6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I use a lot of different muzzle brakes, depends what I need them for, if hunting at night with night vision I like to have something that hides the flash, but other times I just like to cut down on recoil, or a combination of both.

An option if you want to cut almost all recoil is the Ross Schuler brake. Ross custom makes these brakes for dirt cheap. He can do almost any standard threading, he can taper them to your barrel if you want, he does .875", 1" and 1.25" brakes.

If you want to see how well they work, here is Ross shooting a .338 Edge pistol with his brake:

here is some work Ross has done for me, he doesn't do finishing, they come polished, I finished the black ones in cerakote (bake-on) :

450 Bushmaster:

.264 LBC

And this was my latest venture. Well I wanted to tame the recoil of my PTR-91 .308. The threads on the PTR and other HK G3's and clones are 15mmx1mm and also have a 'ring' around the barrel that the brake needs to slip over. Ross doesn't do metric threads, so I had him make a brake to my specs and then I did the final threading and machining myself:

here is an example of sizes, before contouring, etc.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those look nice and that is impressive to tame that beast. How are they indexed, it doesn't look like you used any crush washers.
I indexed with shims on most and used crush washers on others, they come out pretty close before shimming and you may not even need a shim in some cases. My PTR-91 I had to mill out a crush was to fit over the ring on the barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.