6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

It is/was not uncommon to carry mixed mags (alternating M193 and M855) in the sandbox.

How about mixed mags for the 6.8 in the defense role in a rural area?

Have accurate loads for the 110 gr Nosler AB and for the 115 gr Nosler CC that happen to have almost coincident impact points. These be a decent combination for mixed mags?

Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Interested to see where this goes.

I won't pretend to know why or what they run in the sand box.

I get mixed for scrap ammo, but it's not something I would intentionally try for. Why would you want to run a mixed mag over here?

For defense purposes I think I'd load up with the AB and just run with that.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Not sure what the advantage of running these two bullets are. You are not going to be able to keep track of which on is in the chamber. I initially thought just go with the ABs but if you are in a defensive situation, you most likely want to limit over-penetration. The 110 AB has deep penetration and would exit in most all situations. The 115 CC will yaw and impact and fragment and doesn't have the penetration of the 110 AB.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Guys,

It is/was not uncommon to carry mixed mags (alternating M193 and M855) in the sandbox.

How about mixed mags for the 6.8 in the defense role in a rural area?

Have accurate loads for the 110 gr Nosler AB and for the 115 gr Nosler CC that happen to have almost coincident impact points. These be a decent combination for mixed mags?

Thanks!
?? The only mix I have ever seen in the army was SS109 with a tracer every third round then 3 tracers at the bottom of the mag

·
10,536 Posts
?? The only mix I have ever seen in the army was SS109 with a tracer every third round then 3 tracers at the bottom of the mag
MarCorps too. I also had a mag of all tracers for marking a target.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Same when I was a gunner our "warning shot" Mag was all tracers do to them being considered pyrotechnics. :) the SQD leaders also had a mag of all tracers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yeah. Once the NODS and peq-2 were general issue I think our unit stopped doing that.

This we would still do as a back up.

I just think about Murphy and his laws of combat
"tracers work both ways"

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I've never heard of or seen that before. Mixed tracers, yes, but not mixed 193 and 855. I think I had a few magazines with 855 and 855A1 the last time in Afghanistan but that's just what was available and not on purpose.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I've never seen mixed mags in the mil either. Just tracers as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've only heard of alternating ammo in a shotgun (besides tracer, obviously). I have heard of SWAT guys keeping a separate magazine full of barrier penetrating rounds.

I just think about Murphy and his laws of combat
"tracers work both ways"
but then there is this... "When everybody is shooting, shoot in the same direction"

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have seen mixed mags but never as a SOP. It was a mix of of M855, M995 and tracers. Now a course I was in a M.I unit that did their own thing.
Sounds like something some mall Ninja computer geek came up with after looking at some YouToob vids about how cool M855 is ....is lol.... Just saying...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not mall geek ... just NSW guys reported to me by one I trust implicitly ... 8 rows of ribbons including two bronze stars ... JSOC ... and a blood relative.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Not mall geek ... just NSW guys reported to me by one I trust implicitly ... 8 rows of ribbons including two bronze stars ... JSOC ... and a blood relative.
Don't get your panties in a bind. No need to get testy. And now that you need to ass oh a relative with XYZ Ribbons and works for XYZ sounds even more like BS.

Been in the army a long time work with a lot of top tear people you know what they said last night when I asked them about mixing 55gr ball and 62gr penetrator ammo ???? " only a retard would do that" the point of aim isn't the same and there is no advantage.....

Not to mention NSW as you refereed to them as don't know if you are referring to navy EOD,SEALS, ABU 1/2 or SWSBT..... Don't even run either ammo it would be SS109 (the M995 is a civilian designation) they have been running M262 ammo from the USMC for some time now...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
And it was never common in the sand box to do so.. All the people in the military including the ones I deployed with gut a good laugh out of it when I posted the question on face book asking if any of them had ever heard of such a thing....
Most of the replays were inappropriate to repost

·
Registered
237 Posts
Probably a miscommunication somewhere along the way of the story being related. I don't know for certain what NSW does with their ammo, but I bet they do it wearing oakleys and a beard. Something about terminal ballistics.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Tortoise,

Almost choked on my dinner ... you're EXACTLY right! Quite the sight actually ... beard. Oakleys, and velcro'd up in a loaded Mar Ciras. Cracked me up big time ... good on ya ;-)

Mike

·
Registered
691 Posts
mixed mag,

i agree with the other guys,,in the mil you get what's available. as long as it will go 'bang' they'll issue it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts