6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my boys worked hard this summer to get their cartridge displays made for our State Fair. So many people from ar15.com, xdtalk.com, and some folks on 68forums.com (RealTeacher, that boatload of cases was incredible!) were very generous with empty cases of varying calibers, and it really impressed the boys, especially those who included written notes to them. Cold wanted me to post the pics on the forum, and since he was so generous with donating some cases, how could I refuse? :mrgreen: Without further ado, here are the pics!

Once we had all of the cases, the boys sorted them by caliber, writing them down in order to find any duplicates and make future work easier.

I soaked the cases in some Iosso brass cleaner to get as much tarnish off as I could. After that, the boys got to work polishing them to make them really shine.

My poor son forgot to get his hand out of the way, and sanded his finger along with the edge of the board!

We took some wood trim and covered it in the same cloth that the backboard was covered in to provide a slight 3-D effect for the name tag area under the cases.

The tedious job of gluing each letter and case down precisely. 65 handgun cases and 110 rifle cases! Brendan didn't have two .50BMG dummy rounds for his title, so I made a couple wood XDs to flank his.

Michael wasn't sure if he would ever finish.

All the hard work really paid off!

This was all possible because of the generosity of so many people on ar15.com, xdtalk.com, and 68forums.com. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
That is very cool

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
nice job

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Great job guys.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Awesome, glad they each won! I think they will remember this project with their Dad a lot more then the blue ribbon in the long run.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
loonybin said:
Aaaand... they both got blue ribbons!

Thats icing on the cake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats to the young one's, very nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow!! That's awesome :mrgreen:

I remember seeing this somewhere else... when you were collecting the cartridges. Thought it was a cool idea then, and it's even better to see the finished product!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts