6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't rarely make a thread like this because I rarely experience service that warrants it. I broke the spindle/pin/expander on my Hornady New Dimension die yesterday... 6.8spc. Totally my fault. I was moving way too fast, seated the rod too deep and was jamming the expander ball down into the bottom of the brass... took about 3 rounds to bend far enough to put the decapping pin off-center, then snapped it off inside. D'oH!
Anyways... opened my Hornady instruction manual for the dies, and on the back page is the Hornady logo with a phone number. I called it, pressed 4 at the menu, and a real-live lady with a country accent answered the phone. She took my order for 2 sets of replacement parts ($32 shipped) and said they'd be in the mail today.
UNBELIEVABLE! I cross-posted this at TFL... an experience like this was worth spreading the word.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
SamNavy, great to hear. Thanks for sharing. Hornady has always been top tier in my experience.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ive never needed their customer service. I did call once for load data ,no email back then , and in about 2 days had 4 pages from the then new manual in hand .

I've found that gun folks have great service. I think it is because it is such a small community really and 1 or 2 twisted customers could actually be an impact on their market. Tell 2 friends and so on . 20 potential customers spend that 1st $250 someplace else and bang 2 retailers lost $5000 .

Actually the closer the hobby/service is to nature the better it seems to be . Computers are a pain unless you are getting a new 1 then sometimes you have to wait . If something gives up its probably your fault ,even when it's a hardware problem.
I bought some stuff from Summit racing a while back a clutch for an F150 the kit had the wrong throw out bearing in it in and out with the right 1 in 15 minutes.
Need a part for a press or the ram is slopped out hey lets get you a new press .

·
Registered
346 Posts
The expander broke? I would have thought the spindle might have bent and the decapping pin broke or bent, but I would have thought the expander would be O.K.

I’ve done the same, but with different brand name dies. I have spare parts for all of them—including Hornady dies…

In the past before I got a good collection of spare parts, I would rob from one set of dies and use those parts in another set of dies until I could get replacement parts…

Next time you might try the following link—might save yourself some money. Ordering about anything directly from reloading manufactures is generally more than from large catalog suppliers—at least that seems so to me…

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/958434/hornady-die-maintenance-kit

Good-luck…BCB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts