6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would share some experiences to get your take.....the upper is a 20 inch WOA, SPCll chamber, 1 in 11 twist 4 groove.

Loads
(1) 28.6gr AA2200, bullet 110 AB, case SSA, primer CCI 41. Avg velocity 2655, group size 0.72
(2) 27.8gr AA2200, bullet 115 Gold Dot, case SSA, primer CCI 41, avg velocity 2583, group size 0.35
(3) 30.0 gr AA2230, bullet 115 Gold Dot, case SSA, primer CCI 41, avg velocity 2564 group size 1.42

Temperature at range 86 degrees in the shade.

load number 1 had one case with a flatten primer. The other cases showed very slight swipe
load 2 had rounded primers and no indication of swipes
load 3 showed similar to load 2

Observations:
I am a little surprised I got pressure signs in load 1 given that the velocity seems to be in the expected ballpark.

Velocities in loads 2 and 3 were higher than anticipated given that they were fairly close to the book load for a SPC 1 chamber.....and no pressure signs to speak of.

all ejections were around 2 o’clock so a bit over gasse- non adjustable block.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the above experiences, also I plan on hunting deer and hogs so do you have a load preference? I have killed a lot of deer and a few hogs in my life but only a couple with the 6.8 (Using the 95 gr TTSX......didn’t like the small exit wounds)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hmm. Well 30 gr at 115 is probably pushing it. I run 30 on 110s. I have a Bison with the "Bison" chamber. Maybe play with your COAL a bit to lower your pressure. Unless my chrono is way off Im running about 2770 with the 110's with 30gr and 2.260 COAL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30gr with 2230 is the Speer book max......not with 2200. That would be primer popping or worse with 2200. 🙈. Maybe I missing something?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmm, my loads seem to be somewhat low at FPS so I am wondering two things, should I be crimping the cannellure bullets, how much, when you go up, do you go up a tenth of a grain, or what do most people use to save on reloading shooting. I haven't had any high pressure, seem to shoot fairily accurately, but I have been using my red dot rifle at the moment, so my accuracy might be me.

·
Registered
534 Posts
30gr with 2230 is the Speer book max......not with 2200. That would be primer popping or worse with 2200. 🙈. Maybe I missing something?
Depending on the gun. 30 is fine for mine. Dont start having primer issues till about 30.5. I worked mine up to 30 in .3 gr increments, 5 shots each. All book values are SPC I from what I recall. I have a screen shot from the chrono somewhere. It was hot like 90 degrees cause i live in AZ.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I just checked my notes and your load #1 is in the ballpark with my results using an ARP 20” Triad. 28.X should not be excessive for a SPC II barrel, but all barrels are different. I’ve loaded to 28.8 with no signs of pressure, but in lower temps. 2200 is temp sensitive. However, for me, the 110 AB is a “slow” bullet. I can generally get the 115 Nos CCs to run faster, especially with H335.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
All barrels are different, so YMMV. I would load and shoot more than those 3 loads to make a decision, but so far your best accuracy is #2, and it's got decent velocity. You probably found a node already. I'd load up another round with #2, along with .2-.3 grains on either side of it, just to see how big and where that node is.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Just my FYI.....For whatever reason 110 AB seems to build pressure and show on the primers at lower charge weight than if I load the Hornaday 110 HPBT..... I see the same with other powders like 10x and H322

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just my FYI.....For whatever reason 110 AB seems to build pressure and show on the primers at lower charge weight than if I load the Hornaday 110 HPBT..... I see the same with other powders like 10x and H322
Yeah, Ballistic Tips do the same thing with my other rifles. Might have to do with the solid copper back end (heel).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All barrels are different, so YMMV. I would load and shoot more than those 3 loads to make a decision, but so far your best accuracy is #2, and it's got decent velocity. You probably found a node already. I'd load up another round with #2, along with .2-.3 grains on either side of it, just to see how big and where that node is.
Good point. Most of my loading so far has been with the 95gr TTSX and the 110gr. PH. Just started with the 110 AB and the 115 GD. The factory 115 fusion shot well but had a lower MV of around 2500.

I have yet to shoot a critter with a Gold Dot bullet so I am curious to see how they perform. Most of my deer killing has been with Ballistic Tips, AB’s and Pro Hunters, but that has been in the bolt action world.

hopefully the node will be wide with the #2 load.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just looked. Accurates Loading data from their site says max around 29 gr for 110s. Im 1 grain over. Also using S&B FMJ for load development.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Figured I would share some experiences to get your take.....the upper is a 20 inch WOA, SPCll chamber, 1 in 11 twist 4 groove.

Loads
(1) 28.6gr AA2200, bullet 110 AB, case SSA, primer CCI 41. Avg velocity 2655, group size 0.72
(2) 27.8gr AA2200, bullet 115 Gold Dot, case SSA, primer CCI 41, avg velocity 2583, group size 0.35
(3) 30.0 gr AA2230, bullet 115 Gold Dot, case SSA, primer CCI 41, avg velocity 2564 group size 1.42

load number 1 had one case with a flatten primer. The other cases showed very slight swipe

Observations:
I am a little surprised I got pressure signs in load 1 given that the velocity seems to be in the expected ballpark.

Velocities in loads 2 and 3 were higher than anticipated given that they were fairly close to the book load for a SPC 1 chamber.....and no pressure signs to speak of.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the above experiences, also I plan on hunting deer and hogs so do you have a load preference? I have killed a lot of deer and a few hogs in my life but only a couple with the 6.8 (Using the 95 gr TTSX......didn’t like the small exit wounds)

Loads

Observations:

I have the same upper but only shoot 95ttsx and 100 AB. Never any problems with 28.5 gr of 2200.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just looked. Accurates Loading data from their site says max around 29 gr for 110s. Im 1 grain over. Also using S&B FMJ for load development.
View attachment 63554
Yeah I had worked up to 28.6 of 2200 with the 110 AB. It was a tad bit warm. The book shows 29.0 but that is with a Pro Hunter. In my bolt guns, Pro Hunters always show less velocity and less pressure than the equivalent Ballistic Tip or Accubond. In a 25-06; 7mm-08 or .308, for example, the reduction is normally around 50fps slower for the same powder charge. May not be apples to apples with the 6.8 though.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Verify that you were throwing 30 grains and be careful. It is possible that your barrel and chamber can safely handle that load. Pay very close attention to the results depending on the temps as temps can change things very quickly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Verify that you were throwing 30 grains and be careful. It is possible that your barrel and chamber can safely handle that load. Pay very close attention to the results depending on the temps as temps can change things very quickly.
I have verified it. I went up to 31 before having issues. I trickle each charge. My I also have a calibration weight to check that my scale is on. I always work up by .2 or .3 depending on the powder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 110gr Accubond load is 28.8gr of AA2200 at 2.285 in S&B brass. It is temp sensitive, but I get 2650 FPS in my 16” ARP barrel above 70 degrees F.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts