6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who have shot all factory 6.8 SSA projectiles specifically from 1:11 twist Kotonics barrels...has any round been consistently more accurate than the 110 g Sierra Pro Hunter?

Were these accurate rounds in the standard loading or combat load?

Again...no handloads or other labels. Just SSA standard projectile offerings.

As a HUNTING round and home defense round I am sold on the Pro Hunter but may consider another purchase next week if the OTM, Barnes, or 95 g. frangible rounds group consistently tighter in a 1:11 twist KoTonics barrel.

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
owenslee said:
To those who have shot all factory 6.8 SSA projectiles specifically from 1:11 twist Kotonics barrels...has any round been consistently more accurate than the 110 g Sierra Pro Hunter?

Were these accurate rounds in the standard loading or combat load?

Again...no handloads or other labels. Just SSA standard projectile offerings.

As a HUNTING round and home defense round I am sold on the Pro Hunter but may consider another purchase next week if the OTM, Barnes, or 95 g. frangible rounds group consistently tighter in a 1:11 twist KoTonics barrel.

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks.

Kerry
The problem is that every barrel likes different bullets and powder. The only way to find out is to buy a box of each and try it out. I can tell you what my barrel likes, but it will mean nothing since your barrel is different, even if it is a Ko-Tonics like mine. So if you like the Pro-Hnters, get two boxes (1 combat load and 1 commercial load).

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul,

I fully appreciate the variation possible from one weapon to another.
In this case more than one 6.8 SPC weapon is involved.

I am looking for a general trend that might provide a rough indicator of accuracy while keeping variables to a minimum.

Just subjective assesments....not quantifiable data.

Thanks.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
owenslee said:
Paul,

I fully appreciate the variation possible from one weapon to another.
In this case more than one 6.8 SPC weapon is involved.

I am looking for a general trend that might provide a rough indicator of accuracy while keeping variables to a minimum.

Just subjective assesments....not quantifiable data.

Thanks.

Kerry
Well :D , generally speaking the Pro-Hunters and Enhanced SMK bullets are actually both univeraslly accurate in most 6.8SPC AR's. Matter of fact, most Sierra bullets are some of the most accurate bullets available and generally very accurate. :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like the 115gr OTM combat load, it is accurate in all my 6.8's. I would go with that for home defense over the Pro Hunter as the OTM will penetrate a bit less, fragment more, but still penetrate 13.5 inches. I saw a gel test that had a Pro-Hunter penetrating something like 16 inches.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
rcrandall said:
I like the 115gr OTM combat load, it is accurate in all my 6.8's. I would go with that for home defense over the Pro Hunter as the OTM will penetrate a bit less, fragment more, but still penetrate 13.5 inches. I saw a gel test that had a Pro-Hunter penetrating something like 16 inches.
I agree with rcrandall. As a pure self defense round, the SSA 115 Gr. SMK is the best. The Sierra 110 Gr. Pro-Hunter is the best All-Purpose round IMHO.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys..

I have 500 rds of the Pro Hunter ordered now and will order 220 rounds of the OTM next week while on sale.

I'm curious how the new SSA plinking round will perform for accuracy.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
owenslee said:
Thanks guys..

I have 500 rds of the Pro Hunter ordered now and will order 220 rounds of the OTM next week while on sale.

I'm curios how the new SSA plinking round will perform for accuracy.

Kerry
Art said it was going to be a BTHP bullets, so it should be very accurate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
rcrandall said:
Noob here, go easy :) Sorry for the bump, but do you have a pic?

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is not other boards you can ask questions until you get the answers that you need no matter. For pictures take a look at he 6.8 Info thread that is in the top section of each forum. It has b-gel tests of the 115 SMKs. Sorry I don't know where the pic of the PH rcrandall is speaking of but have heard the exact same thing about its penetration depth. I know there is a pic of it I just not sure where it is to link to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 6.8 rifles have definite preferences.

My Stag Arms lefty AR, all stock rifle, prefers and shoots accurately the 110 gr Pro Hunters.

My converted CZ 527 lefty really likes the TSX and Triple Shock loads.

I prefer the Pro Hunter as an all around load as mentioned above.

I've had a bad experience with the TSX on deer sized game shot with my 6.8 bolt rifle so I'm working up a Pro Hunter load for my bolt rifle. Don't want a problem again in the hunting field.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If its a 1:11 SPCII a load that seems accurate in most guns is 29-29.5 H322 2.275-2.285 OAL CCI-BR4 or Wolf SRM primers SSA brass In a 16"-18" barrels 2600 - 2690 fps These usually go sub moa in most guns and in mine tuned it went .53" in my 16: havenlt shot it for groups in my 18 1:12 yet but after tunigng I bet is will be sub .5 moa

·
Registered
262 Posts
One thing that I have to wonder is this: is anyone shooting 10-rd groups instead of the tradtional 5-shot groups? Molon over at ar15.com posted a long discussion of this issue, and it made great sense to me to use 10-shot groups and the mean radius method of measuring them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Nearly all of my testing is with 10 round shot groups.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I shoot groups of 3 first to check for overpressure loads, then 10 for accuracy on the next range trip. I made the mistake of loading groups of 10 with RE15 and 77 gr SMK's using online reloading data from the other forum, numerous people had said they were loading 24.5 gr so I started at 23.5 and worked up to 24.5. I stopped at 23.7 because I started blowing primers (fed 205's in LC brass) 23.5 was my max and I had to pull the bullets in the other 80 loads with the bullet hammer. It sucks getting blown primers stuck in your rifle too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
billclo said:
One thing that I have to wonder is this: is anyone shooting 10-rd groups instead of the tradtional 5-shot groups? Molon over at ar15.com posted a long discussion of this issue, and it made great sense to me to use 10-shot groups and the mean radius method of measuring them.

Ten round groups is the Military way of checking accurracy

Art - SSA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts