6.8 SPC Forums banner
221 - 223 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
Back on topic:

What would help the 6.8?

Just half the advertising budget from the .30 Barack Obama cartridge would do wonders for it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think showing people the collection of DoD testing, it kind of shuts down the Grendel argument altogether.

Not only did the AMU test 6mm SPC, 6.5mm SPC, 6.8mm SPC and 7mm SPC (all in the same case just necked for each bullet), they also tested 120gr 6.5mm Grendel and found it had poor barrier blind performance (auto glass 100 yards).

On top of that BrassFetcher also tested 556, 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel all in Barnes TSX bullets for each caliber back to back.

The findings mirrored what the DoD found, 6.5mm had poor barrier blind performance. Also they measured a lot less energy transfer into the gel block with load cells placed under neath compared to 6.8 SPC.

All 16in barrels, same conditions. Grendel literally relies on people's ignorance of terminal ballistics and inflated velocity numbers from 24" test barrels. Just getting the actual info out there would go a long way because it backs up the claims in an irrifutable way, on top of that it also explains why the US military specified 6.8mm for their full powered battle rifle cartridge with the NGSW solicitation.

The links to the Gary Roberts small arms symposium presentation are all over this forum as are several other related studies and presentations. Just get the info out there as I find that most people still have no idea it exists or ignored it outright because they are ignorant of 556s limitations / issues until I show them the studies. Same thing applies when I get asked about 6.5 Grendel.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I also think there needs to be a push for more affordable pmag usable lowers. I know LWRCI has the patent atm, but if they had a partnership with like PSA to produce cheaper lowers that took pmags, it would go a long way for those like me that hate the damn mags I get from other manufacturers atm, I always have to mess with the feed lips...I recently spent the money on a LWRCI Six8-A5 and could not be happier... to me it was a game changer, I immediate bought 20 pmags and will be grabbing another rifle for my wife and probably selling a few I have in the back of the safe. The more interest and use out of this style of lower, will increase the availability of 5, 10, 15 and 20 round pmags. The downside is the non-compatability with standard AR-15 mags, so if you wanted to change to 556 or 300bo you couldn't. Big f'n deal in my opinion. Ive never changed any rifle to another round, besides going from 556 to 6.8... just save and buy another rifle. Of course if you wanted to run valk, tac30 or 22 nos out of it you could. I think the 6.8 case is the optimal case for an AR-15 platform and a push to give it its own would assist. Want a 556? Cool, go grab one, want a 6.8? get the one that can run pmags and keep it a 6.8 case based specialty ar-15.

221 - 223 of 223 Posts