6.8 SPC Forums banner

"Multi" or 6.8 marked lowers

6K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  remat457 
#1 ·
Time to start my next build, I have an extreme barrel on the way, a LaRue Stealth upper in the safe and am trying to find some info on who all makes a "Multi" or 6.8 caliber marked lower. Sorry if this is posted somewhere, searched and couldn't find it anywhere. BTW if anyone wants to trade a Vltor MUR for my Stealth I would be happy to do so:)

List:
RRA
YHM
Spikes
Mega
Bushmaster
Aero
Anvil
Stag
LaRue Stealth

#2 ·
Bushy makes them

Spikes does as well.

#5 ·
I have a S&W lower that has no caliber markings what so ever. No .223, no multi, no nothing.
Spikes are marked Multi and I have to recommend them, I just wish I could get a local FFL to set up an account with them for a transfer!
Essential Arms has 6.8 marked lowers also

#6 ·
Not sure if by "multi" you mean 6.8 marked lowers but I have a RRA 6.8 sitting right next to me waiting for my extream upper.

#10 ·
When I talked to them last they said they were multi, but that was about 2 months ago. Maybe they sold those and have 5.56 ones now.

If I wanted to order one, I think it would probably be best to call and verify for sure. I have seen lowers advertised as "multi" but with 5.56 pics on other sites as well.

#17 ·
The carbine extension tubes and stocks used by RRA are commercial sized not the lowers. The commercial and milspec tubes all function the same, just using slightly different dimensions that affect stock choice for proper fit.

RRA lowers are the same as everyone else. You can install both commercial receiver extensions, and milspec receiver extensions on a RRA. Just to clarify in case someone without a lot of experience is reading this thread.

#39 ·
I have 2 POF's 5.56 and 6.8 SPC and am buying another (7.62) for a new build. ALL made in the good ole USA and from US manufactured materials- No China steel in these. Billet and great support from the company. Call Chris and just talk to him, you will see what I mean.
Support our Country !!!

#19 ·
Receivers made to Milspec dimensions (almost all are this way) will take both the commercial tube and the milspec tubes. The thread size is the same in both tubes.

The thickness (diameter) of the commercial tube is 1.17 inches, and the milspec is 1.1465. There can be manufacturing differences between the two as the milspec tube has been manufactured to a standard. Milspec has forged threads, cold formed or something like that. The commercial tubes are usually cut threads. Some say the milspec tubes generally are stronger due to their construction specifications. That's beyond my expertise level though.

I think the confusion comes with assembled lowers or complete rifles. Some brands like Colt, LMT, Stag and others come with milspec sized tubes. Other brands like RRA and others come with commercial tubes installed. So if you upgrade or change carbine stocks you need to know what your brand gives you, or measure to be sure.

If you're starting with a stripped lower, you can put either milspec or commercial sized tubes and stocks on the lower.

#23 · (Edited)
Receivers made to Milspec dimensions (almost all are this way) will take both the commercial tube and the milspec tubes. The thread size is the same in both tubes.

The thickness (diameter) of the commercial tube is 1.17 inches, and the milspec is 1.1465. There can be manufacturing differences between the two as the milspec tube has been manufactured to a standard. Milspec has forged threads, cold formed or something like that. The commercial tubes are usually cut threads. Some say the milspec tubes generally are stronger due to their construction specifications. That's beyond my expertise level though.

I think the confusion comes with assembled lowers or complete rifles. Some brands like Colt, LMT, Stag and others come with milspec sized tubes. Other brands like RRA and others come with commercial tubes installed. So if you upgrade or change carbine stocks you need to know what your brand gives you, or measure to be sure.

If you're starting with a stripped lower, you can put either milspec or commercial sized tubes and stocks on the lower.
Mike W -- This.

If you go back to the other thread, you were not given bad information. You were given a list of which lowers had mil-spec tubes for the stock and which has commercial. Just making sure that there is no confusion.

As to the OP -- why the Multi-marked lower? Aesthetics?

#26 ·
We have some SunDevil owners on the site. Send Broderick (formerly aka BlackLion) a message. He has a post on here somewhere about a 2nd Sun Devil build. Their receivers look pretty good.

The S&W MP15 precision rig from their Performance Center uses Sun Devil receivers made for SW. I've held one and it's a nice rifle. The receiver looks to be finished out nicely.

#24 ·
I know DPMS makes a 6.8 lower, POF makes a multi, Spikes makes a multi, and LCW has the LMT made with no caliber marks at all. These are the ones I have first hand experience with.

#27 · (Edited)
If you want a billet lower also look at Tactical Innovations, theirs are billet 7075 while the Sun Devil are 6061 not a huge issue but there is a difference to be aware of. I have a Tactical Innovations lower that I am using on my second build right now. Very nice machine work and it is marked Multi as well. Took a while to get and is more than most others but it is a great look. It will be paired with a Vltor MUR upper and SWS handguard. Im just waiting on parts like everyone else. Took two months to get the lower and three months for the upper.

Rhett in AZ

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.