing the same. For 6.8 I have seen a ton of problems with Wilson Combat barrels on here (normally the gas port is too small). Only ARP and Bison have taken the time to develop their own chambers as further improvements to the SPC II chamber. You want the best barrel for 6.8 get a Bison or ARP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are trying to buy a 12.5" 6.8 SPC right now the fact that ARP has them in stock is sort of your lotto ticket level luck.

Plenty of people have shot 110gr HPBT and 120 gr SST out of ARP barrels here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ARP FTW! I had one loved it and sold(sorry I am an idiot) it. It was one of the handiest smooth 6.8 uppers I have had and I have had a few.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know it’s not exactly what you are looking for but I have a 20” ARP that shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards with a 10 shot group. The ARP barrel is as good if not better my 26” bartlein 243 barrel. My recommendation would be the ARP as I have no experience with Bison.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know it’s not exactly what you are looking for but I have a 20” ARP that shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards with a 10 shot group. The ARP barrel is as good if not better my 26” bartlein 243 barrel. My recommendation would be the ARP as I have no experience with Bison.
Thank you, that's good to know the accuracy is there on the ARP.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
In my time on this forum, I have yet to see a problem with Bison or ARP. I personally have a Bison 16" that is sub MOA. Several members also have ARP barrels in all lengths doing the same. For 6.8 I have seen a ton of problems with Wilson Combat barrels on here (normally the gas port is too small). Only ARP and Bison have taken the time to develop their own chambers as further improvements to the SPC II chamber. You want the best barrel for 6.8 get a Bison or ARP.
Well there’s one of those that spent time designing his own chambers, buttons for rifling and twist rate, then there’s a copy cat.

As far as a Bison 1:7 twist barrel, their claim is that it will shoot all ammo just as well as it shoots the heavy subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
22,081 Posts
My 16" ARP shoots sub 1/2" MOA (that was six shots at 100yds), and that was with a nasty mil-spec trigger. That's only ONE reason why I have 5 ARP barrels waiting for my attention to build.

Reactions: semi_cop

·
Registered
166 Posts
Agree with Ratdog. I have built two 6.8 and one 5.56 with ARP barrels. They are accurate, I can’t coax the sub moa just yet from one of the 6.8- my fault. Have a back up in the safe jic I ruined the one barrel by drilling out the gas port. More than likely- I just need to spend more time with it at the range.
Problem with more time at the range- the wife and a 3 and 7 year old.

Listen to all the good folk here.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My 16" ARP shoots sub 1/2" MOA (that was six shots at 100yds), and that was with a nasty mil-spec trigger. That's only ONE reason why I have 5 ARP barrels waiting for my attention to build.
So does my wife's 16" ARP, with 120 SST. Sad thing is her 16" is the most accurate rifle in the safe and she said I change scopes and loads too much and I can't play with her gun anymore and she is happy with the bullets it's sighted in for . I would love to put a higher power scope on it and see how tight I could get cavity back 120 s to group but it is not worth the chance of getting caught .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 73613
This is pretty common with ARP barrels.

He even made a 7.62x39 that shot Wolf & Tula at moa and almost .5moa with hornady and handloads.

Thank you for the accuracy report. Now to find a 11.5 in stock. Not a 12.5inch fan, I have had a number of 10.5,11.5 and 12.5 barrels, and 11.5 is about the longest I would like to find. Thank you again for your response.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts