6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last fall I left my game camera set up with a solar charger connected to it to see what kind of pictures I would get. I left it set up all winter at about 8000 feet elevation. I was super surprised when I went to get it today and it was still there and still worked. I had screwed the solar charger onto the tree and wrapped the strap of the game camera around the tree and put a couple screws through the strap. The snow had ripped the solar charger off the tree and it was laying on the ground still plugged in and facing up. The metal mounting bracket was bent pretty bad but can be fixed. It was reading 100% charge and the batteries in the camera were at about 80%. It also showed I had 60 pictures, awesome. So now I just needed to get home and see what they were....

Now comes the question. For some reason I did not get any pictures until May 15 2016. The camera was set up in August some time. From May 15th til now I have 60 pictures including one close up of some handsome guys face that was taken today at the same time I got to my camera.:a21: So I am wondering why no pictures until May 15? Did someone find my camera and erase the pictures? It has a memory card that I don't recognize and I can't remember if I purchased a new one for it or not. Did someone swap my card with their's, not sure why they would have?

I'm baffled, any thoughts on why I don't have any pictures until May 15th?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing, I found someones fancy walking stick laying about 15 feet in front of my camera. I am assuming it was from last fall. There was a tree laying on it and it looked like it had spent the winter there. Why didn't I have a picture of that guy?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few pictures of the camera. If nothing else I am super impressed that this thing lived through the winter. At one time it was completely buried in snow.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
neat grain pattern on the tree it's strapped to. perhaps it got too cold? perhaps battery went completely dead when it was buried?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
neat grain pattern on the tree it's strapped to. perhaps it got too cold? perhaps battery went completely dead when it was buried?
Ya I suppose the extreme cold weather could have effected it but I would think that the memory card would have held any previously taken pictures.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
sounds like either the memory card was swapped or wiped clean

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
That camera and charger look familiar :)

The only thing i can think of is that the snow built up on the camera sensors or the whole camera was covered in snow? I've had bears tear mine off the tree before. I dont think someone swapped your card, i mean if i was out and about in the woods i dont think i would have an SD card with me to swap out on a game cam that i stumbled across, it's more likely they would've took the whole thing.

Back to the charger, something knocked it off the tree, the mount is bent, snow wouldnt do that i dont think.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I wonder if the batteries died when it was covered with snow, then when it uncovered and recharged the camera started overwriting the previous pics?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The snow was definitely over the camera and charger. As the snow sets up and settles it pulls down on whatever is in it. There are forest gates that are almost completely crushed from just the snow. I would have though it was a bear but the wire was still in good shape and the camera was untouched. And yes Hillbilly you should recognize that setup. If you have any more you can send them to me and I'll test them out for you, if they pass I'll send them back.

I never thought about it restarting and overwriting the card. That sounds plausable for sure. Oh and I found a new memory card case in my desk drawer so it was my card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts