6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering placing a multiple gun purchase, but just read that if more than 2 handguns are purchased in a 5 day period it has to be reported to ATF. ATF 3310.4. I think there is also something for rifle. Even though I believe big brother probably knows all about most of my guns, I'd prefer to not have additional info sent to them if I can avoid it. I know the simple answer would be to buy my guns a week apart, but I have reasons for wanting to just do one big purchase.

My question boils down to this: If I buy one handgun, could I buy a couple bolt actions at the same time and not have it reported?

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
Yes. As long as you only buy one handgun you can buy as many rifles as you want. Those states that border Mexico has an exception to that. You are fine with bolt guns:
The reporting requirements mandate that all federally licensed firearms dealers and pawnbrokers in Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas submit to ATF reports of multiple sales or other dispositions of certain rifles to unlicensed individuals when two or more particular kinds of rifles are transferred at the same time, or within five consecutive business days of each other. The types of rifles that must be reported are those with the following characteristics: (1) semiautomatic; (2) a caliber greater than .22 (including .223/5.56 mm); and (3) the ability to accept detachable magazines.
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center...firearms-sales-or-other-disposition-reporting

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.