6.8 SPC Forums banner

Need help choosing an EOTECH

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  snort 
#1 · (Edited)
I am wondering if anyone has a preference of the AA battery scopes or the N battery scopes. The Eotech 551 to 552. The Eotech 511 to 512. I Know the AA batteries last longer, but is there a great difference in size? What models are the most popular? I want to cash in on the Live.com discount so I want to make sure I buy the right one. Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
I have a Bushnell Holosight (basically the same as the 511), and I can tell you that if you use it in cold weather, the batteries will be affected. There isn't a huge difference in length, and the advantage of running the lithium AAs is well worth the extra 1" of length and huge jump in battery life.

My Holosight just died on me, and if it ends up being too expensive to fix, I'm going to buy a 512.

#4 ·
It's much easier and cheaper to get the AA batteries and you can get lithium versions for long life. I think the consensus is that the 512's are the way to go unless you are space limited. I'm not sure if the battery issues they were having affected both.

#5 ·
I have the 123 battery one and I like it, I have the AA one at work and I dont mind it. The AA one definitely dies before the 123 battery does. and the 123's have come down in price since so many people use them now.
But the AA versions are cheaper.

#7 ·
paulosantos said:
I would definitely go with the 516 version. It uses the CR123 batteries and it sits up higher for a lower 1/3 co-witness.
I didn't realize that there was a CR123 version! I have a virtually unlimited supply of CR123s (Duracel Ultras, even) for free, so that is definitely the direction I'll go if I need to buy one.

So, paulo, if it sits higher naturally, then would the YHM EOtech riser that I have be unnecessary?

#8 ·
loonybin said:
paulosantos said:
I would definitely go with the 516 version. It uses the CR123 batteries and it sits up higher for a lower 1/3 co-witness.
I didn't realize that there was a CR123 version! I have a virtually unlimited supply of CR123s (Duracel Ultras, even) for free, so that is definitely the direction I'll go if I need to buy one.

So, paulo, if it sits higher naturally, then would the YHM EOtech riser that I have be unnecessary?
It already comes with the built-in riser soI definitely wouldn't get any riser.

#9 ·
loonybin said:
paulosantos said:

I've got a 553.A65 in black that I'm not really happy with. I think I'm going to go back to irons as I didnt care for the aimpoint or the EOTech. I'd let it go for $500 (its had, at most, 5 shots go through the rifle with it on top).

ETA: This one http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=1&cat=1

#11 ·
Ergonomics mostly. Its rather a pain to get on and off - especially compared to the aimpoint where you just turn the knob. Also, the mount is crap compared to a larue setup.

I really wish I could get an aimpoint with the eotech reticle.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.