6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Built the 5.2 pound 204 Ruger for Mike who lives behind the enemy lines in communist Kalistain. I liked it so much I am going to build my own 204 Ruger here in Free territory of the Battle State, free Nevada.

Just ordered the barrel from Wilson Combat, it is among the lightest 204 barrels and true match grade too. Accurate as can be. Fluted and 18 inches weighing only 34.6 ounces. Most AR 204 Ruger barrels weigh closer to 5 pounds, and the complete rifles closer to 10-12 pounds. YOU DON"T NEED WEIGHT TO FIGHT THE 204 MASSIVE RECOIL!

I will be using one of my 4 extra Mag Tactical lowers, upper receiver will be one I have that has no F/A and no dust cover. I have a sweet black titanium gas block that uses 3 set screws, scallops on the side. I just like it a lot.

Will be using a National Match super lite carrier and an adjustable gas carrier. Of course it will have a carbon fiber hand guard as I just ordered one in 10 inch and one 12 inches, plus I have at least 2 in the garage.

I don't have to go expensive to keep this build under 5 pounds.

Most of the local 204 ruger factory ammo is over a dollar a round, but Outdoor Limited in the free state of North Carolina has both Hornady and Fiochi 32 and 40 grain V max ammo for just over 50 cents a round. Ordered 250 rounds for $140 so with shipping they came to 56 cents a rounds, not bad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you've ever been prairie dog shooting in South Dakota, you would know why the 204 barrels are usually heavy.
Two of us fired 3500 rounds of 20 Tactical in two days.

When the PD's are in the 400-600 yard range, with some wind, you have to walk the bullets in. With a decent weight gun, you can fire and maintain the scope image and watch the bullet strike. If you're within a few inches, a quick Kentucky windage adjustment is made and another round can be immediately let loose.

During recoil, if you lose the imagine in the scope, even for a split second, you're screwed.

Of course, if you're not doing this kind of shooting, then it really doesn't matter.

Tony

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tony,
I have shot PDs with iron sights 22LR at 100 to 150 yards with 10 to 20 MPH winds in Nebraska, lots of fun.

But 3500 rounds is WORK, and if it costs just 30 cents to reload that is still $1050 worth of reloads. I hope they were paying you.

Another question, how many rounds at 4100 FPS before the barrel is worn out? Curious as I have shot barely 50 rounds or 204. Doing the Google it seems most 204 barrels will be shot out after 1500 rounds.

When I shoot I usually take at LEAST 2 rifles, that way I shoot about 20 rounds and switch rifles, letting the other one to cool down. MY Lilja barreled 223 Wylde shoots the 52 grain SMK super accurate. I might try some lighter weight bullets out of it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I can't speak for .204R specifically, but I know the .20P with zero free bore chamber, many people are reporting no loss of accuracy over 3500 rounds. Ballistics mirror the .204R but is reload only if that's a concern. I have a 24" spr profile barrel on my .20P and it's a nice mid weight profile for bench or blind shooting.

I'll be reloading some 39gr TNT soon and testing it out, hopefully they shoot well, but it's an inherently accurate round placing most all bullets at or below MOA.

You'll have fun with it, that's for sure!

-Alexander

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, 3500 rounds is great barrel life. Still shooting 1750 rounds in one day is half a barrels life. If that barrel cost $500 then $250 for one days shooting. I would want to get paid for that much work.

I have heard the 20P was better, but for smaller amount shooting the 204 Ruger is FUN enough.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upper Parts

The BCG weighs 9.15 ounces

The V7 BBL Nut (Ti) and CF retainer weighs 2.20 ounces

The upper receiver weighs 6.70 ounces, no F/A and no dust cover

The charging handle weighs 1.35 ounces so I am at 19.45 ounces

Add the Ti gas block and gas tube at 1.50 ounces and the CF hand guard between 3 and 4 ounces, plus the 34.6 ounce barrel upper comes in at 59.55 ounces or 3.7 pounds.

I have several Mag Tact lowers that weigh between 14.10 ounces to a heavy 18 ounces. Using the 14.1 ounce lower I would be at 4.37 pounds without scope.

I ordered another Super Stoc probably will use for this rifle as I don't need it super lite. If I needed it heavier I would add a wood rifle butt stock, the laminate would be cool and add over 25 ounces. I would pay extra for the Boyds red and Black laminate, it is a show stopper.

This was my Savage with BHW 6.8 SPC barrel a couple of years ago

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The .20P is fun and I built mine for coyote and light varmint use, no dog towns around here for that high volume shooting.

My .20P is the bottom one here, it's all finished now. The other upper is my 6.8 with NM profile heavy bull barrel (1.050, 0.936, .0920) so you can see the weight savings.

-Alexander

·
Registered
39 Posts
The loads were really too hot....running 4200fps+ with 33gr Hornady bullets.
I had a 25" heavy barrel on my gun and it was shot out in the weekend. There were some 60 shot strings that were fired in a minute or two, seriously heating the barrel. I rebarreled it when I got home. I was using a 1:12 twist stainless Pac-Nor super match blank.

It's hard to stop shooting when you have a target rich environment out in front of you.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ok, got to ask. How long and how much does the 20P barrel weigh? Cost? And how does it shoot?
I don't have the exact weight, but my barrel is a BHW, 24" spr profile and is probably right around 40oz or so. Not terribly heavy. I bought mine lightly used (200-300 rounds) with some ammo and about 300 already converted cases for $300. McGowan has the reamer to do .20P barrels with I think just a couple months lead time, but BHW is good too. Mine is a 10 twist so I can shoot the 40 grain pills and such, don't think it would shoot the 55 grain pills very well though.

Mine shoots sub MOA with 23.5gr IMR4198 and 32gr Vmax right about 4100fps. It really is a sub MOA "all day long" as its so easy to shoot. That load is a little hot, but very minimal pressure signs. I will be going over to H335 or 8208 and the speer 39 TNT with win small rifle primers. H335 will usually net you around 3500-3600 fps but it's cheap and easy to get.

I can get the barrel diameters tonight after work.

-Alexander

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when you have a target rich environment
sounds so cool. But I hate loading magazines too, I load up as many as I am going to shoot at home before going. All my pistols have between 12 and 19 magazines, I usually only shoot 10 round 308 magazines and 10 or 15 round AR 15 mags.

Wow, 60 rounds in a minute will heat up any barrel FAST. You know there is something known as too much FUN.

That stainless Pac-Nor super match blank isn't cheap either. Too bad you don't have videos, as the kid on TV says, MAHYEM.

Someone ought to make a video of your shooting at the feet of the PDogs, make them dance like old westerns. I am getting a vicarious thrill just thinking about 60 to 120 rounds going down range that fast. Talk about the smell of gun powder, like Victory!

I have too much Scottish blood in me, that's over $60 a minute using factory rounds in 204 Ruger.

You got to have an automatic press to load those 20P rounds, you need the 100 round Surefire magazine so you don't have to switch mags.

Most Yotes would be three counties over if you didn't slam then right away. Nice thing about Pdogs is they stand up and yell at you, they are saying in PDog talk "You can't touch this".

My barrel shipped and expecting to get it next Monday. It will be done Monday night and shot Wednesday when the range opens. Will be using the same Vortex Viper 6-24 power so I can see those little holes the 204 makes!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Once the initial neck down is complete on the .20P brass, you just size and load like normal. Using a progressive to neck down is nice though. First stage is a gutted .223 die (no expander button) which will get you close, then next stage is your redding S die with proper bushing (I use .226 for my brass, but .225 or .224 are common). Then trim and reload like normal.

I'm here behind enemy lines, so I'm stuck with 10 round mags, but I do hunt NV often enough for me to have a cache box of hi-cap mags buried in the dessert!

Most pills going 4K vaporize on impact and are rather "exciting" to watch as they vaporize small targets too. Apples are fun to shoot! Try it, it's fun to make apple sauce!

-Alexander

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
One thing to remember that I found out the hard way, when venturing into sub .22 caliber rounds, most all cleaning rods, jags, patches, powder funnels, etc start at .22 and go up from there. I was nearly done with my build and realized I had only .22 cal cleaning stuff as well as needing a .20 or .17 powder funnel!

Cutting down .223 patches is not fun, but I did find that cutting down .243 or .277 in half was easier and worked well. That's if you buy pre cut patches.

-Alexander

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeh you can't buy fun like that.

But $20 to 23 per 100 bullets is expensive. That is why I will be keep using factory rounds, found Hornady and Fiochi @ $23 per 50, after shipping they come to 56 cents a round.

Is there a resale on once fired 204 Ruger brass?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In a brass and reloading sales group I'm in on Facebook, I see people asking for .204R brass pretty often.

@ $0.56/Rd, that's a pretty good price for factory ammo. I'd bet you could recoup probably $0.50/Rd on the brass, though I haven't seen any sales to back that up yet. But, if people are looking for it, I'd bet they would pay it...

-Alexander

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I won't get greedy, but even @ 40 cents that puts the plastic tipped factory rounds less than the cost of the bullet.

Both the Hornady and the Fiocchi are using the V-Max 32 and 40 grain bullets, they have nothing lighter.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
0.50/Rd I feel is a reasonable and inexpensive price for a scarce round on the secondary market. You may end up finding someone who has a high demand for new brass and is willing to buy from you as fast as you can shoot it. I found a non-reloading 6.8 shooter who is happy as can be to sell me all his brass to put towards new ammo, I just text him to see what he has and shoot him the money. He doesn't even post it for sale anymore, lol!

I know the 20 cal rounds are popular on the accurateshooter forums, might be able to sling it quickly over there too, worth a look. Brassbank on FB is where I see the inquirues for it. You could make it a very inexpensive gun to feed if you find the right market to sell the brass.

-Alexander

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.