6.8 SPC Forums banner
121 - 140 of 191 Posts

·
Administrator
22,751 Posts
Well you asked, and so I will go ahead and tell you what we have planned and how we feel about it. First the 6.8 SPC round is one that we feel real strong about not only because it was developed by a person in the military, but because it just makes sense. It does great for a lot of things including people killing, hunting, target shooting and just general shooting stuff. Things like the SAAMI spec, weapon variability and one of the most important is being able to use those magpul mags. They are perfect, lightweight, tacticool, etc. I'm not hating on any other brands, but I wasn't willing beyond the ruger mini 6.8 to buy a rifle that couldn't use the magpul mags, i imagine others are the same. With all that being said, what are "we" my company doing about it?

The very first thing is we have been designing a new rifle that utilizes a lot of great technology of the past and future. With that we aren't not willing to share a picture yet, but I will describe the rifle. The V-SH68 will be a gas piston driven, 6.8x43MM weapon system that will incorporate a sheet metal receiver, quick change barrel system, adjustable gas system, user customizable stock and pistol grip system. The magazine adapter will use the magpul mags, but we are working on the other one that will allow use of all other magazines. Along with this we will be releasing stripper clips like we hinted out in the other thread along with some more goodies. There will also be a belt fed machine gun variant too, but we suspect it will just be eye candy at this time. The other caliber choice will be 5.56, but no others are planned or are likely to be incorporated. I have no idea on the time of release, I am waiting on a few other inputs from some important voices in the field and then I will have a good idea of the date of when we will be able to release this thing.
If you offer a metal mag to the dimensions of the PMAG in 6.8, you'd have reloaders looking for Six8 sized upper/lower sets (in droves).

·
Registered
10 Posts
All the 68 needs is a modern day Jack OConnor to drag it around the world, shooting everything in sight to show its versatility, document with gobs of photos and publish an article every month. And it wouldnt hurt to have the little woman knocking off a wildebeest with it either. Worked for the 270 and back then the naysayers were making the same complaints. Ive got the stories but neither the discipline nor the ability to write like Jack.

·
Registered
661 Posts
All the 68 needs is a modern day Jack OConnor to drag it around the world, shooting everything in sight to show its versatility, document with gobs of photos and publish an article every month. And it wouldnt hurt to have the little woman knocking off a wildebeest with it either. Worked for the 270 and back then the naysayers were making the same complaints. Ive got the stories but neither the discipline nor the ability to write like Jack.
This!

Add in a dose of lower priced fun to shoot ammo and there would be a couple 6.8SPCII AR's hanging on the wall in most gun stores.

Publicity, Publicity, Publicity.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I laugh at all of the “lower priced ammo” comments. Do you want someone to give you ammo? Damn learn to reload. People have money for the things they want.
Agreed. Every gun store already has an AR hanging on the wall in 450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend and whatever else. It's not the cost of ammo that is the issue.

Honestly, what new cartridge has come out in the last two decades that's already had an ocean of cheap plinking ammo behind it? Best case has been some moderately priced FMJ. Usually it's the opposite, the new caliber has some ultra specific appeal that people are expected to pay a premium for.

Do we have cheap plinking ammo for 6.8 Western? 350 Legend? The Noslers? All the 6mm entrants? The PRCs? But they can't chamber for these cartridges fast enough.

Give 6.8 SPC II a new name and a new set of numbers that are all 100 to 150 fps faster and you'll have a top seller for decades to come. Just imagine how the Grendel crowd will squirm when they can't find old data to cherry pick.

-Stooxie

·
Registered
616 Posts
How is this Anti-American propaganda? Several years ago the Axis was written up in a national magazine, and the country of manufacture was in the article. Savage has the Axis models made overseas, I think in Turkey, but I'm not sure of that.
I must have missed that “national magazine” article… I’ve heard the foreign made rumor and asked Savage where it was made when they were building a custom rifle for me and was told it was American made. Maybe they lied?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I laugh at all of the “lower priced ammo” comments. Do you want someone to give you ammo? Damn learn to reload. People have money for the things they want.
Reloading ain't cheep, supplies aren’t always easy to find and it’s time consuming. Just like all my other addictions…

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I must have missed that “national magazine” article… I’ve heard the foreign made rumor and asked Savage where it was made when they were building a custom rifle for me and was told it was American made. Maybe they lied?
Savage are made in the US or Canada for some of their rimfire. If someone has evidence they are made in Turkey or anywhere else please feel free to post it.

Reactions: Guts

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Reloading ain't cheep, supplies aren’t always easy to find and it’s time consuming. Just like all my other addictions…
Exactly, that's for me. I only go thru 2 boxes of 20 to plink/zero-in every fall before only needing 1 full clip for the season.
Actually that really means I don't need CHEAP ammo :unsure: ;):giggle:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Exactly how is paying today's high prices for primers and brass not to mention powder when you can find it going to counter the high price of ammo ? Some people have to make a choice between gas to go to work and shooting . I know I've heard all the arguments like " If you can't afford to play don't get in the game " . The future of shooting and hunting is going to depend on the young people who don't have extra funds .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I started reloading in 1972 and I am one that said cheap ammo would be a boon. Not that I may buy a lot of it, but, when I reload, I load good stuff for the most part. I have a bunch of 90 gr TNTs for plinking and I shoot quite a few of the the Federals from the day when they were cheap. We see a lot of people that would like to shoot a lot but it's not 6.8 they are going to shoot for the fun of it. I do.

I live on a ranch, and I often go thru a bunch at one time because I can. I laughed at the learn to reload comments. One thing that comes up for years is the price of shooting when it comes to ammo for the 6.8. Cheap reloading, my ass LOL I will never be able to live long enuf to pay for the equipment and supplies. I would be far ahead if I just bought it off the shelf but there is not much fun in that. Maybe I should take up knitting. I hear that used to be cheap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think what others have said would be the best thing for the 6.8 getting cheap available ammo is right. We need Lake City pumping out ammo.

For you guys who’s loaded 130ish grain bullets. What are your thoughts on the new DOD 6.8 bullet being loaded to 6.8spc?

Assuming the new NGSW actually takes off, I can’t be the only one thinking there’s still going to be a need for a smaller more intermediate class round/carbine combo. A possibility of rebarreling existing M4s to transition into a PDW role might have some merit.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I keep reading this trying to figure out the relevance to the conversation. I’ll admit im stumped, well done 👍
It was just a cul de sac off of the main road in this conversation.

BUTT!!! I know I didn't go into a comic strip style interjection, while long, for your comprehension...
Two pictures were included and I will point out the sentence that gives congruence towards the two quotes that I responded to:
Somewhere between 1976 - 1986, I resembled those remarks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What got me into 6.8? Monty Leclair and this forum. I was going to have Centurion build me a Grendel. Monty suggested I look at the 6.8. In doing so I found this forum and started reading. The biggest factor for me was the selection of hunting bullets. When I looked at the numbers I quickly realized that for my purpose the 6.8 was the better option. I wanted one rifle for deer and coyote. I reload so the bullet selection and weights, combined with staying with a 16” barrel made my decision for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many of us old time adopters may be looking for different things than a new guy. What would make a new guy consider the 6.8? IMO guns and ammo on the shelves, ads in the magazines. Proof the 6.8 does the job, like a poster above, Jack to show them how it's done.

That’s where the fast twist barrel and long range relevance comes in. As I said everyone nowadays is a sniper shooting 2/3 of a mile. I don’t give a darn about long range loads although I do have some 135s I’m playing with. When I wrote my response I was specifically speaking to getting new blood in the 6.8 game. That’s what it’s gonna take is rebrand/reboot it as some sort of long range wonder wizard cartridge just shy of the 6.8 Western which is kissin cousin to the 277 Fury.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was just a cul de sac off of the main road in this conversation.

BUTT!!! I know I didn't go into a comic strip style interjection, while long, for your comprehension...
Two pictures were included and I will point out the sentence that gives congruence towards the two quotes that I responded to:
Somewhere between 1976 - 1986, I resembled those remarks.
Yeah, I got all that, just not sure the relevance of a real sniper to the wanna be boys that LARP around the range with their Grendel or Creed talking about their long range prowess while never touching a trigger when anyone is watching.

·
Registered
661 Posts
For the most part, all these comments are a wish list. The 6.8 will not gain popularity if reloading is a prerequisite. I would venture to say that a large portion of the members on the site do reload. As for me, I started reloading before JFK was inaugurated.

It will be more than a little difficult to lure people away from lower cost 5.56 shooting to more expensive shooting of any caliber unless they have a reason to shoot the more expensive ammo. On trips to the range I often see people shooting 50, 60, even 100 rounds of surplus or foreign 5.56 ammo through an AR. Those folk do not reload. Those folk are not concerned with groupings less than 1 MOA. Often they are propping the rifle up on a 30 round mag and shooting a full size silhouette target at 100 yds. 5.56 is popular for them because it is fun and relatively cheap to shoot.

If 6.8 was adopted by a larger country military where over runs and surplus 'fun' ammo was available at a cost approaching 5.56 ammo, there would be an increase in interest in the caliber. Perhaps not as the first purchase of an AR, but as a second. There is a significant difference in the prices between an entry level AR in 5.56 and an entry level AR in 6.8. For a first and possibly only time AR buyer, the difference in the cost of the firearm and the higher cost of factory 6.8 ammo will almost always tip the scale towards 5.56.

6.8 is a niche caliber ideal for North American size animals. Without someone with a media presence popularizing it for that purpose, it will be difficult for 6.8 to encroach on 5.56 AR sales.

I don't see 6.8 bolt guns having a great effect of the popularity of the cartridge.

121 - 140 of 191 Posts