6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys that have used the 100 and 110 NABs as well as the SSTs on game, how do they compare? Do you get full penetration with the NABs if placed through the shoulders?

I like the performance of the SSTs even when bone is impacted. Never tried the NABs, so thought I'd ask before diving in.

Thanks,

loder

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am interested in this also. Being new to 6.8, I have yet to take a deer with the caliber. My favorite shot is a broadside shoulder shot - I love to drop em where they stand for I hate to have to track em.

I have a big supply of 120 SSTs to load but will load 110 Accubonds if they are preferred for shoulder shots.

·
Registered
80 Posts
there is a thread around here that shows sst, NAB and several other bullets after being fired into gel. That thread helped me to decide that i will be developing loads with SST for pigs mostly and ttsx for deer. I'd love to develop NAB but i'm not wasting my time with something that seems to be a unicorn bullet. both Barnes and Hornady have bullets on the market at all times. I'll give them my business.

as for why i'll be using SST for pig and not deer so much..... the test i saw showed the lead core of the SST completely seperating from the jacket. I'd pefer to not have that happen on a deer.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
lots of info here : http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?33178-6-8-SPC-Bullet-Performance

I would compare the SST to a bullet more like the Nosler Hunting Ballistic tip as they are both cup/core bullets---the AB has a bonded core that seems to stay intact and mushrooms not separates

to each is own, some like monolithic so as not to contaminate meat with lead

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Thank you. I couldn't figure out what NAB was to save my life.

I hate acronyms.
NAB=Nosler Acuu Bond
NBT= Nosler Ballistic Tip
ABLR= Accu Bond Long Range
NST= Nosler Silver Tip
NP or NPART= Nosler Partitian
etc.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you can't find accubonds, run the SSTs. If you find the accubonds buy them and lots of them, then maybe use the AB.

I prefer the AB over the SST since the SST's core can/does separates leaving lead in meat. But for something like feral swine I would use a SST over the AB since I am not wasting hard to get projectiles on something like a pig.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My Opinion

I've shot quite a few hogs on my ranch in south Texas. All with 110 ABs. Most all were DRT. Most all were within 150 yds. Largest was 262 lbs.

ABs no good on small thin skin pests like Yotes and Catz. Punches holes right thru.

Deadly accurate in my ARP barrels.

That being said, I've sworn off them, as they're all but extinct. I'll be switching to 120 SSTs this season and not looking back. TXLAWMAN has proven their worth on hogs for sure. I don't usually kill the deer, that's the kids job! But should a trophy show up, I"ll blast away with the 120's. I believe they will be a better all around bullet for taking animals in my situations. Plus Hornady is more on board with the 6.8.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have only hunted with the ssts and they have done a great job, but I did break down and order 4 boxes of the 110 abs yesterday to try. Ab's shipped today. They have been so hard to get I thought I would grab some while I could.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
I personally use 100gr AB's. I found them to be more accurate in my gun then the 110's. I've shot a few hogs and one deer with the sst, and the meat devastation was much larger than with the AB's. I'm going to stick with AB's from here on out. For yotes, I switch to vmax because they work a little better on yotes, but keep the POI pretty damn close to the AB's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts