6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my little bit of free time I have created a way to start testing bullet performance. I got the idea from a video I saw and with the help of a friend I have designed a bullet trap. I’ll basically fill it with water and shoot through the taped off hole and hope 36” of water will stop bullets. As a just in case I got a few spare pieces of 1/2” plexi if I shoot through some. I can also add something to the back to keep from shooting through the rear plexi

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
Make up a batch of ballistic gel and fill it up.

·
Banned
2,278 Posts
So in my little bit of free time I have created a way to start testing bullet performance. I got the idea from a video I saw and with the help of a friend I have designed a bullet trap. I’ll basically fill it with water and shoot through the taped off hole and hope 36” of water will stop bullets.
Have you tried filling the tank with water? With that much water pushing against the tape, does the tape stay stuck against the plexiglass to keep the water from forcing its way out the hole?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried filling the tank with water? With that much water pushing against the tape, does the tape stay stuck against the plexiglass to keep the water from forcing its way out the hole?
I used A/C tape stick on the inside. 2 layers and it held with no problems. I also tried gorilla tape and had no problems with that either. I just have to empty a lot of water and dry the plexi really well every time

·
Banned
2,278 Posts
I used A/C tape stick on the inside. 2 layers and it held with no problems. I also tried gorilla tape and had no problems with that either. I just have to empty a lot of water and dry the plexi really well every time
When you put a bullet hole in the tape, some of the water will empty itself. 😎

FWIW, I think 36" of water might be enough to capture the bullets. I used to do such testing, although my set-up was much less sophisticated than yours. I put a package of uncooked beef brisket in front of three, one-gallon plastic jugs of water, backed up by a thick phone book. It was a long time ago, so I don't recall if any projectiles passed through all three jugs.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Flextape....they show it going on wet. They made a boat out of it so it has to be good

·
Registered
224 Posts
How about aluminum foil tape from home depot? It can be applied completely submerged, glue is pretty good as well. Given it's intent for wet environments, seems like a cheap and well suited tool.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about aluminum foil tape from home depot? It can be applied completely submerged, glue is pretty good as well. Given it's intent for wet environments, seems like a cheap and well suited tool.
that’s basically what I have, aluminum foil AC tape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts