6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I built my 6.8 specifically for hunting.

I put in for elk this year and was drawn with 3 other friends as a group. I pulled a cow/antler less tag.

The search for a good hunting round began when I found out in April that I was drawn.

The amount of time and effort you folk put into ammo reviews and stats is astoundingly awesome. I have been reading non stop about ballistics and the ability of so many rounds. I have read testimony after testimony and what I thought was going to be a simple pick has turned into something different.

Since I won't be able to load my own ammo I have to rely on stock loads. So that where I focused my energy.

I narrowed my hunt down to 4 different rounds based upon hunting testimonies and ballistics reviews.
1. Hornady 110gr v-max
2. Hornady 100gr gmx
3. S&B 110gr w/Barnes TSX
4. DT Tactical 95gr Barnes TTSX lead free

All of these rounds got great reviews. The DT Tactical is a custom load by DoubleTap Ammo that uses the old style SSA brass with the Barnes TTSX lead free bullet(I read a testimonial on here that this bullet DRT'ed a 550lb hog and went through).

I settled on these four and bought two boxes each. One for hunting and one box to take to the range and check velocity and groupings. One of the things I picked up on with my reading is that each ammo will shoot differently out of a variety of barrels.

The one that has the best velocity and grouping will get loaded up when hunting.

I am super excited for the hunt as this will be my first big game hunt. The area I was drawn for is know for producing trophy elk(2014 world record elk came from this area at 400") but since I am hunting cows I figured 400-600lb animals would be the average and well within range and capacity for a clean kill. Shot placement is the most important and unless I have a clean shot my finger will stay off the trigger. I would rather not take a shot than wing the animal and lose it.

If you have input I am all ears. And when I get out to the range with the equipment I need I will get the stats and post them. It might be a while though as temps here are ridiculous at 114-120.
Material property Technology Book Payment card Snack Material property Technology Snack Book Material property Publication Font Label Signage Rectangle Sign

-Adam
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Bootleg6.8, of the four rounds you have purchased, leave the 110 Vmax at home. Its a varmint/fragmentation bullet. The other three are capable but you will be range limited. One way to describe a 6.8mm is it is a .270 Win minus 300 yards. I hunt elk in NM and all my shots have been between 325 and 400 yards. I use a .270 Win 130grain GMX or LRX bullet. I love my 6.8mm as much as the next person but I'd buy/borrow a .270 Win or larger caliber if you want to increase your chances of successfully putting meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you. The average range for elk in the area I am hunting(and the others I put in for) are 75-150yds. There are other areas that are a lot longer though. I wouldn't pull the trigger on anything over 200 with the 6.8 and definitely not if I drew bull elk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xman, you are right on the v-max. I just realized that's not what I meant to buy. Not a waste though as we have a lot of coyotes here and wouldn't mind going out on those before the elk.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on winning the elk hunting lotto. Sounds like you will be hunting in my area. My uncle got selected a few years ago go hunt elk, he used a 7mm magnum. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were drawn for 7w. Just above Flagstaff if my map is correct. We will go scouting in a few weeks so I can get the lay of the land. Possibly mark some spots on the gps.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
3 other loaded ammo options to look at are the Double tap 110 accu-bond, the double tap 100 accu-bond, and federal fusion 115 bonded

6.8 is not my first option for elk, it is doable at the distances you listed with correct shot placement though---good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts