6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a .50 BMG single shot upper and would like some feedback from those who own one.

Not looking for a competition rig necessarily, but would like a good well thought out design with good field accuracy.

Ability to use a quality AR trigger preferred.

From a company with good customer service record and reasonable delivery times.

Box mag not needed or desired.

Intermediate barrel length.

Input on effective muzzle comps also appreciated.

Thanks.

Kerry

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hey Kerry....

I searched all the competitors in the upper market... and I cam across Bohicaarms.com.... I have had the chance to fondle his upper and it is a work horse.... very well made and since he does all his own work in house... the cost is only 1250.00 plus 38.00 s/h

there is a wait but he asks for no up front money....

he has the best prices and although he is swamped with work... he is a good guy....

check it out...

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had looked at the Bohica upper...and it certainly is reasonably priced, but I also read a number of comments from disgruntled buyers re: his lack of good customer service.

The upper I am leaning toward is the Ferret 50...but am open to input from owners.

Thanks.

Kerry

BTW..I have just joined FCSA as a result of other owner's suggestions to do so before buying.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The trigger is bit tricky from what I understand as the firing pin needs to be hit with more force but still doable. For compensator the only way to go is a baffle comp. That is what 99% of BMG barrels have so that should not be an issue. Whatever you do don't try to shoot one without a comp installed from a bench position. No position is fun without and from a bench can actually be dangerous . AS for an upper:

Not a Upper but th Armalite AR-50 would be a very good choice that fits your list perfectly except for the AR trigger but the trigger is good. It will hold 1 moa with Summit match ammo and 1.5 with their lower cost stuff. 2moa and under with th Mil surplus but it varies.

Check here for a complete list : http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=195940

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim,

Thanks for the link.

The final choice will be limited to a .50 AR upper only.

Kerry

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got a Bohica on order-30" with match chamber. I put my order in March this year. I hope to get it end of Nov to the 1st of Dec (my estimate from hearing when others ordered and received theirs).
Glad to hear what Black Lion says from 1st hand exp.
The Bohica MK III seems to have any minor problems worked out. Good feedback on his latest brake. Most of the customer service complaints have to do with how busy he is. Sometimes people don't hear back from him for a week or so. He does seem to back up his product. I'm really looking forward to getting one.

The Ferret and the ALS are supposed to be very good. I've heard the wait for an ALS is a year plus or minus. Don't know about the Ferret.
I wouldn't mind an Armalite ar-50 as Tim suggests. I have heard of accuracy issues with Barrett bolt and semi. Things like Ar-50 1 moa with great ammo. Barrett 2-3 moa with great ammo. Don't have any long distance feedback on the Bohica but the targets I've seen (online)at 100 to 300 look like it should shoot as good as the ammo and triggerman can do. (like the Ar-50). The ALS is best know for accuracy of all the AR upper style 50's.

I'm going for the Bohica due to price and features. I'm like you in staying with the AR platform gives us many options.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Kerry.... I can assure you that all the complaints are just whining babies that cant comprehend the fact that he was a one-man shop with a 9 months pregnant wife.... he was also having issues with other manufacturers not having his orders filled...

He recently changed to a MK 3 version that is superb... he is manufacturing it all in-house now and does have some help... He is a real stand up guy whom I dont know from adam... I just understand his situation and can accept that he charged me nothing up-front and he upgraded my MK 2 to the new design at no charge....
I tell everyone... if you cant get him thu email or via phone... try and try again... I bet you he is working on uppers....

I spent 30 minutes with an MK 2 and it is SUPERB... the MK 3 is even better...

I ordered in feb and got the 995.00 price....

I bet you if you call safety harbor, serbu, or any of the other ar-15 upper .50 s they will take your money and still you will wait for months....

He is doing a great job giving all the crap that has happened to him and his family over the past couple of months.... If you hang with him... you will be rewarded immensley with an outstanding product...

I dont like bs... and Chris is a strait up guy... I have seen him tell people to go elsewhere... that says something to me... dont heed the nagging Kerry

hell with no deposit you can always cancel

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback..,
I will get on the Bohica wait list and continue to watch the others as the political situation comes to a head.

Kerry

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
owenslee said:
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback..,
I will get on the Bohica wait list and continue to watch the others as the political situation comes to a head.

Kerry

The guys who shoot the AR-50 from ARMALITE say its accurate as all get out, the draw back is, it does not break down like the Barrett, BOHICA etc for storage into a safe.

That said, I would prefer the AR-50 myself.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I actually think Chris from Bohica recently registered on this site interested in the 6.8 spc....

ahhh the irony.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Ultralite 50 upper with a 24" barrel and have been very pleased with it. Not sure what the wait is now but it only took a couple three weeks to get mine a coule years ago.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts