6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In both of my 6.8's this load is a winner, 28.2gr of Hodgdon Benchmark in either SSA,S&B or Hornady brass with a CCI41 and those 130gr Fusions and are quite comfortable at the 300yd mark. Of course theyre good inside that as well and Im mostly shooting at 200yds these days with the 6 8's. I chronoed this load awhile back and was getting 2340-2350fps but that was in June. Not sure of the temp stability of Benchmark but I think its one of the Ext powders with good stability, no?
Its quite accurate at the 200yd line and Im easily ringing the 10"gong at 300.
Dont know what else to do with all of these 130's so Ill just shoot them.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, sorry for that. My OAL is 2.320 and yes I am using a PRI modified mag. I believe I checked once with the Hornady comparator and I can go a bit longer. That goes for the magwell too. If my memory didnt forget to remember correctly.
I check with every new bullet style I use in all of my calibers, both of them.

· Registered
696 Posts
I don't have data with me, but if memory serves correct, I was getting a touch over 2700 fps wiht the 130 Fusions in my 270AR. Windowed mags and I believe Benchmark was the powder used. with tired old eyes and an ATN scope, easily under 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yds.

I used them for hunting. Devastating wound channels in hogs.

· Registered
382 Posts
I'd like to preface with saying my 6.8 is a Ruger #2 Single Shot, so I don't have any OAL/magazine restrictions when seating bullets long. My barrel has a 1-10" twist & is 22" long. I've been shooting 130 gr Fusions seated with the base about even with the shoulder/neck juncture. This is my 5th season with the rifle & I've shot a dozen or so deer, hogs & axis. I'm getting a chrono'd speed right at 2,640 fps using AR-Comp, S&B brass & CCI 450's. Some powder compression. I haven't been able to recover a 130 gr fusion bullet yet, but the destruction seems to indicate good bullet performance. My longest & heaviest big game shot was 180 yds on a 180 lb axis. He ran approximately 30 yds & collapsed. Bullet hit right behind the shoulder & traveled straight through. I've always been a big fan of the .270 Win except for the meat destruction on the closer shots. This is what got me interested in the 6.8. I also like the 115gr GD's but they do seem to do more damage. I haven't recovered one of those bullets yet either.

I get some funny looks in deer camp carrying my short, compact single shot rifle along with questions like "What are you hunting with there?". Then I hand them a bullet & the next question is "What is that?" LOL

· Registered
423 Posts
My experience is meat destruction is dependent on velocity. Velocity effects hydrostatic shock. The 115 hits faster and harder, for it's size than the 130. The 115s, I assume, are hitting at a higher velocity for the distance travelled, than the 130s.
I would suggest trying the CBB 120s and see how you like them and how they effect meat destruction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts