6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread like all has run off the rails so-
I started this thread so members could talk back and forth and get ideas, not for me to get ideas and try stuff. This is capitalism at it's finest, if you believe in something spend the money, invest your time and money into your belief.
ETA a suggestion, members make a poll, come up with a game plan possibly to approach a major player and use the membership of the forum to set it in motion.
IMO it will take a major player to adopt the 6.8 as it's own, advertise and put things on the shelf. It's the best deer and hog cartridge in the country seems like someone would want to capitalize on that. I wouldn't pound the idea that SPCII speeds are needed to kill hogs or deer, they drop to normal factory loads every day.

Mods do your thing, edit, move, delete, make a poll or whatever you feel is right.

. With all of the comments below it looks like a bolt action rifle may be the next thing on the list. Getting everyone to agree on rifle specs would be a major hurdle. SBRs and long barrel sniper rifles would stop it dead in it's tracks...IMO. 18" barrels are probably mid -ground, close enough for those wanting a 16", close enough for those wanting a 20".

Either way cheap ammo and a run of rifles will take a fairly large company to pull off.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep I agree that's a piece, and a bunch of write ups. Lots of good PR.

Howa's adoption of the Mini action is a big step in a bolt gun. But it didn't include the 6.8.

Piggy backing on the new Sig for the DOD's publicity train would help if it wasn't all fake BS they keep repeating.

We need something that'll make a splash in Guns and Ammo, like an expose/history of what really happened and story ever since, Then maybe get Todd on the Hunting shows etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,612 Posts
Look I don't run this place I'm just some jackass that believed in Hollands belief and tried to do what I could to get the 6.8 adopted. Now I believe the 6.8 may be one of the best deer and hog hunting cartridges ever made. Maybe the admin or mods should have asked this question but I can type and I'll still try to do what I can to help the 6.8 as you will soon see.

So Members spit it out, what would be things that would help the 6.8?
Mods do your thing, edit, move, delete, make a poll or whatever you feel is right.
I know you probably disagree with the bolt action angle but if it could be made in a short light rifle say 5lbs or so with optic and a 16-18" barrel I think it would make a great lightweight rifle for many situations.

·
Premium Member
18,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is there any company making a 224 Valkyrie bolt action?
I think it will take a big company to make and market a complete 6.8 bolt gun, those already doing a 224 V may be easiest to convert. Okay looks like Savage still shows the 224V so you only need a barrel to convert. Still not as easy as buying a complete rifle but an option.

·
Premium Member
18,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know you probably disagree with the bolt action angle but if it could be made in a short light rifle say 5lbs or so with optic and a 16-18" barrel I think it would make a great lightweight rifle for many situations.
I'm not going to disagree with any ideas this is your baby, my opinion doesn't mean jack. Like he said above the Howa mini action may be a thing.
To anyone that has seen it what is the bolt/bolt face like I mean does it have a round spring like extractor kind of like the Remington or is it an extractor that pins in the side like a Sako but possibly smaller than an AR15 type extractor

·
Vendor
2,360 Posts
ER Shaw will make a bolt gun for anyone. You can spec it out on there site. The ones I did messing around were like $900 to $1100. But it's hard to find and not on a store shelf.
I agree a $400 to $600 bolt gun would be a big help. The 6.8 is an amazing cartridge for beginning hunters in a bolt gun. My stock Rem 700 LTR is lights out accurate.
I've talked to Howa, Ruger, Win, Barrett (Chris is on the board not in production sadly) and a few others at Shot Show. Always get the same response.
But not Davidsons, Lipseys etc. If they asked for one from a big player it would get built I bet. I just had that idea writing this, humm

·
Registered
94 Posts
More ammunition related than gun related.
Consolidate primer size.
A run of ammunition and components, including brass.
ELD/ long range bullet. Everything new seems to be chasing long range shooting/hunting. That seems to be all I see being pushed in the gun rags.
Until something new is pushed out for the 6.8, it will just keep quietly killing game.

·
Super Moderator
12,612 Posts
I'm not going to disagree with any ideas this is your baby, my opinion doesn't mean jack. Like he said above the Howa mini action may be a thing.
To anyone that has seen it what is the bolt/bolt face like I mean does it have a round spring like extractor kind of like the Remington or is it an extractor that pins in the side like a Sako but possibly smaller than an AR15 type extractor
To the best of my recollection they have a recessed bolt face like a 700 with M16 style extractors and ejectors.

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
A viable metal mag compatible with the Six8 receivers with the corresponding long COAL.

Maybe reach out to the reloading manuals with "SPCII" data. Hodgdon has a specific "garand loads" for the M1, why not a SPCII section? I think some of the major manuals do similar.

Publicity for sure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It would be a great youth rifle for deer.

I am a volunteer for a hunting program for youth. We introduce around 60 kids a year to deer hunting primarily with .243. We use single shot rifles and bolt action rifles. Without rebarrelling Savages, I don't have 6.8 options.

Another overrun of XM68 might help convert .308 and 7.62x39 (AR platform) pig hunters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any thoughts to contacting Kimber? From all the gun mags I receive, they are evident more than just about any other manufacturer. They are US made, kind of a niche manufacturer not as big as some of the other players, but they have a visibility that stands out to me. They are not known to be inexpensive but they cover a good range of affordability. My .308 hunter, kryptek camo boot campaign rifle that I purchased couple of years back was their lower end rifle (less than $900 at the time). Shoots 1.25moa, weighs 5.5 lbs. This is my favorite carry rifle that I own. Took a nice 8pt this past season with it. If they buy in to the cartirdge, which I love by the way, and they promote its power, minimal recoil etc to new shooters (ladies, newbies and youngsters) I think they would have the potential to ignite it beyond most others

·
Registered
341 Posts
I guess I'm the odd-ball guy. I prefer single-shot rifles for deer hunting. My 6.8 is a Ruger #2 single-shot. Those unaware, a #2 is a #3 wearing #1 wood. Mine has a varmint weigh barrel & is topped with a big scope. It's not a light weight but a short & handy rifle. The standard spec II chamber allows long OAL seating not being restricted by a magazine. Getting enough powder behind a 130 gr bullet is no problem. This opens up the possibilities for some slower powder choices for 130 gr. I'm right at 2,700 fps using AR-comp & 130gr Fusion bullet. My experience is that the 6.8 cartridge takes a step forward in performance when magazine length is not a restriction.

If I wanted a super light & handy deer rifle I would re-barrel a Ruger #3 with a light weight 20" barrel & keep the original stocks. Add a compact scope & you'd have a handy sub-6 lb deer rig.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Here is what a #3 unaltered looks like:
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Super Moderator
12,612 Posts
I guess I'm the odd-ball guy. I prefer single-shot rifles for deer hunting. My 6.8 is a Ruger #2 single-shot. Those unaware, a #2 is a #3 wearing #1 wood. Mine has a varmint weigh barrel & is topped with a big scope. It's not a light weight but a short & handy rifle. The standard spec II chamber allows long OAL seating not being restricted by a magazine. Getting enough powder behind a 130 gr bullet is no problem. This opens up the possibilities for some slower powder choices for 130 gr. I'm right at 2,700 fps using AR-comp & 130gr Fusion bullet. My experience is that the 6.8 cartridge takes a step forward in performance when magazine length is not a restriction.

If I wanted a super light & handy deer rifle I would re-barrel a Ruger #3 with a light weight 20" barrel & keep the original stocks. Add a compact scope & you'd have a handy sub-6 lb deer rig.
View attachment 76261

Here is what a #3 unaltered looks like:
View attachment 76262
I am also a fan of single shots. I would love a #3 or a #1 but they are quite pricey. Good luck finding either for under a grand then you would have to re-barrel it.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts