6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any military college or academy people in here?
The reason for my asking is: my daughter is on the national wait list for West Point. There is already a student that was recruited for athletics that has accepted an appointment. They normally don't take more than one from the same district.
So here chances of getting in this year are slim. She is planning on attending The Citadel if she doesn't receive an appointment and reapplying when it opens again. Just looking for any advice for her.

Tia

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was on the NY waitlist for class of 1999 for West Point. I called admissions weekly (sometimes daily) and befriended a few of the people there and won them over on the alternate list. Don’t give up!!! Stand out, be persistent, show them you want that last seat!

I graduated middle of the class and served 8 years active from 1999-2007. Best experiences of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Good advice, Hurricane. Don't give up. I never heard of only 1 per district but that was 50 years ago when I was selected. My son went ROTC which was a very good experience for him. Explore all options.

It used to be if you joined a high school cadet program then got accepted, your time at the academy counted towards pay and retirement, eg. You graduated as an O-1 with 4 years while everyone else was an O-1 with 0 years. I don't know if that option is still available.

All the best. Hope she gets to serve.

Reactions: Guts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice, Hurricane. Don't give up. I never heard of only 1 per district but that was 50 years ago when I was selected. My son went ROTC which was a very good experience for him. Explore all options.

It used to be if you joined a high school cadet program then got accepted, your time at the academy counted towards pay and retirement, eg. You graduated as an O-1 with 4 years while everyone else was an O-1 with 0 years. I don't know if that option is still available.

she is determined and she wants to serve. i think that's the main reason citadel is an option, it seems like the closest to west point. i showed her hurricane's post and she said she will be on the phone tomorrow mourning.
thanks for the input fellas. fingers crossed and praying

·
Registered
498 Posts

I knew there was a reason I liked you Xman.

When I applied there were basically three rounds: Early, Main Body, and then 100 seats or so for the Alternates (basically 2 per state). Highly competitive at that point and it weeds out people who aren’t serious about the commitment.
I don’t believe the high school time counts towards service anymore but the “Prep School” does. Citadel isn’t a bad choice but their slots post-graduation for active duty are limited. The service academies and ROTC programs get priority fill since they are federally funded vs. Citadel which is a state school. I believe.
Served with a ton of ROTC officers who I admire and were the best of the best. Not a bad option if the academy doesn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
I went the ROTC route and had a decent career. I was not selected directly out of college for an RA commission and had to go the route of requesting “active duty reserve”. I showed them though, I stuck around long enough to make O4 then they had to convert my commission to RA. I would say one thing though. The prime assignments go to Academy grads and RA officers first and the reserves get the leftovers. This can sometimes leave you scrambling to get the right tickets punched for promotions.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
her plans atm are to attend citadel success institute starting mid july. basically a jump start into the cadet life there
to reapply to west point when admissions open up for the following year
she will be joining the rotc program at citadel also. her field force officer advised her that it would essentially get her "bonus points" on her reapplication. we also found out that about 30% of each year is made up of reapplicants

she definitely wants to be active duty

this complete process has been a whirl wind. normally you have your junior year to go thru this process, one week before school started this year her schedule was messed up. short version, she goes in to get it fixed and comes out a senior and tells us she will be graduating this year. she has handled the situation way better than i have lol

thanks for the input guys. i appreciate it .

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
an update to av 's future- she had a very successful interview with the head of the honors department. she will be one of twenty five coming this fall. going to be an interesting year and lots of traveling for us.

·
Registered
407 Posts
an update to av 's future- she had a very successful interview with the head of the honors department. she will be one of twenty five coming this fall. going to be an interesting year and lots of traveling for us.

Good for her, I had a first cousin that went to West Point. He had the honor of leading his Grandfather's Honor Guard.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
How exciting for her!! Many challenges ahead that will shape her future. Congrats!

·
Registered
173 Posts
ROTC grad here and finished with 34 years. Has she visited the Citadel - they used to offer an opportunity to see the facilities and "experience" the cadet life. There are other colleges that are premier ROTC programs not necessarily "military colleges".

·
Super Moderator
22,208 Posts
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ROTC grad here and finished with 34 years. Has she visited the Citadel - they used to offer an opportunity to see the facilities and "experience" the cadet life. There are other colleges that are premier ROTC programs not necessarily "military colleges".
She hasn’t visited. She will be attending their CSI summer program. 3 1/2 weeks in July
She’s either going to love it or not go back. Lol
She already has had a great experience with the honors program. They’ve had some zoom meetings. The alumni association is fantastic too. She’s looking forward to moving on.
thanks to everyone for the positive feedback

1 - 15 of 15 Posts