6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! Looking to get a 6.8 for shooting, maybe for some Deer hunting.
I will definately be getting a 16" barrel carbine. Jesus all this info is confusing.
My question is, What Manufacturer 6.8 rifle can I buy and shoot the largest
range of ammo. Stag, DPMS, Bushmaster, someone else?
PLEASE, someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Reaper

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ok of the list of manufactures that you mentions, the best of them utilizes a SPCII chamber and a 1:11 twist, and thus would be capable of firing the SSA Combat loads. Some of them may have problems with hot handloads if you are planning on going that route. I believe Stag definately uses the SPCII chamber, while the DMPS does not. You may have problems if you go with the DPMS because of their tight chamber. Have you looked into the Xtreme upper by Titan Arms and AR15Performance.com. Each one of their uppers will utilize and Improved chamber and have a more correct 1:11.25 twist rate. By all means welcome to the board and surf around a little, you will find a plethora of information that will help you make your choice.

You might want to check out the new Stag 20 In hunting upper that is being released soon also

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Ron169 has you on the right track. Keep in mind the following as the combos to look for:

SAAMI chamber and 1:9.5 and 1:10 - outdated and being replaced across the board by the major AR manufacturers offering 6.8.

SAAMI chamber and 1:11 - Adequate, but WOA is now making SPC II chambers. The twist is good. You can ream a SAAMI chamber to the newer SPC II.

SPC II chamber and 1:10 - Adequate but maxed with SSA combat loads. The SPC II chamber goes a long way to reduce initial pressures.

SPC II chamber and 1:11 or 1:12 - Very good, many manufacturers are moving towards this combination. It lowers pressure and allows higher performance ammo to be used.

DMR chamber and 1:11, 1:12 or 13 - You'll see these combos from AR15Performance and Titan Armory. These are cutting edge performance combinations.

The Xtreme upper for $599 has the potential to be the best performance available at an amazing price. White Oak Armament, Denny's GTS, Noveske have great specs also. CMMG and RRA are going to update their 6.8 offerings also. Stay tuned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts