6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to roll my own. Remington R1 slide, barrel and railed frame. The rest is all Wilson Combat. A couple more deliveries before I have everything but got a good start. Should be interesting.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
45acp I recon

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk
Yes 45 ACP

Fun!!! What caliber?
Is your Remington arms frame a Clark para cut?

I see several 45 parts but a ramped barrel which if your frame isn’t already cut for a ramped barrel and you’re going 45 I do not recommend ramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had to do some research this morning to figure it out but yes barrel and frame are Clark/Para cut. What kind of problems have you seen with ramped 45ACP barrels or do you think it just isn't needed?

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm on the other side of that coin, love the ramp barrel feature, never a problem with either of mine.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
45ACP should have a ramp 0.400” long for proper feeding. Shorter than .350 and you’re going to have nose dive issues where it stalls out before feeding up the ramp. Ramped barrels have 300” long ramps. Ramped barrels were designed to add case support to the higher pressure rounds such as 38super, 40s&w, 9mm and 10mm and they should be used for those rounds. The only time I recommend a ramped barrel for 45 is in a STI double stack frame and that’s a completely different ball of wax. Is your frame cut for a ramped barrel already?

I'm on the other side of that coin, love the ramp barrel feature, never a problem with either of mine.
What caliber?

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
45ACP should have a ramp 0.400” long for proper feeding. Shorter than .350 and you’re going to have nose dive issues where it stalls out before feeding up the ramp. Ramped barrels have 300” long ramps. Ramped barrels were designed to add case support to the higher pressure rounds such as 38super, 40s&w, 9mm and 10mm and they should be used for those rounds. The only time I recommend a ramped barrel for 45 is in a STI double stack frame and that’s a completely different ball of wax. Is your frame cut for a ramped barrel already?

The ramp on the barrel of this one is .350" and the ramped portion of the frame itself is approximately .145 and it appears to blend quite well. Hopefully that will negate any problems. From what little reading I have done this morning it seems that most say in 45 ACP it feeds and functions fine as long as the barrel is fitted properly. I guess I will see how it goes.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I build and work on 1911s for a living. It’s all I do is build these guns.

You’re not measuring the actual length of the ramp you’re measuring vertical down from the top most of the barrel bed. Ramped barrels are 0.300” per the blueprint.

I’m just trying to save you a headache down the road. Ramped barrels are not a good idea for 45. On top of that you’re creating a lot more work in not only fitting the barrel but also timing it correctly. Especially if the frame isn’t already cut for a ramped barrel.

Cifaldiprecision.com if you need to see my background and training.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I build and work on 1911s for a living. It’s all I do is build these guns.

You’re not measuring the actual length of the ramp you’re measuring vertical down from the top most of the barrel bed. Ramped barrels are 0.300” per the blueprint.

I’m just trying to save you a headache down the road. Ramped barrels are not a good idea for 45. On top of that you’re creating a lot more work in not only fitting the barrel but also timing it correctly. Especially if the frame isn’t already cut for a ramped barrel.

Cifaldiprecision.com if you need to see my background and training.

I realize that you know what you are talking about Brett. I wasn't questioning your expertise. The frame is already cut for the ramped barrel and frame and barrel are already purchased. Not sure what you would have me do other than try and make it work.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I realize that you know what you are talking about Brett. I wasn't questioning your expertise. The frame is already cut for the ramped barrel and frame and barrel are already purchased. Not sure what you would have me do other than try and make it work.
The good news is the frames already cut. Is it cut for a Clark/Para or Wilson/Nowlin? Can you show me a pic of the top of the frame?

I’m only trying to save you a headache down the road before you start. If the barrels untouched you could return and replace it but since the frames cut, no turning back now. Unless you want to do a different caliber of course.

I was only telling my background so you realized this is what I do and not just some random info.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting. They are so uncommon in factory guns. I can’t actually remember the last time I’ve seen a c/p gun in a factory frame. Cool.

Well good luck. If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Thanks Brett. This was intended to be a learning experience and already just today I have learned the difference in ramped, unramped, Clark Para cut and Wilson/Nowlin cut. Now I am learning to fit a firing pin stop.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Looking forward to following this thread. I've always wanted to try and build a 1911. Just not sure I could handle it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would I be correct assuming the frame is complete and ready to assemble? or 80% frame
It is a complete frame but still having to hand fit most parts. So far I have the slide assembled, meaning the firing pin stop fitted, and extractor fitted and adjusted. So far on the frame I have only fitted the trigger. Waiting on parts delivery tomorrow so I will be able to do a little more.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts