6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum, first post, I did search prior to asking my questions, please share with me any thoughts you have. I am doing 6.8 build for deer hunting, I have plenty of larger bolt guns and hunt with a different gun each year spare me the "use something bigger" comments. Good shot placement and I don't want to overly damage the meat.

Anyway- My build will be- 15 performance barrel, Anderson upper, rifle length quad rail handguard, low profile gas block, etc... Question I have is on the muzzle break- When I search 6.8 muzzle break, I get a lot of return on 308, etc... Other than matching threads, what do I need to know about selecting a muzzle break? Hole size, etc... does a 308 one work? I need stainless to match the barrel I ordered and it doesn't have to cost an arm and leg to work.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
308 flash hider or brake will work as long its 5/8-24. Some of the brakes make the rifle very loud. A thread protector will work also.

I use the ARP shorty brake

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum, first post, I did search prior to asking my questions, please share with me any thoughts you have. I am doing 6.8 build for deer hunting, I have plenty of larger bolt guns and hunt with a different gun each year spare me the "use something bigger" comments. Good shot placement and I don't want to overly damage the meat.

Anyway- My build will be- 15 performance barrel, Anderson upper, rifle length quad rail handguard, low profile gas block, etc... Question I have is on the muzzle break- When I search 6.8 muzzle break, I get a lot of return on 308, etc... Other than matching threads, what do I need to know about selecting a muzzle break? Hole size, etc... does a 308 one work? I need stainless to match the barrel I ordered and it doesn't have to cost an arm and leg to work.
Use a linear compensator. Muzzle brakes will blow the hats off your fellow range mates. For a hunting rig LC's are the only way to go unless you intend to wear plugs or muffs when hunting. A brake will make you wish you did when you don't. What? Can't hear you, speak up.

Any 5/8 X 24 muzzle device is correct.

These are very good, look good and function as good the name brands. I have them on a 6.8, 308, and 277 Wolverine.

https://www.amazon.com/AR-Pros-Thre...7&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=Ar+linear+compensator

·
Registered
707 Posts

I don't think you'll hear anyone here telling you to use something bigger. The 6.8 is an excellent deer rifle out to 300+ yards with factory ammo. I have killed several deer and hogs with this caliber and I use a BRT Covert Comp. I don't know if you can get them in stainless though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

The 6.8 doesn't have that much recoil in the first place. So like mention, a linear comp, a flash hider or a suppressor. So my suggestion is don't worry about a break and grab a flash hider

·
Registered
18 Posts
Use a linear compensator. Muzzle brakes will blow the hats off your fellow range mates. For a hunting rig LC's are the only way to go unless you intend to wear plugs or muffs when hunting. A brake will make you wish you did when you don't. What? Can't hear you, speak up.

Any 5/8 X 24 muzzle device is correct.

These are very good, look good and function as good the name brands. I have them on a 6.8, 308, and 277 Wolverine.

https://www.amazon.com/AR-Pros-Thre...7&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=Ar+linear+compensator
I have this style of linear compensator as well on a 18" ARP barrel. Sends all the blast downrange without messing up the accuracy.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
A thread protector will work also.
This is all you need. Least expensive, lightest, and easiest on your ears.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Linear Comp...

I agree on getting a linear compensator. Brakes and even FHs are obnoxiously loud. I've gotten to where I only put thread protectors or linear comps on rigs. It's so much more pleasant when shooting at game, at the range, and especially for those around you.

ARP has a nice JAL. It's black, but has the nitride finish so will be resistant to corrosion.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yesterday I order 4 Arp JALs from Hs website. 2-556 & 2-6.8. Blems for half price. Can't beat that. I'll give a review asap

·
Registered
395 Posts
I run the ARP Vortex Comp (2 port) on both my 6.8s. Been pleased with them.
I run one of these currently, they work great but will definitely ring your ears. If you're shooting targets or deer with one or maybe two shots it's great but multiple shots will leave you ringing.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
My favorite is ARP's Eliminator. I have one on most of my ARs. You'll need hearing protection. The Vortex Comp is my second favorite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts