6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my little bit of free time I have created a way to start testing bullet performance. I got the idea from a video I saw and with the help of a friend I have designed a bullet trap. I’ll basically fill it with water and shoot through the taped off hole and hope 36” of water will stop bullets. As a just in case I got a few spare pieces of 1/2” plexi if I shoot through some. I can also add something to the back to keep from shooting through the rear plexi

·
Super Moderator
22,286 Posts
Make up a batch of ballistic gel and fill it up.

·
Banned
2,278 Posts
So in my little bit of free time I have created a way to start testing bullet performance. I got the idea from a video I saw and with the help of a friend I have designed a bullet trap. I’ll basically fill it with water and shoot through the taped off hole and hope 36” of water will stop bullets.
Have you tried filling the tank with water? With that much water pushing against the tape, does the tape stay stuck against the plexiglass to keep the water from forcing its way out the hole?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried filling the tank with water? With that much water pushing against the tape, does the tape stay stuck against the plexiglass to keep the water from forcing its way out the hole?
I used A/C tape stick on the inside. 2 layers and it held with no problems. I also tried gorilla tape and had no problems with that either. I just have to empty a lot of water and dry the plexi really well every time

·
Banned
2,278 Posts
I used A/C tape stick on the inside. 2 layers and it held with no problems. I also tried gorilla tape and had no problems with that either. I just have to empty a lot of water and dry the plexi really well every time
When you put a bullet hole in the tape, some of the water will empty itself. 😎

FWIW, I think 36" of water might be enough to capture the bullets. I used to do such testing, although my set-up was much less sophisticated than yours. I put a package of uncooked beef brisket in front of three, one-gallon plastic jugs of water, backed up by a thick phone book. It was a long time ago, so I don't recall if any projectiles passed through all three jugs.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Flextape....they show it going on wet. They made a boat out of it so it has to be good

·
Registered
273 Posts
How about aluminum foil tape from home depot? It can be applied completely submerged, glue is pretty good as well. Given it's intent for wet environments, seems like a cheap and well suited tool.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about aluminum foil tape from home depot? It can be applied completely submerged, glue is pretty good as well. Given it's intent for wet environments, seems like a cheap and well suited tool.
that’s basically what I have, aluminum foil AC tape

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you put a bullet hole in the tape, some of the water will empty itself. 😎

FWIW, I think 36" of water might be enough to capture the bullets. I used to do such testing, although my set-up was much less sophisticated than yours. I put a package of uncooked beef brisket in front of three, one-gallon plastic jugs of water, backed up by a thick phone book. It was a long time ago, so I don't recall if any projectiles passed through all three jugs.
but I can always add more tape to seal the hole

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It may have been mentioned but have you checked X man's bullet testing posts? We have taken game with almost every bullet he tested (95-120 grn )from point blank to 300 yd out of 12.5 - 18" barrels and found his results to be spot on .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It may have been mentioned but have you checked X man's bullet testing posts? We have taken game with almost every bullet he tested (95-120 grn )from point blank to 300 yd out of 12.5 - 18" barrels and found his results to be spot on .

I might have seen it. I have read a lot of posts all over the internet about bullet testing. My biggest goal is to test some cast bullets I have

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I might have seen it. I have read a lot of posts all over the internet about bullet testing. My biggest goal is to test some cast bullets I have
I understand , what I mean is his method surprising duplicates real world performance . I originally thought it was not going to be an accurate test without skin and bones but actual test on critters proved me wrong . I was suggesting you might want to check our his 6.8 bullet performance section for ideas on trap matterial and layout .

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand , what I mean is his method surprising duplicates real world performance . I originally thought it was not going to be an accurate test without skin and bones but actual test on critters proved me wrong . I was suggesting you might want to check our his 6.8 bullet performance section for ideas on trap matterial and layout .

I’ll check it out. I’m always interested in bullet performance data

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Looks like it will work, let us know how it performs.

What we did back in the day (which was a Wednesday in case you didnt know 😆) was stack about 10 to 15 phonebooks and leave them out in the rain. Worked very well but they don't make phonebook anymore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like it will work, let us know how it performs.

What we did back in the day (which was a Wednesday in case you didnt know 😆) was stack about 10 to 15 phonebooks and leave them out in the rain. Worked very well but they don't make phonebook anymore.
I can get phone books still but I’m going to try straight water first. I just need to get time to get out and shoot. I’m also waiting for my friend to get electric on his empty property to power the well so I don’t have to bucket water from the pond

·
Registered
273 Posts
Depending on how specific you want to get and how much testing you want, ClearBallistics has sale going on right now, I picked up two 16x6x6 blocks of 10% FBI spec. My dad bought one as well and then got the mold. Typically you can get 3 - 5 shots into a bock before you need to melt it down. It can be re-used quite a few times, generally until contamination makes it too opaque to see into easily.

10% BALLISTIC GELATIN FBI BLOCK

Or you can get a whole starter kit with the mold and cooker to melt it back down. If you have a big crock pot already, you can just buy the mold separately:

FBI Block Mold

Not sure how long the sale will last, but maybe this is a good solution to get the most accurate and repeatable results. What is really nice is that you can see how the wounding looks in solid tissue mass in great detail along with fragment sizes (if it's a frag round). With the sale going on, $68 isn't bad if you really want to test a loads terminal performance. For hand loading, obviously you could work up some "weak loads" like X-Man did to simulate lower impact velocity and really see how it performs at the lower threshold.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts