6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forums been a home to me for years so I figured I’d share some photos of what I’ve been up to lately. This has always been my goal. It took me several years apprenticing under a master 1911 smith and going to machining school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started with a springfield mil-spec 1911. Cut the mil spec tangs off.

Once the length is right and the Beavertail is fit seamlessly

It was time to start blending it all together.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Nice work. Great start to what I am sure will eventually be a work of art. I have a "thing" for 1911s. Wish I had a dozen.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part of a reliability package, cutting a factory ramp that was to short to the proper length and angle.

It gets cut on the mill

Then polished

Barrel gets reamed, throated and polished ensuring there is still enough case support and there is the proper orientation to the frame ramp.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deluxe magwell blend for the customer.

When I do a deluxe I first ensure there is no gap between the magwel and the frame by bending the fangs as necessary to get it as close to the frame as possible. Then I plug the holes in the MSH with plugs silver soldered in. Then re drill the holes on the mill so the fit is as tight as possible.

Lastly I blend the magwell to the frame first on the mill.

First cycle of cuts with one angle.

Then another set of cuts with a different angle.

Then all the hand blending begins.

More hand blending.

Finished product.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You remind me of my old smith from Memphis who did a lot of work for me in the 80's & 90"s. Looks very nice & is very functional as well. Having got out of the
custom 1911/2011 game I must say I've never seen a barrel ramp reworked like you did. Try to keep good support while still feeding everything is interesting.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Working a reliability package. This is a small portion but an important portion that can easily be screwed up.

The ramp was too short so I machined it longer.

After that I reamed the barrel chamber then throated it. I had to ensure the case kept proper support and that the throat maintained proper orientation to the ramp.

Then polish them both.

·
10,536 Posts
Pretty! .

·
Registered
498 Posts
Beautiful Work !

I just love the knowledge and skill needed to do this kind of work.
It is beautiful and, this may sound corny, but makes me glad to
be an American. There is always a place for skilled craftsmen.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
High cut trigger guard

As typical with a lot of my work, first step us to start with a machining process.

Then to start hand blending.

Blend and deal with any machining marks until done.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Working a reliability package. This is a small portion but an important portion that can easily be screwed up.

The ramp was too short so I machined it longer.
This description could describe many ARs I think. Or so it seems with M4 feed ramps. I don't understand why it seems like it is so hard to get something right while at the factory. I like that gray finish on some of them. To me, form follows function, but it looks good.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts