6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot this guy on the 21st. Just got back from camp today or I would have posted earlier. 9 point, 14 3/4" inside, 160 pounds dressed.

I shot him in the heart at 42 yards with a 110gr V-Max at about 2650fps, I know its not a deer bullet. At the shot he kicked his back legs straight out, turned 90 degrees and took off on a death run, when I got him back in the scope I was about ready to give him another when he tipped over in full stride, he went about 60 yards.

When I gutted him out I pulled his heart out in 3 peices, his lungs were jelly, and the bullet exited. I will take some pics when I get him skinned out.

For not being a deer bullet it worked pretty good for me.

On a side note, I caught some crap about my rifle at camp, I am the youngest at camp being 22, the next youngest is in his late 30's. All the guys were saying how its not a hunting rifle like there bolt action 30-06's, 300 win mag, and lever action 30-30s, the bullet was to small, except for my dad who just smiled because he knows my rifle and what it is capable of. I quickely reminded them that my buck was on the pole and it only took one shot, that shut them up right away because on opening day 4 bucks were shot at, 1 dropped (30-06 at about 45 yards), 1 was hit low almost to low ( a 25 yard shot with a 30-06) wasnt recovered until the next morning, 1 was missed all together (30-30 about 125 yards), and 1 was wounded and never found ( 30-30 50 yards).

My rifle is one I built from parts. M1S barrel, CMT upper, Stag Lower, Jewel Trigger, C-Products 5-round Mag, M1S 1 piece scope mount. Ammo was handloaded in Remington cases with Winchester primers, 28.2grs of H332, and a 110gr V-Max.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always kinda wondered if the V-Max would actually perform like a varmint bullet at 6.8mm velocities. It was designed for a .270, so slowing it down seems to make it act like a conventional bullet. Maybe. Or, I could be completely wrong. But your deer seems to show otherwise.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Congrats that is a nice looking deer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sounds like some of those guys need to go back to the range and re-sight their toys instead of giving you smack. Nice kill.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deep Blue said:
I've always kinda wondered if the V-Max would actually perform like a varmint bullet at 6.8mm velocities. It was designed for a .270, so slowing it down seems to make it act like a conventional bullet. Maybe. Or, I could be completely wrong. But your deer seems to show otherwise.

I just read an article about the 300 whisper stating that exact thing. The author made it perfectly clear that when a varmint bullet is not pushed to its intended speed like the 110gr V-Max and 125gr Nosler, in the 30 caliber flavor, it becomes an excellent medium sized game bullet. I was interested in how the bullet would preform, but never worried about its actually performance when it came down it to, I have seen plenty of deer hit with a 223 and a "varmint bullet" to know there was nothing to worry about.

Did I mention this is my first buck with a rifle? I have one other deer kill with a rifle and I was 16 or so, it was a doe at 279 yards with a 25-06. The other 13 or so whitetails I have killed have been with either a muzzleloader or a bow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our camp is in the west end of the U.P. in Ontonagon county.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice job! I also got a 9 pointer in east central MN, rack about the same size, with my new Ruger 6.8 spc Ranch Rifle at about 30 yds. I don't handload, used Rem. 115 gr. Ultrabond Core-Lokt's. If I had enough computer smarts I'd add a photo.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Excellent shooting! Very nice deer too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts