6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think i've made up my mind. Im looking around at aimpoints, and im hoping to not spend more than $400. I would like to be able to use it for home defense and maybe even some hunting. Is there an aimpoint that fits the bill? I know I could go by price alone (I see ther arent too many $400 and under) but I dont have any experience with these. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paulo!!!

Are there any particular aimpoint models you could suggest?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jbone said:
Thanks Paulo!!!

Are there any particular aimpoint models you could suggest?
Are you using NV device?
Do you plan on using a magnifier?
How far are you shooting?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no nv
undecided on the magnifier but it is a possibility
300 yards or less

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jbone said:
no nv
undecided on the magnifier but it is a possibility
300 yards or less
Get one with the 2MOA Dot. Either the 2MOA ML2 or 2MOA ML3. If you feel like spending $700 for a red dot, then get the M4.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how does the 2x magnification affect its ability to be used in close quarters?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jbone said:
how does the 2x magnification affect its ability to be used in close quarters?
Any magnified optic will be much slower in CQB. Even if you use both eyes open and use the BAC concept.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a Pro Staffer with Aimpoint, so I get this one alot. My favorite is by far the Comp M4S. They aren't cheap, but they will probably outlast you and your gun. If you are looking for under $400.00, take a very hard look at our C3. It is essentially a M3 without the same level of water proofing and NV capability. I sell these to a lot of patrol cops. THey have the 50,000 hour battery life (you leave our sights on all the time, and they don't turn themselves off), you can get a 2 or 4 moa dot, and they are submersible to 15 feet (which covers falling in a pool or stream, but they aren't designed to be dived like our other M series sights). For the money, they are a flat steal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks!

Edit: I wanted to ask what the differences are in in the MOA dots? Im new to AR's let alone optics :oops: Im assuming the dot sizes are different but not sure why. I imagine that in a situation such as home defense the size of the dot may not matter that much but when shooting longer distances it could. ??? (Thanks for your patience!)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jbone said:
thanks!

Edit: I wanted to ask what the differences are in in the MOA dots? Im new to AR's let alone optics :oops: Im assuming the dot sizes are different but not sure why. I imagine that in a situation such as home defense the size of the dot may not matter that much but when shooting longer distances it could. ??? (Thanks for your patience!)
The 2MOA dot will cover up 2" at 100 yards. The 4MOA dot will cover up 4" at 100 yards. In a CQB situation, you will eant the biggest dot possible becuase it is easier to pick up. Here is my little rule when picking a 2MOA or 4MOA dot:

4MOA Dot: Best for 0-50 yard shooting.
2MOA Dot: Best for 0-300 yards shooting and when using a magnifier.

It doesn't mean that you can't use a 4MOA dot at 300 yards, it is easier to use a 2MOA for it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you very much!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I have yet another question! :lol:

What mount should I get for the CompC3? I see that the optic comes with rings for weaver bases? (Not sure what that means for me) Is there a mount that would allow me to co-witness the red dot with the iron sights? It took forever for me to figure out which scope to go with now I have to figure out how to mount it! :? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jbone said:
So I have yet another question! :lol:

What mount should I get for the CompC3? I see that the optic comes with rings for weaver bases? (Not sure what that means for me) Is there a mount that would allow me to co-witness the red dot with the iron sights? It took forever for me to figure out which scope to go with now I have to figure out how to mount it! :? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
If you have the cash, get the LaRue Tactical Cantilever CompM2 LT-129.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I just got a comp3c 2moa to use in the scout position of me 45/70 guide gun
It's my first Aimpoint, nice unit
I have used them, just never owned one, have had Eotechs and ACOGs as well as a ton of regular scopes..

can't see why the civillian would need more
and at night it doesn't suffer from any flare, you can get a very small and defined dot
in day light if you want it to stand out, just turn it to max

1 - 17 of 17 Posts