6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my friend took out his new 6.8 rifle for the 1st time.

The upper is supposedly a “Troy” built upper(Per what the dealer said) received from Troy back in November 08

Here are the specs:

16” CMMG Barrel (barrel spec per dealer)
Troy MRF rail/Troy BUIS
Troy Medevil Flash Suppressor

The rifle shot fine ejecting the brass to the 3-4 o’clock position, no flattened primers, no brass swipes.

He couldn’t get the shots on paper at 25 yards.

Moved it in to about 10 yards & took a shot. Rounds were hitting about 1 foot low & 6 inches to the right making a perfect silhouette. (I believe it’s called key holing)

The ammo he is using is Factory Remington 6.8 110 grain OTM (Didn't have any other ammo to try).

Any input & suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
3,086 Posts
The flash hide is the easiest place to start. The thread could be messed up causing the hider to be crooked or the flash hide opening could be a little small.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
OldMiss (Steve) had the same problem. After removing the flash hider...problem solved.

Flash hiders for .556 are sometimes installed by mistake causing the larger 6.8 bullet to contact the FH I.D.

Kerry

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to show you guys how bad it was!

Next time I see him, we will start with the flash hider theory,then different ammo.

· Registered
401 Posts
I have heard bad things about the threading job that CMMG does. Start with the flash hider and see if that fixes it, then have him send the upper to ADCO to fix the threads.
Is this a recent phenomenon with CMMG? Reason I ask is that my first 6.8 was a CMMG and aside from breaking an extractor (due to shooting SSA Xtremes before I knew better), I had no issues with the build quality. It shot very well with SAAMI spec loads, but that was 3 years ago, things may have changed since then. Just curious...

As to the keyholing - along with the FH, I'd check to see if the muzzle crown isn't boogered-up.

· Registered
37 Posts
Is this a recent phenomenon with CMMG? Reason I ask is that my first 6.8 was a CMMG and aside from breaking an extractor (due to shooting SSA Xtremes before I knew better), I had no issues with the build quality. It shot very well with SAAMI spec loads, but that was 3 years ago, things may have changed since then. Just curious...

As to the keyholing - along with the FH, I'd check to see if the muzzle crown isn't boogered-up.
the problems with CMMG is some people have had issues with the threading not being concentric to the bore...the suppressor guys generally steer clear of CMMG barrels due to this as there have been issues.

It has been discussed at length on Arfcom and like everything else there are people on both sides.

· Registered
401 Posts
kaizer-

Thanks for the info, like I said, I was just curious as I hadn't heard about this issue with CMMG - I don't spend much time on Arf.com.

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

Got together with my friend this morning. His Troy medevil 6.8 marked flash hider has a swipe on the side of the exit port.

Removed it from the barrel & no further issues.

The exit of the flash hiderlooks to barely clear the bullet. Back to the seller it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.