1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i bought the one without bcg and handle couple of weeks back, they had it for 289 and free shipping

·
Registered
249 Posts
You'll end up replacing the charging handle anyway. Get the one without the BCG and CH. Buy a Cryptic Coatings BCG too!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
yes, i changed the charging handle to a bravo company ambi, and put an ARP super bolt in a Fail Zero carrier

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've gotten to the point that I won't use anything but the AXTS Talon.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK some people said SS HCF barrels are better and last longer? Any advice and such...I hate it when I get to much info at times! Oh well. :confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK some people said SS HCF barrels are better and last longer? Any advice and such...I hate it when I get to much info at times! Oh well. :confused:
Better how? Cold hammer-forged is claimed to last longer before the rifling wears down as I understand it. If it's Chrome lined, then you're getting a barrel that will last longer than a stainless steel Barrel but it isn't quite as accurate as a stainless steel barrel. You might not notice a difference with Factory ammo unless you're sitting on a bench rest comparing. If you get one that is melonite coated, then it's supposed to last longer than a chrome-lined Barrel while retaining the accuracy of a stainless steel barrel.

Cold hammer-forged may not be as accurate as a button rifled barrel or a cut rifled barrel. You might get one that is more accurate than anything you've ever used. Your particular cold hammer-forged Barrel might be better than the rest.

The fact is about the life of a barrel, if you're the type of person who already shoots enough that wearing out of barrel is a concern, then you already know all this. If you're not that type of person, then you're not going to wear out any of those barrels and you should get either a stainless steel or melonite coated Barrel based on what you like the look of.

If you live on the coast or in a humid climate, you should consider getting a melonite coated Barrel , maybe. If it's about cost, then buy a used Barrel

·
Registered
249 Posts
Generally speaking, the CMV barrels are supposed to last longer than the stainless steel barrels. Once again, we're talking about barrels that are fired 35 - 70000 times.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
He meant SS CHF. They have some that are advertised as cold hammer forged stainless steel.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So what one would be "Better" in performance? :a31:
There won't be much difference in velocity, so the real questions are, of the following, what matters to you?

Match Accuracy
Reliability (feeding, ejecting, functional with all ammo types)
Barrel life (35k to 100k round limit)
Corrosion resistance
Cost
Appearance

In my opinion, ARP barrels have the optimal combination of all of these. There are reasons to buy other brands, but not many.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barrel life as I got two other 5.56.

I do know SS looses its Rust resistance after its been whammered in to a CHF barrel. An idea put in my head is the SS CHF barrel would be better than a thicker chrome. My Mini 6.8 shoots great and its a CHF barrel.

And to make matters worse I see a FN CHF barrel that has a FFT for 350 stripped... :a31:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Barrel life as I got two other 5.56.

I do know SS looses its Rust resistance after its been whammered in to a CHF barrel. An idea put in my head is the SS CHF barrel would be better than a thicker chrome. My Mini 6.8 shoots great and its a CHF barrel.

And to make matters worse I see a FN CHF barrel that has a FFT for 350 stripped... :a31:
If you have two 5.56s then why do you need a long life barrel? You have 3! Just kidding. You get what you want. Get 20 if you want.

Short answer: Word on the street is that melonite barrels have the longest barrel life (and the accuracy of SS barrels), but Chrome Lined barrels give you a long life as well and are often cheaper (and generally aren't as accurate).

I don't have any problems with CHF barrels. However, my 223 Wylde from AR Performance shoots under .25" it 100 yards. I'd recommend that barrel for multiple reasons.

1. Supporting an American entrepreneur who is one of the most helpful guys of all time. He is known as Constructor on this forum.

2. ARP's barrels offer the best features in one barrel.
4150 CMV instead of stainless, Melonite, 223 Wylde chamber, various lengths and profiles, Rifle-length gas on several (rifle-length gas and an adjustable gas block allows you to make your AR kick like a 10/22), a bolt headspaced with the barrel you buy, and a 5/8x24 thread pitch. Can't find half the features in that barrel anywhere else.

3. Accuracy, obviously. All those features combined make ARP the best package out there. You might find a more accurate match barrel, but it will either not have melonite or it will be heavy, of not be threaded or be midğlwnfth gas, etc.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I know all about ARP my main 6.8 is one :D.

Well since I was going to use it for an abuser I went with elcheapo 1 in 8 twist SS for 189.99 stripped one and getting a complete lower for it.

Thanks for all your advice. I have no technical skills or tools to put one together, I decided to go with 1 in 8 for lighter bullets. Its going to be the abuser harsh condition general shooter for my nieces to learn on.

Also the CHF ones I wanted went poof when I got dragged away from the internyet for to long. I hit check out and ~Poof~ gone.

If I could build I'd of gone with ARP. Thanks for all your advice guys.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
So what one would be "Better" in performance? :a31:
I doubt you would see much difference between the two. Everything PSA sells that says CHF is made by FN so should both be good barrels. Personally, I prefer melonite to either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts