6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Since the switch over to the new site software I am receiving and general SQL error. It happens at 1:00 AM EST and persists till 1:20 AM EST. I am assuming it is sometype of back end automated admin going on. But the site is completely down and unreachable during those times. Here is the full text of the error message:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql14.hostexcellence.com' (4) [2003]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The software itself is still functioning as the error page is generated and hosted by it. It has a Index link in the top right corner as well. But you can not reach any part of the site during this time.

I would also like to see the fixed width well unfixed if possible. It makes this very nice setup hard to read and navigate and it is only using 50% of the wide screens area. Big bars on each side is tacky and unfriendly. Other then those I like everything in the new software. Much more control and options. The site also loads and searches the data base faster then the old.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Tim

G

·
0 Posts
Yep, It is a back up and reboot of the SQL server.

Unless another server is put online and used until the other is backed up this cant be avoided. I picked that time due to not many people are on it.
Sorry about that.

The fixed width is going to be here for a little bit til I can add room for advertising space. I just needed to leave a little room for that and a few other things.
I am going to work on letting you guys choose your own themes etc but that will take some time. I only had one weeekend to upgrade a database and as any geek knows, updating a data base is a bigger pain than installing a new one which would of lost all posts etc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maxwell,

You are doing a great job. When we rolled out site upgrades they were tested for months brought up on test servers in a Lab. Then from the data center. I had a huge staff and many servers. We would still have our fair share of bugs to clean up after going live. This software is such a huge step forward everyone should be more then willing to endure a few growing pains.

On the outage, I figured it was a backup but didn't know if you had a load balancing setup or what the backend was like. I was giving you a heads up in case one of the servers wasn't going live while the other was backing up. Only running one server with out a duplicate system running on the same box explains much. I don't now what backup program you are using. Most of them have live agents that will keep the system and data bases hot and live during the backup. You can even do it with them without the agents if you have the right options installed. Veritas, Backup Exec etc.. They run with out stopping the data base services. Not sure if this applies to your system or budget.

Being able to change skins would be nice. But I would rather see the wide format first if prioritizing. Having to figure out the page formating allowing for the banners is always a pain.

Looks great

Thanks very much for all your work.

Tim

G

·
0 Posts
Running linux I would rather have the services stopped.
This site is just a favor for a friend (Cold) and I dont devote enough time as I should to it and due to it being run on linux and not windows means I dont need to baby sit it.
The bad part is SQL as you may know is a pain to back up properly with out stopping it.
If I sat the site more I would write a different program for it but if it didnt come back up the site could be down for weeks with out me knowing it unless Cold got a hold of me.
But thanks for the thoughts, If I ever take some time off for myself and do some stuff I need to I will work on the back up issues.
I will be changing the theme to a better format I just need to come up with one.
Thanks for hanging in there with us.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured from your past posts that you were doing this as a favor. I wasn't sure of the back end] hence my different suggestions The SQL thru me. Yes SQL is a pain, it took more of my time then all the other systems we ran combined. We actually created its own department to deal with it. I agree stopping it is the best option for bkup. Everyone here appreciates your efforts and help. The new software is a definite improvement. Cold seems to be having fun learning all the new features. :wink: :mrgreen: Thanks for all the work.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts