6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I acquired 2000+ 55 grain hornady spire point fb bullets (also known as the varmint nightmare bullet) for a very good price.

I have a bunch of TAC powder that I don't really use for much.

Does anyone have a killer load for the 55gr with TAC?

Let me know what you got so I've got a good place to start....charge weight, c.o.a.l., and brand of brass I have plenty of cci primers to use .

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I use Hornady 55g FMJs for my .223 plinker load, but this would be some placed to start. TAC is my go-to .223 powder, and I plan on loading about 2k of these exact round in the next few days. I use a 16" ARP .223 Wylde.

55g pill
Mixed headstamp .223 brass trimmed to 1.75" +/-
24.5 Gr Ramshot TAC
CCI 200 primers
2.25" COAL +/-
light crimp with LEE fcd

I would have to look up the MOA results, as I developed this load a few years ago, but unless a load is under MOA I don't use it, even for hunting. (I hate the "well it is just a hunting load, so that 1.75" accuracy should be okay" laziness)

And of course, start low, work up, blabity blah blah. You're an adult, you'll figure it out.

Aaaaand, pics for clicks. This is an afternoon of utilizing that load on Montana gophers...

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Hornady 55g FMJs for my .223 plinker load, but this would be some placed to start. TAC is my go-to .223 powder, and I plan on loading about 2k of these exact round in the next few days. I use a 16" ARP .223 Wylde.

55g pill
Mixed headstamp .223 brass trimmed to 1.75" +/-
24.5 Gr Ramshot TAC
CCI 200 primers
2.25" COAL +/-
light crimp with LEE fcd

I would have to look up the MOA results, as I developed this load a few years ago, but unless a load is under MOA I don't use it, even for hunting. (I hate the "well it is just a hunting load, so that 1.75" accuracy should be okay" laziness)

And of course, start low, work up, blabity blah blah. You're an adult, you'll figure it out.

Aaaaand, pics for clicks. This is an afternoon of utilizing that load on Montana gophers...
Very good, thank you...gives me a good starting point ( on the upper end of TAC for 223 and midcharge for 5.56) I picked these pills up for 4.5cents each so it was hard to pass up for plinking and chucks. ..maybe even yotes

If anyone has other good loads with TAC please post up

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I use 23.5 TAC in LC brass with 69gr SMK and 22.8 with a 77gr SMK set to 2.260. 24.5grs with a 55gr bullet should be fine.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use 24.5 grains of Tac also for Nosler 55 grain pills. Shoots great in several rifles.
I use 23.5 TAC in LC brass with 69gr SMK and 22.8 with a 77gr SMK set to 2.260. 24.5grs with a 55gr bullet should be fine.
Very good, sounds like a good load to try....thanks guys...appreciate the info

·
Registered
396 Posts
Very good, thank you...gives me a good starting point ( on the upper end of TAC for 223 and midcharge for 5.56) I picked these pills up for 4.5cents each so it was hard to pass up for plinking and chucks. ..maybe even yotes

good deal! where can i get some at that price lol.... i load them with h335 so i can't help you

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

good deal! where can i get some at that price lol.... i load them with h335 so i can't help you
I usually use h335 also, bit I thought since I have 8 lbs of TAC that I don't use for anything else-I'd give it a shot.

I bought them from a guy that was liquidating reloading supplies but Midwest reloading sells them normally for $43/500 and they call them the varmint nightmare ....they are bulk pack bullets produced by hornady exclusively for midway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts