6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one heard of any manufacturer producing other than a 5 rounder, and are extra 5 rounders available?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been looking for other magazines for my 6.8 mini-14 ever since I bought the rifle. I called promag a few weeks
ago and I was told they did not make magazines for the 6.8 model of the mini-14. I have has some small success in
converting a few mini-30 magazines to function in my mini-14. I have a steel 10 rounder and a small curved magazine
that holds about 12 rounds. I also have some additional 5 round magazines I ordered from Ruger.

Jeff M

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was informed by a gun shop employee (I know I know...probably a tip off that it's bad info) that the mini-30 mags were a direct substitute...I find that hard to believe...anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also hered you can use a mini 30 mag but dont know for sure. I did contact pro-mag and they said over the phone that they will have 10 and 20 round out this month in April. Hopefully they will.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have converted a couple Pro Mag Mini 30 - 10 rounders to 6.8.

As stock, they will only feed 6-7 rounds.

You have to clip a couple lengths of coil spring and work over the follower a bit to more closely match the shape of the Ruger 6.8 follower.

You are probably better off just waiting a few weeks for the new Pro Mag 6.8 Ruger mags.

·
Registered
35 Posts
chefoggy said:
Has any one heard of any manufacturer producing other than a 5 rounder, and are extra 5 rounders available?
Five round magazines are available from Ruger, but you have to order them over the phone. They are not on the website, and the part number in the catalog is incorrect.

Ten and twenty round magazines have been added to the ProMag website just this week. I have heard of a few people ordering them, but I have not heard any reports yet of how reliable they are.

Keep your fingers crossed! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Promag

Received a call on Friday 5/8/09. Had ordered 5 Mini-14 6.8 20 round mags. Was told by owner they were being milled and would ship 1st week in May. Do not know where Outdoor Sportsman is getting theirs unless this is a backorder. They are definely cheaper from Outdoor Sportsman. But I am still glad I ordered from Promag direct. Hopefully will receive them quicker.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Received a call on Friday 5/8/09. Had ordered 5 Mini-14 6.8 20 round mags. Was told by owner they were being milled and would ship 1st week in May.
Uh, last week was the first week in May. :confused: Or did he mean they'd ship the 1st week in May 2010? ;) :D

Also puzzling: A month ago harles reported that 10- and 20-rd mags were added to the ProMag website. I checked, then and now, but found no listing for 6.8 Mini-14 mags. :confused:

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Pro Mag pseudo-confirmed 6.8 mags. They were on the website, and then disappeared with no further information.

Recent posts about members converting existing Ruger mags to 6.8 have not been too successful. So I'm very interested to see what you guys receive from ProMag and Outdoor Sportsman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use the Ruger Mini 14 20 round mags in my Mini 6.8 and they function perfectly without any modification. I can fit about 12 rounds in a mag but it is tight. 10 rounds seems to fit better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On Saturday June 13 I took my Mini6.8 (stainless/synthetic) out for a little bit of shooting. I had purchased a couple black/polished-steel 10-round Ruger factory Mini-30 mags from another guy over at CalGuns.net. Visual inspection on the M30 mags compared to the M68 mags the size, followers, thickness all seemed pretty dead-nuts the same. A test fit also went well - the M30 mags clipped into the M68 magwell just fine. The M30 mags are not dropping out as freely as the 5-round M68 mags though - but that does not concern me they do pull out easily enough and the magazine release is right there at the back of the mag so pull release with my thumb and pull the M30 mag out, no problemo.

My first firing test of the M30 mag I placed 4 cartridges into it. Flawless - not a single issue. Second test was 7-rounds. Again flawless. Third and fourth test were both a full 10-rounds and both had same issue. First three rounds would fire and eject but the next round would fail to load fully. I had to push the slide handle in order to fully load the round into the chamber.

One other item, I installed a washer/buffer behind the recoil spring as is commonly done. I don't think that would affect only rounds 1-3 of 10 but I mention it just to be clear. And I was shooting Hornady 110Gr VMax rounds.

Conclusion: I am pretty happy using the M30 mags in my M68. A little more testing to see if I continue to have issues.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Thanks for the feedback DeanW.

I still hope the dedicated 6.8 ProMags turn out to be good options for us. I can't see Ruger making some themselves until they start selling a ton of Mini 6.8's. With many LE agencies using Mini-14's, you would think Ruger would offer a 6.8 version and the 20 round mags to go with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the feedback DeanW.

I still hope the dedicated 6.8 ProMags turn out to be good options for us. I can't see Ruger making some themselves until they start selling a ton of Mini 6.8's. With many LE agencies using Mini-14's, you would think Ruger would offer a 6.8 version and the 20 round mags to go with it.
I don't think Ruger will sell many 6.8 rifles unless a 20 round mag becomes available.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I don't think Ruger will sell many 6.8 rifles unless a 20 round mag becomes available.
I agree. I sold a Mini 14 recently because I had a great offer on it during the "rush". I wouldn't mind a newer one especially since their built better now. If they had SPC II chambers and 20 round magazines for the 6.8 model, I would definitely buy one. I just don't need a 5-round Ruger Mini 6.8 when I have the AR platform with so many more magazine choices plus better barrel specs available for the AR 6.8s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On another forum it has been pointed out to me that the magazines I mentioned are most likely NOT from Ruger. They were sold to me described as Ruger but I'm not so sure anymore. I am more leaning towards the Nickel ProMag. But, they still worked as I described.

FWIW.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
My 5 Pro Mag Mini 6.8 SPC 20 round steel magazines arrived today. I will have to try them out. They do seem very long though and look like a large version of a 15 round M1 Carbine mag.

At least I have some 20 rounders for my 6.8 Mini now!
Keep us informed on how they function. We have several 6.8 Mini owners who are waiting to hear how these mags work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ProMag 20 Rounders

I also have received my 5 new mags and have put 40 rounds each through them. No problems so far. Hope they keep working. Will keep you posted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts