6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the third 6.8 I have owned. First was a Stag 7H that shot very well that I liked. Traded the upper off for a Savage in 260 Remington. Second was a sewer pipe of a barrel off ebay. I could never get it to shoot any better than 2 inch groups with one type of factory ammo. I could not get any reloads to shoot much better than about 3 inches. I spent way to much time and money in powder and bullets on that barrel. I cannot stand fussy barrels. So I dove into a ARP and a shorty break. I should have plenty of time to mount break in and dial in for the November Deer hunt. The kicker to this story is the ARP barrel cost me 5 dollars more than the sewer pipe with free shipping. I hope it likes the Barnes 95 TTSX I have a couple boxes of.

Should have just gone this route to begin with.

AL

·
Registered
457 Posts
Should have just gone this route to begin with.
Without a doubt.

I have an ARP 16" Socom profile and I love it. With factory Hornady 110 BTHP I've been consistently getting 3/4" groups. I can't speak to the Barnes 95 TTSX but I find it hard to believe you will be disappointed with the ARP barrel in any way. Good luck on your deer hunt when the time comes!!!

·
Banned
781 Posts
I just picked up a 18" ARP 6.8 barrel just a week ago. Broke it in last week but did not shoot for groups. Hopefully I will get to the range tomorrow and shoot for groups to see what it can do. If it is anything like my son's .277WLV ARP barrel I am going to love it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well, I do not think you will be disappointed with the barrel. My 16" will shoot sub moa if I do my part with factory 120 SST's. I just took my 12.5" 6.8 SBr and did a quick sight in at 25 yards with a T2 and a cheap magnifier and I shot a 5 shot clover leaf with the same ammo.

I love all of my ARP barrels and my new light weight SBR! :a21:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just tried out my new 16" ARP scout barrel today, 115 grain fusions were sub-moa and 115 grain American Eagle FMJ were less than 2 moa. Next range trip I have some 110 grain VMAX and 110 Sierra pro hunters to try.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I cant wait until I am far enough along in my builds to order mine. Let us know how it shoots for you.
I would highly recommend that if ARP has the barrel you want in stock, order it whether your build is very far along or not. They are extremely popular and wait times are long for those not in stock. I'm lucky to have two, one in 6.8 and one in .277 WLV, and they'll have to kill me to get them away from me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning, today is range day the barrel is mounted and all ready. I have a few rounds to try out. S&B 110, 85MPG, 120SST, and some 95 TTSX. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the 95 ttsx as I really want to use this bullet for deer and possibly a small black roaming the area. Ill keep you posted.

AL

·
Registered
457 Posts
Morning, today is range day the barrel is mounted and all ready. I have a few rounds to try out. S&B 110, 85MPG, 120SST, and some 95 TTSX. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the 95 ttsx as I really want to use this bullet for deer and possibly a small black roaming the area. Ill keep you posted.

AL
Best of luck to you...have a great shoot!!! Will be interested to read your results.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is an update. On my first trip out the plinking load of 85 grn MPGs shot about 1.5 inch
The factory Hornady 120s shot about an inch. I shot a few S&B 110s that did about the same as the 120s.
I know I can do better for two reasons.
The 1.5x6 weaver scope I have on it has a dot that covers about an inch or so at 100 yards. It is fast to get on target but precision lacks some.
The wind was blowing like hell one day I went out and the other was hot and had a pretty nasty mirage. I did take a few 300 yards shots just for kicks. After figuring the elevation I was able to hit a 4x6 steel plate about 3 out of 10

I have never had a barrel that was so easy to clean. The PSA receiver fit was perfect just took a few taps to get it in good and snug. I had no issues with my used bolt that probably has 500 rounds on it.
The shorty break is nice and unassuming. Being able to slide the gas block of if needed is great.
I have all the confidence this barrel will shoot better than I can with a better optic and some better reloads.
This barrel has a lot less pressure running the same loads as my other barrel. I had mild swipes on the old barrel. This one has none.
I very seldom shoot past 100 hunting so this setup will be fine this year.

I am very pleased with this barrel improvement/upgrade. After november I will put on a 4x16 bushnell I have and try to get some better groups and shoot out to 300 some.

AL

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought a couple of H's 18" barrels about three weeks ago. I checked his website and it showed only two left of that type so I jumped on them. Not sure what I going to build them into but his barrels are so good I couldn't pass.

I have several of his barrel already and they are the best that can be had in my opinion. I also have several Noveske barrels and H's are on par or better.

Enjoy your barrel/rifle it will shoot!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Things just got a whole lot better today. I changed the MOE hand guard to a FF rail. It made about a .75 difference in group size of the bipod with the 85 MPG 30.4 grns of AA2200. I managed to get a couple .75 inch groups.

I also ran some Fusion 115 MSR. They got about 1.25 inch on one group and I had horizontal stringing on another two groups. Now I know what causes diagonal and vertical stringing but have never seen groups with almost a perfect horizontal line.
Maybe a good cleaning after the Barnes then trying the federals again fresh?

Will try the 95 TTSX next.

I have been struggling with the 6.8 since I let my Stag7H go. Fought with a cheap azz barrel that cost me double in ammo to try and get accurate than the barrel itself. Finally gave up and bought the ARP.

AL

My rifle is pretty much a budget build.
16 inch ARP Scout with a shorty break
PSA BCG
PSA upper and lower
standard trigger with my own tweeks.
Black hawk stock
Fleabay keymod FF rail.
Topped with a Weaver 1.5 x 6x 32 (Good scope but not great for longer precision work.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts