6.8 SPC Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For all my long time friends...I wanted to post the following to better explain why I am leaving the forum.

We have been a great forum comprised of outstanding individuals that has been the major source of 68 information on the web.
It took many knowledgeable people over the last nine years to create this resource.
Unfortunately current management does not fully appreciate and respect the forum they now own.

My resignation below was just sent as described.

I fully expect management to remove my comments at their first opportunity.

Kerry

To forum admin,

I have been a member of this forum since Feb 2008…only a few months after Jansen Jones "COLD" started the forum in July 2007.
I have been a Moderator since mid 2008.

I have been a moderator under three different forum owners…each with their own challenges.

In those years I have tried to assist in keeping this forum civil, technically centered and void of spammers, trolls and troublemakers. All…without payment or compensation for the many hours invested over the past eight years.
I have not always been popular but I have always tried to do what was best for the forum and its many diverse members.

We have been fortunate as a group to have a good but small set of four moderators who have hung together through thick and thin to keep this forum professional and free of the distractions that plaque other firearm forums. We each… to a man… have worked well together as a team.

But…moderating the forum has not always been easy. It has taken a toll on both family and personal health.

However this recent password fiasco and the attitude expressed by the administration toward well intentioned members was…for me…the last straw.

If I were not retired and still running my own business, and the admin representative named OSOKILL responded to members with his comment: "contact us desk is now closed for the weekend since you all are not even trying anymore and just flooding me with emails"…I would fire him on the spot. There is no legitimate defense for making such a comment…shifting blame to members when the system clearly was not processing password changes properly.

The reason I can state this is because of my own firsthand experience:

One week ago I received an email notice that all passwords would be reset, along with a request to change my password. This was not a surprise as there had been a notice posted on the moderator forum that a password reset was forthcoming. I complied and changed it successfully…then logged out and re-logged back on to insure it was working properly. It was.

Then Saturday 6/25 I received a SECOND notice that all passwords had been reset and I would have to change my password again. I attempted to log on using the password just updated a few days earlier…and was denied. I was assured that an email would be sent with a temporary password allowing me to again…log on to reset my password. But…no email was received.

I then made two requests later on Saturday to send a new password so I could effect this SECOND password update. I waited over 24 hours without a response of any kind…

On Monday 6/27 I attempted to log on again...and was rejected. Again…I requested a new password. This time I DID receive a response. However the email received indicated that my USER NAME had been changed, without my knowledge to:
" imported_owenslee".

Did the person arbitrarily making this user name change realize… is impossible to log onto any web site when your user name has been changed without your knowledge
..???
It is no wonder that my multiple previous attempts to log on were rejected.

I then requested yet another password change under my original user name and finally received a temporary password which allowed me to successfully log into my original moderator account…. three DAYs after this process started.

I can only guess at the number of frustrated forum members who were going through the same process due to obvious problems with the system.Yet…admins response via OSOKILL was to absolve the forum management from any responsibility…blaming it on the members "not checking their spam folders" for the appropriate message…when many reported receiving no email message of any kind.

Then… to add insult to injury…the admin bailed out for the reminder of the weekend…leaving all members in limbo until Monday morning. This is not only unacceptable management but it speaks volumes of the unprofessional-ism of the people charged with managing this forum.

When I was still working...any major IT upgrade was a manpower intensive "all hands on deck" process that required long hours until the system was operational and free of any glitches.
By contrast...our admin knew there were problems unresolved...blamed it on the members...and left for the weekend. Leaving the moderators, paying site sponsors and members fending for themselves until Monday.
That...is unacceptable "management".

What makes this situation more difficult…is that communication between the admin and Moderators was totally absent…save for the original notice of an impending password update.

During the process…there were no communications received explaining how we could assist members in this process.

There also was not a backup plan on how the moderators could still log into the forum when our own passwords were changed and no temporary passwords were forthcoming.
And to make this situation even worse…the forum administration declined to offer direct email addresses to the four moderators allowing them to contact the staff off site… when our inability to log onto the form effective cut off all communication to them.

By contrast…the four moderators had shared personal email addresses years ago for just such backup communication.

This entire password change process by admin was plagued with poor planning...nonexistent communication…and a failed lackadaisical implementation.

Based on the admins actions and inaction's over the past three days...I fully expect long term 68 members to leave the forum en-mass.
I note that several have already left...and I cannot blame them. They have legitimate reasons to leave given the way admin did not adequately respond to their requests.

As a result of these major failures and due to my firm belief that current forum administration does NOT have the best interests of the forum, it's members, its paying site sponsors and it's moderators in mind…I am submitting my resignation as 68 forum moderator effective immediately.
6/27/2016.

Kerry Owen

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Damn Kerry, that sucks and to lose you or any of our Mods may be the end for many of us...Best regards and thanks for the memories!!

you think this is a 300BO conspiracy to shut down the 68 forum?

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Yep, sorry to see you go Kerry. Hopefully will still see you around FB from time to time.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Kerry,

I hate to see you go but I do understand. I was locked out for 3 days and never received any emails from my requests which is very unprofessional. Thank you for the help over the years and I wish you the best.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hang Fast Kerry!

Like so many other things in this world/country, experience cannot be replaced. This forum needs you brother!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Kerry, I thank you for the brass from a year or 2 ago. Hate to see you go but we all move on at some point.

Good luck on your endeavors, and maybe one day our paths will cross

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Hi Kerry,
I understand the frustration but this is bad bad bad. hold on my friend and lets see if we can re-float this sinking boat.
This forum will not be the same without you !!!

----------------------

Do these folks doing the alleged 'improvements' even care about sending an apology to everyone and explain what the heck happened???

I am a pretty easy going person myself but I am starting to get really irritated with this entire deal.

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
Kerry,

I'm hoping that what I read was only a departure as a moderator, and not a departure from the forum in general.

Your presence in moderator capacity will be leaving a hole, and your efforts missed.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Kerry

Understood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hope you do drop in from time to time and contribute.
Proud to have met you and Kathy in person and to know you.
You've been through a lot in the last year or so and hope your health holds up as well as your strength and determination.

I'll continue to drop you an e-mail from time to time and check in with you.

Bill

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I really hate to see you go Kerry. You've helped me so many times I've lost count. I fully understand your frustrations and your problems in the "Security Password Reset" fiasco. I have been going through the same issues since Friday...almost to the letter except I never received any emails at the beginning of it. I just could not log in and kept getting the pop-up until I ended up locked out. I knew they had my email address because I got the locked out email. After several emails to administration and several attempts through the "Contact Us" link I finally was sent a temporary password. I went through the steps and updated my password only to discover I was locked out again several hours later. Again, no email, no explanation. I used the "Contact Us" link several times again. No response all day Sunday and not until 2:04 PM Pacific today. So, I've reset everything again. We'll see what happens tomorrow. If I get locked out again I'll also be outta' here. I've got better things to do and better ways to spend my time than dealing with apparent incompetence.

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
I really hate to see you go Kerry. You've helped me so many times I've lost count. I fully understand your frustrations and your problems in the "Security Password Reset" fiasco. I have been going through the same issues since Friday...almost to the letter except I never received any emails at the beginning of it. I just could not log in and kept getting the pop-up until I ended up locked out. I knew they had my email address because I got the locked out email. After several emails to administration and several attempts through the "Contact Us" link I finally was sent a temporary password. I went through the steps and updated my password only to discover I was locked out again several hours later. Again, no email, no explanation. I used the "Contact Us" link several times again. No response all day Sunday and not until 2:04 PM Pacific today. So, I've reset everything again. We'll see what happens tomorrow. If I get locked out again I'll also be outta' here. I've got better things to do and better ways to spend my time than dealing with apparent incompetence.
I found that going to 68forum.com home page and logging in from there, doing the "remember me" option, and also allowing my browser to save the new password I set... has negated further goat roping rodeos and things are returning to normal.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I found that going to 68forum.com home page and logging in from there, doing the "remember me" option, and also allowing my browser to save the new password I set... has negated further goat roping rodeos and things are returning to normal.
Did that and still got locked out hours later, just like Kerry did. Holding my breath for tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This was a wide ranging attack that compromised over 45 Million accounts. No apologizing for Vertical Scope, they screwed the pooch. I have no doubt people WERE fired for the failed security. The corrective actions were ham-fisted at best, and hopefully folks will be held accountable there too. I just don't see the point of leaving if you enjoy the interaction with the fine members here. I do understand the frustration though.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
I think the idea is enjoying the same comaradery but at a different url.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think the idea is enjoying the same comaradery but at a different url.
+10000 (you hit the nail on the head...comaradery and bashing don't go together well)

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Locked out again when I woke up this morning. What a mess. So, I just created a new account under lapriester2. Then, out of the blue I get another email a couple hours after a request to reset my old account again. So here I am again (for a little while at least). Obviously I reset the old one but I'm still keeping the new one. LOL, I almost named the new account "tickedoff68member".:a20:

I would truly like to just stay for the interaction but I'm not going to continue resetting, and resetting, and resetting 3-4 times a day to interact. If both these accounts go belly up today that's it for me too. Otherwise, I'm still keeping the spare so I can "interact". BTW, interaction is readily available elsewhere. I think we should all move to the MDWS Wildcat Forum and be done with it.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
mad dogs and wildcats don't mix well, too much data here to abandon. and i ain't interested in necking down a 50 cal case to 6.8 and loading to 5" long

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.