6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel really horrible. Did I mention that I feel really horrible.

I thought I'd share this so maybe others don't do the same thing.

Last night I finished drying some clothes. I apparently opened the dryer door and checked the clothes. Anyway, this morning I close the dryer door and hit the on button. I was thinking of running the thing for another ~15 minutes, to shake out the wrinkles. Breaking out the iron is always the last resort. After starting the dryer, I jump in the shower. Several minutes in I hear a strange cat like sound, but dismiss it. I hear it again only louder. With my head lathered up, it finally hits me, my cat might be in the dryer spinning around. I jump out of the shower, slam the dryer door open and start yanking clothes out and throwing them on the floor.

I then see our grey cat. He was twisted up in the laundry, trying to right himself. I pulled him out and tried to stand him up. His head was shaking and he was trying to run away but he kept veering right and he would fall over. I thought he was broken and I felt like I was going to hurl. He was in there a good 3 minutes spinning. He finally laid down. His breathing was erratic. I finished my shower and checked on him. He was still just laying there. I felt horrible. He's always been an awesome cat. He would hang out with me in the back yard, while the dogs were hanging with the wife inside. Most mornings he would either be still rolled up in a ball next to my pillow or he'd be sitting on the night stand just staring at me.

He's OK now. He won't go in the downstairs bathroom where the dryer is. I could have killed him. I don't think he would have lasted much longer. I found him in there before. He liked to climb up in there and make himself a nice comfy bed and take a nap. We always worried that he might get spun up in there. I've done it before, starting the dryer in the morning for 10 or 15 minutes, and going upstairs to get a shower. We have a house guest upstairs presently and I decided to just shower downstairs. He would have been a goner for sure. I can't imaging killing my own cat. I can't imagine the hell that would be.

Hug your cats people, and always check the dryer before turning it on.

Peace.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
sorry to hear-----at least it wasn't the microwave !!!!

I'm a dog guy, I've not heard of any dogs climbing into the dryer or up under the hood of a warm car

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened but glad kitty is OK.

Don't have a lot of use for a cat any more but don't like to see them get hurt needlessly either. Hopefully cat has learned a lesson and won't take that ride again because as you said just a few more minutes could have made the difference.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
All cats LOVE warm clothes just out of the dryer. Sneaky when they jump in.

My cat lasted 14 years, he killed more mice than the female cats, must have been hundreds after the neighbors cut down two tall palm trees.

My dog is happy just putting his whole body under the bed spread. Wife can't see how he breathes, and his nose is usually right next to my butt.

I can fart and he still loves me.

There is the old saying put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for 15 minutes and see which on is happy to see you and still love you.
That's why they are MANS best friend.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
There is the old saying put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for 15 minutes and see which on is happy to see you and still love you.
oooh is that why my yelled at me so much:a21:? I thought it was and hour, not 15 minutes!!!!

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
It IS an hour most places, but in Lost Wages it has been 109 three times this week. You would get in REAL trouble if you left your dog in the trunk here.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
All cats LOVE warm clothes just out of the dryer. Sneaky when they jump in.

My cat lasted 14 years, he killed more mice than the female cats, must have been hundreds after the neighbors cut down two tall palm trees.

My dog is happy just putting his whole body under the bed spread. Wife can't see how he breathes, and his nose is usually right next to my butt.

I can fart and he still loves me.

you know the difference is between your wife hollering on the front porch and you dog barking on the back porch?
if you let the dog in, it will shut up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Actually they can live a lot longer than that in the dryer. I have a very similar story with a female cat that we have, except her ride lasted 20 minutes. It was New Years eve about 3 years ago. Same story, dryer door was open all night and the next morning. Wife went to fluff the Laundry and just closed the door not knowing the cat had made a nice bed out of our clothes. She went back inside and thought nothing of it. She then went upstairs and gathered some dirty stuff to be washed, watched some tv and made it back downstairs. As she was filling the washer with clothes, she remembered thinking " Huh, I don't remember putting shoes in the dryer..." And at that exact moment the cat had flown against the door hard enough that the dryer door flung open and out flew the cat. She did not look good by any means. I'll spare the gruesome details but she was still alive so I took her to the vet before they closed at noon that day. We got to the vet about 30 minutes after she had left the dryer, and her internal temperature was still 116F. They quickly tried to get me to take her to the pet ER, where they told me the bill for her stay would be between 3k-5k per day. I gracefully told them that I grew up on a farm, where life was cheap and pets were replaceable( I got a pretty nasty look for that one). I asked that they keep her comfortable from the pain, and they started a fluid IV to get her hydrated. She only had about 2 hours there before they closed early and kicked us out. But even after that 2 hours she was perking up much more than I thought she would. She ended up with a huge burn and scab on her stomach that we kept very clean and free from infection for about a month. All her hair fell out and regrew the next month. It then fell out and regrew about 3 more times over the next year. Shes great today, has a thyroid issue now that made her double in size, and she is severely anti-social with everyone except my kids. But she is still alive and as normal as one can be after something like that. Always check those dryers if the door is open, never know what you'll find in there!

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
Cat stories. A number of years ago, I was dating a gal in Eastern WA. She had 5 acres, half a dozen horses, and a steady flow of feral cats which kept the mice under control. And, then there was the actual family pet cat. He turned up missing one day. They looked all over for him... for nearly two weeks as I recall. Long story short... we heard cat sounds and started searching... again. The horse trailer had a tack room in front. Guess who'd wandered in there when the door was open and was still in there when it was closed up? He was in kind of rough shape when we got him out. It was summer time, and it gets HOT. He managed to pull through.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I did that to a girl friend 20 years ago. She was a bitch and so was her cat. Only a quick ride on air fluff though.

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
I did that to a girl friend 20 years ago. She was a bitch and so was her cat. Only a quick ride on air fluff though.
Kinda tough fitting her into it though, eh? :a21:

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Sounds like she was a "spinner".

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I feel really horrible. Did I mention that I feel really horrible.

I thought I'd share this so maybe others don't do the same thing.

Last night I finished drying some clothes. I apparently opened the dryer door and checked the clothes. Anyway, this morning I close the dryer door and hit the on button. I was thinking of running the thing for another ~15 minutes, to shake out the wrinkles. Breaking out the iron is always the last resort. After starting the dryer, I jump in the shower. Several minutes in I hear a strange cat like sound, but dismiss it. I hear it again only louder. With my head lathered up, it finally hits me, my cat might be in the dryer spinning around. I jump out of the shower, slam the dryer door open and start yanking clothes out and throwing them on the floor.

I then see our grey cat. He was twisted up in the laundry, trying to right himself. I pulled him out and tried to stand him up. His head was shaking and he was trying to run away but he kept veering right and he would fall over. I thought he was broken and I felt like I was going to hurl. He was in there a good 3 minutes spinning. He finally laid down. His breathing was erratic. I finished my shower and checked on him. He was still just laying there. I felt horrible. He's always been an awesome cat. He would hang out with me in the back yard, while the dogs were hanging with the wife inside. Most mornings he would either be still rolled up in a ball next to my pillow or he'd be sitting on the night stand just staring at me.

He's OK now. He won't go in the downstairs bathroom where the dryer is. I could have killed him. I don't think he would have lasted much longer. I found him in there before. He liked to climb up in there and make himself a nice comfy bed and take a nap. We always worried that he might get spun up in there. I've done it before, starting the dryer in the morning for 10 or 15 minutes, and going upstairs to get a shower. We have a house guest upstairs presently and I decided to just shower downstairs. He would have been a goner for sure. I can't imaging killing my own cat. I can't imagine the hell that would be.

Hug your cats people, and always check the dryer before turning it on.

Peace.
I had a girlfriend years ago that did that.
She heard the banging in the dryer and thought maybe she had dried some tennis shoes.
It ran the full 45 minutes.
It did not end well for the cat, her 2 kids or the dryer.
She was not the sharpest blonde woman I have ever dated.
Attractive, not smart.....

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
So is the cat all soft and fluffy like in the cartoons. No more wrinkles. Smell nice and fresh? No static cling?

Glad he survived.

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
So is the cat all soft and fluffy like in the cartoons. No more wrinkles. Smell nice and fresh? No static cling?

Glad he survived.
I'd surmise fluffy lost control of bladder/bowels and came out a mess... and the load needed redone.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
all the threads are gettin muddied round here, readin the title i thought this was gonna be a thread on so and so's 6.8 CAT gettin rung out.lol.

glad kitty is doin good, im a dog guy too.

i started feedin a stray cat once, all skin and bones, thinkin if i feed him he will stick around and keep the mice away. wrong, he was starvin for a reason, lousy hunter, he had all his claws yet too. i had more mice than ever, cats are territorial, he kept the good hunting neighbors cats and other strays away
some cats are good mousers, most are not. to tell, stop feeding them and see if they maintain their figure.
my brother only had one great hunter out of all the cats he has ever had. a huge male (same litter mates where smaller & mediocre hunters), would come home with: grouse,rabbit,flying squirrels,squirrels, chipmunks, pileated woodpeckers. he never saw a mouse the whole time that cat was around, or any small game either,lol. cat is long gone and now mice are back (and local wildlife recovered) even though he still has cats

for the record, i tried convincing him to terminate the small game killer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts