6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my 6x6.8 dialed for long range and would like to know what the most consistent brass is that you can buy today? I wish lapua would just make brass for this cartridge. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I'm trying to get my 6x6.8 dialed for long range and would like to know what the most consistent brass is that you can buy today? I wish lapua would just make brass for this cartridge. Any help would be great.
S&B makes the best 6.8 brass. IMHO

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Agreed, S&B is my top choice. I've tried SSA (old and new) Hornady and still like the S&B. Primer pockets last the longest in my hot long range loads, I'm pushing the 110bthp up near 2800 and have some brass with 5 loadings and still holding primers well. The SSA was loosening up for my loads after 3.

I shoulder bump .002-.003" and run about 3thou neck tension with no crimp on straight 6.8. I really like the 6x6.8, might just build an upper one of these days.

-Alexander

·
Registered
632 Posts
Agreed, S&B is my top choice. I've tried SSA (old and new) Hornady and still like the S&B. Primer pockets last the longest in my hot long range loads, I'm pushing the 110bthp up near 2800 and have some brass with 5 loadings and still holding primers well. The SSA was loosening up for my loads after 3.

I shoulder bump .002-.003" and run about 3thou neck tension with no crimp on straight 6.8. I really like the 6x6.8, might just build an upper one of these days.

-Alexander
When you go 6X6.8, be sure to keep us posted.😊

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
6x6.8 is the cats pajamas and a great complement to the 6.8. If you are looking for any load info, send me a PM. I used Hornady brass but would use S&B if I got back into it.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok we're the best place to get s&b brass? Is it called s&b for short for sellier& bellot? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Ok we're the best place to get s&b brass? Is it called s&b for short for sellier& bellot? Any help is appreciated.
either buy once fire S&B brass, or buy loaded s&B ammo (110fmj or 110 pts) as S&B does not sell brass, just loaded ammo

you can find once fired in the EE when available, or there is always gunbroker

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Here are a few measurements I took regarding case capacities and case weight consistencies. In those two regards, current S&B produced brass is the leader. Unfortunately in your case that won't help you much unless you purchase and pull live ammo, or you find it for sale as once fired.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthre...c-measurements&p=628999&viewfull=1#post628999

Further down the thread xman makes some comments as well should be worth reading.

·
Registered
281 Posts
In everyone's experience...is S&B that much better in longevity than Federal cases? Or Hornady cases for that matter?

I'm wary of current SSA and not interested in Remingtion (unless I was Hard Up).

I anneal BTW.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
It will be a while before I shoot up a bunch of ammo. I think the Presidential polls are lies, and intentional to get the band wagon effect. Not like Reagan in 84, but Trump wins big. But I still need to wait and see what happens with panic buyers.

Then I will buy and shoot up some S&B.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
In everyone's experience...is S&B that much better in longevity than Federal cases? Or Hornady cases for that matter?

I'm wary of current SSA and not interested in Remingtion (unless I was Hard Up).

I anneal BTW.
Yes, S&B will last twice as long in the primer pocket compared to Fed, especially with warm to hot loads.

Some Hornady is S&B as they make some 6.8 brass for Hornady with the Hornady headstamp.

From Nswish thread:
Hornady (mfg by Sellier & Bellott)
".HORNADY. 6,8mm SPC" (SRP, stamp touching outer edge)
".HORNADY. 6,8mm SPC" (SRP, stamped evenly between edge and pp, crimped primers standard as of 2013, current production)

Sellier & Bellot ((Huge thank you to mark6.8 for 10 of all three S&B headstamps!))
"S&B 6,8mm REM SPC" (LRP, introduced in 2008, slowly phased out by 2012/13)
"S&B 6,8mm REM SPC" (SRP, stamped on outer edge, as early as 2011, standard by 2013, done by late 2014)
"S&B 6,8mm REM SPC" (SRP, stamped evenly between edge and PP, November 2014, current production)
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?44038-6-8-Headstamps
You want the current production version of either.

Another thing with Fed brass, Rem, some SSA is the placement of the flash holes not being centered in the primer pocket.
As will as thin necks in Rem brass and inconsistent neck thickness in some of the others.

These are the reasons I regard S&B as the best 6.8 brass.
Most concentric flash holes
Best at retaining primer pockets
Most consistent necks
Less case bulge
One of the highest capacities

I trim it to 1.682
Clean up the inside of the flash holes
I do not turn the necks although for LD you might consider it.
Use quality dies like these or better
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/248012/redding-type-s-match-bushing-2-die-set-68mm-remington-spc

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well Good news and Bad news.

Thanks for the info...I think I'll go with S&B from now on. Only, I don't have any, and I CAN'T FIND ANY !!!

As usual.

Question: are these cases primer pockets crimped?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Well Good news and Bad news.

Thanks for the info...I think I'll go with S&B from now on. Only, I don't have any, and I CAN'T FIND ANY !!!

As usual.

Question: are these cases primer pockets crimped?
You can get 1000 primed s&b on gunbroker.com for $600
So therefore if one could find new Hornady brass, you'd be in as good shape as getting S&B ammo/cases correct?
Not all hornady brass is made by s&b...refer to the brass thread above....s&b and the hornady s&b brass is the highest case capacity, yet hornady by hornady is the least case capacity...make sure you know which one you are getting.....the brand new hornady brass sold in lots of 50 by hornady is made by hornady, you'll only find the hornady by s&b in loaded ammo

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thx for the info.

I looked a little but it implies it's just brass, not ammo. It say's it's "New".

I was under the impression that you could only get S&B cases by buying their Ammo.

Hmmmm.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Thx for the info.

I looked a little but it implies it's just brass, not ammo. It say's it's "New".

I was under the impression that you could only get S&B cases by buying their Ammo.

Hmmmm.
Correct, but this is primed brass so it would be de-milled (pull down brass).... but refer to the "brass headstamp thread" as I noticed that the headstamp on this 1000 brass lot has the stamp near the outer edge so that should give you more info about its manufacture date

1 - 16 of 16 Posts