6.8 SPC Forums banner
81 - 100 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
A Ruger American bolt gun in 6.8 would be great .
Ruger Mini 6.8
Mossberg mvp in 6.8
Henry long ranger express
Henry single shot
Any of the better made under a thousand dollar bolt guns. The 6.8 has a lot of merit , and like me , theres people who just dont like AR's .

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The best thing that could happen to promote the use of this cartridge would be its adoption by a major LEO or military establishment. As we know, an agency like the Border Patrol could convert its existing AR-15 rifles to 6.9 SPC at minimum expense, with the benefit of increased stopping power. Of course, CBP personnel are temporarily assigned to "welcoming committee" duties right now, but with luck that will change in 2025. - CW

·
Registered
23 Posts
A Ruger American bolt gun in 6.8 would be great .
Ruger Mini 6.8
Mossberg mvp in 6.8
Henry long ranger express
Henry single shot
Any of the better made under a thousand dollar bolt guns. The 6.8 has a lot of merit , and like me , theres people who just dont like AR's .
The problem with your idea is that there aren’t enough people interested in buying the rifle from one manufacturing run. The Ruger Mini was chambered in 6.8 and no one bought it. The M77 was chambered and no one bought that. Thompson Center made Contender and Encore barrels but they didn’t sell either. Remington made bolt guns and they didn’t sell. I wrote to Mossberg when they introduced the MVP that took AR mags, I bet I’m the only one that did.
Have any of you that want new rifles for the round reached out to manufacturers?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The problem with your idea is that there aren’t enough people interested in buying the rifle from one manufacturing run. The Ruger Mini was chambered in 6.8 and no one bought it. The M77 was chambered and no one bought that. Thompson Center made Contender and Encore barrels but they didn’t sell either. Remington made bolt guns and they didn’t sell. I wrote to Mossberg when they introduced the MVP that took AR mags, I bet I’m the only one that did.
Have any of you that want new rifles for the round reached out to manufacturers?
Just because something didn't sell once doesn't mean it wouldn't sell again. Market timing is everything. There's WAY more noise about 6.8 caliber cartridges now then there was back then.

To that end, maybe simply renaming the 6.8 SPC II would be a good idea, or create a new chambering that is completely compatible with SPC II but called something else. Actually, I guess H already has-- the 6.8 ARP. Either way, I think the gun manufacturers are still soiling themselves over the SPC I vs SPC II chamber issues and liability, no matter how ridiculous that might be.

Perhaps if they could call it something totally new they could eliminate that confusion. Call it 6.8 Epiphany. That would raise some eyebrows. Load 'em hot and watch the media swoon.

-Stooxie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Air gun Sleeve Revolver Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just because something didn't sell once doesn't mean it wouldn't sell again. Market timing is everything. There's WAY more noise about 6.8 caliber cartridges now then there was back then.

To that end, maybe simply renaming the 6.8 SPC II would be a good idea, or create a new chambering that is completely compatible with SPC II but called something else. Actually, I guess H already has-- the 6.8 ARP. Either way, I think the gun manufacturers are still soiling themselves over the SPC I vs SPC II chamber issues and liability, no matter how ridiculous that might be.

Perhaps if they could call it something totally new they could eliminate that confusion. Call it 6.8 Epiphany. That would raise some eyebrows. Load 'em hot and watch the media swoon.

-Stooxie
If you read my first post you would see that I suggested a rename/reboot like Remington has done in the past. Hell even the 250 Savage went through a twist change back in the day. It’s unfortunate that all of the early work went to slower twist barrels and not faster.

In any enthusiast group you’ll find the calls for manufacturers to bring back the 10mm, the 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen etc etc. But, once burned a manufacturer isn’t likely to go back to a lost revenue project without commitment from someone to buy a certain amount. The pressure needs to be put on a distributor to order a certain gun. Like all of the Lipsey’s special runs that Ruger has made over the years. That means settling on a set of specs that say 5,000 guns could be made and sold to. That means a group of people deciding they all want the same gun.

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
If you read my first post you would see that I suggested a rename/reboot like Remington has done in the past. Hell even the 250 Savage went through a twist change back in the day. It’s unfortunate that all of the early work went to slower twist barrels and not faster.

In any enthusiast group you’ll find the calls for manufacturers to bring back the 10mm, the 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen etc etc. But, once burned a manufacturer isn’t likely to go back to a lost revenue project without commitment from someone to buy a certain amount. The pressure needs to be put on a distributor to order a certain gun. Like all of the Lipsey’s special runs that Ruger has made over the years. That means settling on a set of specs that say 5,000 guns could be made and sold to. That means a group of people deciding they all want the same gun.
That is the tough part, getting a group to settle on one specific thing to get behind. I like the idea of the MVP Patrol(not scout) or Ruger American Ranch because they could be used with a short mag for hunting or a longer mag for tactical.

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
If no one bought them, why can you not find any of them available? I think they all sold. Ruger is just not willing to commit to anything other than a limited run. I have spoken to gun manufacturers as well as barrel makers and I always get the same: "we will look into it" nonsense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If no one bought them, why can you not find any of them available? I think they all sold. Ruger is just not willing to commit to anything other than a limited run. I have spoken to gun manufacturers as well as barrel makers and I always get the same: "we will look into it" nonsense.
Of course they sold. It’s been 10+ years since Ruger made the mini in 6.8 and the members of this board own them. When I say they didn’t sell I mean in the numbers required for a manufacturer to continue making them, not that they are all sitting in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust.

Again, you need to talk to a distributor and convince them to order 5,000 of whatever gun it is that you want. Ruger doesn’t listen to John Q Public, but they do listen to Lipsey’s.

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I can tell you exactly who owns about half a dozen of them because they bought them from me. You would have better luck getting Davidson's to talk to Ruger than you would Lipsey's. They have a long standing relationship. Ruger is being very cautious at the moment. It has been hard to find a distributor who has even a 10-22 available lately but I have managed to get a few. I doubt with the gun market and the economy the way it is right now that you will get them to even consider another run of a gun they are not certain will sell. For most, if it isn't a 6.5 Creedmoor, they are not interested.

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
The Ruger American looks to be lower priced than the Mossberg MVP. The Lipseys buyer said he has no idea how many rifles it would take to get Ruger to produce a batch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I keep saying Lipsey’s because it seems they are the one that gets Ruger to make all the cool Single Actions. Either way, it doesn’t matter which one, the point is you’d have to get a distributor to order it.

I still go back to the fact that the cartridge needs a facelift to sell. Long range is where it’s at. Everyone thinks they’re a sniper. A faster twist to stabilize at least a 140 gr VLD type bullet would surpass the Grendel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Ruger American looks to be lower priced than the Mossberg MVP. The Lipseys buyer said he has no idea how many rifles it would take to get Ruger to produce a batch.
I’d prefer the American Predator to a Mossberg. I may be wrong but sense when I’ve handled a Mossberg is that it’s heavier than it needs to be. A Predator with the AR mag capability with an 8” twist would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I can tell you exactly who owns about half a dozen of them because they bought them from me. You would have better luck getting Davidson's to talk to Ruger than you would Lipsey's. They have a long standing relationship. Ruger is being very cautious at the moment. It has been hard to find a distributor who has even a 10-22 available lately but I have managed to get a few. I doubt with the gun market and the economy the way it is right now that you will get them to even consider another run of a gun they are not certain will sell. For most, if it isn't a 6.5 Creedmoor, they are not interested.
This is what my LGS told me and he has also been in the business for a half century or more.

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I’d prefer the American Predator to a Mossberg. I may be wrong but sense when I’ve handled a Mossberg is that it’s heavier than it needs to be. A Predator with the AR mag capability with an 8” twist would be sweet.
You don't need an 8 twist since a 10 will stabilize a 150gr bullet

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I keep saying Lipsey’s because it seems they are the one that gets Ruger to make all the cool Single Actions. Either way, it doesn’t matter which one, the point is you’d have to get a distributor to order it.

I still go back to the fact that the cartridge needs a facelift to sell. Long range is where it’s at. Everyone thinks they’re a sniper. A faster twist to stabilize at least a 140 gr VLD type bullet would surpass the Grendel.
Not trying to pick on you but I honestly disagree. The 6.8 SPC is just not that well suited for a long range cartridge. It does ok but there are too many out there better suited to it for the 6.8 to ever be considered by those specifically looking to shoot long ranges.

81 - 100 of 191 Posts