6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience with one of these? Pros/Cons? Suggestions on other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I haven‘t used the product shown, happy with the Odin Works Atlas 7.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Usually a 2 chamber brake reduces recoil more than a single chamber. There are three and four chamber brakes out there now. Remember the recoil is reduced but the noise backwards is many times louder. Except my my 2.5 pound AR15, all my other ARs use two chamber or spiral chamber brakes.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Haven't used that brake, but MI is generally decent quality stuff at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
95 Posts
And please, PLEASE, if you shoot at a range a lot dont use a brake, have some respect for the guys to your left and right. I definitely do not see any need for a brake on a 6.8 let alone a 5.56 but all the idiots at the range seem to have them on every gun they own. All of mine save for my Mk12 clone have flash suppressors because that's all that is needed on these guns. Of course this is only my opinion.
First time I shot my 6.8 I was amazed by the very mild recoil.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Not everyone is blessed to be healthy. I have injuries probably older than you are. There are days I just can't lift my right arm up at all (my shooting arm). I have to use 2 naproxym every night in order to get to sleep. There is no way I can shoot a AR308 without a great brake.I would bet some of my AR308s, under 5 pounds, shoot with LESS recoil than your 6.8. All my AR308s shoot under 1 MOA at 100 yards.

Another thing, those idiots with brakes have learned that with LESS recoil you can have greater accuracy.

Of course the flash suppressor is one of my pet peaves. Just what does it do for you? Some zombie sees you shoot your AR15 at night, they will see the flash just fine and can use it to shoot back.

I am with Harrison, most hunters soon stop using brakes, due to the noise. Heck with most deer and hogs after the first shot all other game are beeting feet to the next county, don't matter with brake or without. I can easily put up with the pain for a nice shot, just not a lot of shots.

Of couse with sounders a silencer lets you get off several shots before they scatter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They need less recoil with a 5.56? Come on now. I'm 53 by the way and many miles with a ruck on my back I have my share of injuries and pain too. What does a flash suppressor do for me? Everything I need.

·
Registered
578 Posts
As to noise and causing issues at the range are we bothering those folks who are sharing a pair of muffs between several people, shooter using foam muffs and friends sticking fingers in their ears or my favorites the ones that stick cigarette butts or pistol bullets in their ears. Go to a range and pony up for a good set of muffs. If it's still loud wear plugs under your muffs. I have some rifles such as 7mm Practical through 338 Lapua with brakes that folks better have good hearing protection if I need to verify a scope one or more of them.

That said of late my favorite brakes of late are the PRI Quiet Control brakes made in 5.56, 6.8, 308, etc. They work great for non suppressed rifles. Most of my hunting is suppressed so muzzle blast from a brake is not an issue but I have some very top grade hear through hearing muffs for the field that allow me to hear sounds around me better than with no muffs but shut down a loud rifle crack just fine. More than one time I have passed the word up and down the line telling all I am about to shoot a loud rifle and to take precautions. Fnd it humorous when 1/3 of the people dive under cover after touch off the first round as didn't heed my warning and most likely never heard a really loud rifle. If a person can afford to shoot they can afford good ear protection.

PRI Quiet Control Brakes

Precision Reflex - Search Results

·
Registered
421 Posts
Been tk the range here in Tucson when some people had brakes. One was so loud you could feel the percussion of his shot in the concrete (range is covered for the sun). Didnt bother most people. Im usually more bothered by the guys with AK's throwing brass 3 benches down than noise.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Been tk the range here in Tucson when some people had brakes. One was so loud you could feel the percussion of his shot in the concrete (range is covered for the sun). Didnt bother most people. Im usually more bothered by the guys with AK's throwing brass 3 benches down than noise.
Have a public Wildlife Management range just twenty minutes from house use due to convienence for tuning, testing accuracy and sighting in new builds. Also have vaults full of rifles that some are only removed once a year to be wiped down with an oily rag and some will realize it's been a decade since last time a round went down the bore. Many of these are custom built turn bolts in wildcat cartridges from 22 K Hornet to 300 RUM along with premium factory rifles even larger. Range has 100 yards maximum shooting but has very nice benches, roof for shade, full time range officers and facilities for its proximity to house.

Majority of shooting I do at this range is tuning a new build, shooting with one of my 6-20x, 12-36x or 45x test scopes to test inherent accuracy before swap on low power wide range scope or red dot and sight in. Have 12.5" builds that never would have known will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA and 10.5" pistol builds that are solid 1 MOA or slightly less if not nailed a huge scope on top after tuning. People will look at a 8.5"/9.5" pistol with 20x or higher power scope very odd but when see pistol builds grouping smaller than their 20" Daniel Defense or similar rifle is funny.

Soon as build is tuned, tested with three loads minimum swap it's combat optic on at range and sight them in so can call them done. Often I will pull a rifle from the vault that has not been shot in a decade to ensure scope has not shifted from handling and natural expansion/contraction of dissimilar metals moving at different rates. While 100 yards is not optimum for testing a TRG 42 in 338 Lapua or custom turn bolt in 25-06, 7mm STW, 300 RUM can pull my range card, ensure scope is holding it's horizontal point of aim and vertical grouping is close to where range card says it should be at 100 yards then back in vault after cleaned.

Have had over a dozen different times where pulled a big custom turn bolt to confirm glass with just three rounds while at the public range to notice 1/3 to 1/2 of people are gone or packing up by time have fired my third round. Anyone that can't tolerate three rounds from a big rifle at a range I am often glad to see them go as they are the AK/SKS crowd shooting carboard boxes as targets at 25 yards. These are folks that in the past would be shooting bump fire stocks from the hip, smoking cigarettes (much more annoying to me for person next to me to be smoking than brass flying by me), have no ear protection, etc. Last 22 Nosler I built got a PRI Quiet Control Brake which is not as load at the line as my Winchester M70 featherweight in 308 but it seemed to upset several groups with foam plugs or sharing a single pair of muffs.

Once I get a build tuned and brass ejecting where I want it to land (usually in first 15 to 20 rounds) I snap a brass catcher on to keep brass off my neighbor. If shooting most of my SBRs will snap a suppressor on to keep repeated muzzle blast from annoying folks. That said on occasion if needing to put just three rounds down range from a custom over bore turn bolt with big muzzle brake then people should be able to soak it up. I try to be polite at the range but some folks just don't seem to be properly equipped to function in a group shooting situation. Let them go to the firing line in a tactical carbine class at Gunsite or similar school much less a concrete kill house learning to clear rooms and see what side spit and hot brass from others on the line is really like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an older stag Model 5 6.8, I took off the A2 to change to the brake and this is what I got. Any help on what threads these are or why they are smaller?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Stag arms uses 1/2X32 thread pattern on the 6.8.

Reactions: STRT RACR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would this be alright to use to keep the current brake I have?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
For a brake it should be fine especially if it’s a 30cal brake on a 6.8 etc. If you ever want to run a suppressor you will need to check it to ensure it’s concentric

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For a brake it should be fine especially if it’s a 30cal brake on a 6.8 etc. If you ever want to run a suppressor you will need to check it to ensure it’s concentric
Not here in California. Lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts