6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a 6.8 rifle using an ARP barrel & bolt. As recommended I used Mega Arms upper & lower reciever.

I have had nothing but problems with the build. Mainly jamming and double feeds. The gun would run with a wet bolt for few rounds. I followed all the recommendations on this site (Thx 2 all). I could not get it to run.

This is not my first build & I make no claims that I'm an expert. Just a hobbyist.

Due to circumstances the gun was shelved for over a year. After tearing it down over winter I went to the range. Same problems.

Fortunately not to far away is a gunsmith that was a Marine armourer. The smith found a bad spring in the bolt on first test fire. This was replaced and the gun was test fired again. Same problem.

We both missed the fact that the bolt was left handed.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed ARP sent the wrong bolt. I order the combo together as they headspace them when you do.

I'm way past warranty and now have another $140 in this in parts & labor.

If you are having problems include a careful examination of your bolt. Lesson learned.

The good news is the barrel will shoot a .75" group and may be capable of better.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
A left handed bolt ejects from the left side of the firearm. Ejector and extractor locations are opposite a right handed bolt. Rotation in the bolt carrier is opposite as well.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I built a 6.8 rifle using an ARP barrel & bolt. As recommended I used Mega Arms upper & lower reciever.

I have had nothing but problems with the build. Mainly jamming and double feeds. The gun would run with a wet bolt for few rounds. I followed all the recommendations on this site (Thx 2 all). I could not get it to run.

This is not my first build & I make no claims that I'm an expert. Just a hobbyist.

Due to circumstances the gun was shelved for over a year. After tearing it down over winter I went to the range. Same problems.

Fortunately not to far away is a gunsmith that was a Marine armourer. The smith found a bad spring in the bolt on first test fire. This was replaced and the gun was test fired again. Same problem.

We both missed the fact that the bolt was left handed.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed ARP sent the wrong bolt. I order the combo together as they headspace them when you do.

I'm way past warranty and now have another $140 in this in parts & labor.

If you are having problems include a careful examination of your bolt. Lesson learned.

The good news is the barrel will shoot a .75" group and may be capable of better.
Did you install the bolt upside down? The extractor on the bolt faces the port door.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
You cannot install the bolt can pin in a bolt that is installed upside down......my question is, will a left hand bolt go into battery on a right hand extension?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lefty bolt will work fine with a right handed carrier, and an ARP barrel if you cut a port on the left. I’ve got a slick side that I cut a port on the left side so I can chose which side the brass exits depending on what bolts in. I’ve got several hundred rounds down the tube, and killed several nice bucks. 2 different kids have killed their first deer with it also.

There is no way you can mistake a lefty bolt in a right hander. If you got it to eject and operate a few times it’s not a lefty bolt. Pics would help us diagnose!

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
You cannot install the bolt can pin in a bolt that is installed upside down......my question is, will a left hand bolt go into battery on a right hand extension?
Are you sure about that? seems like I machined that bolt and I'll bet you can. We have never "private" proofed the bolts by denting one side to keep them from being installed upside down.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Try it....bolt cam pin will go into bolt except the correct way...
Mine will , as matter of fact just pulled it out and did it on my 12.5 6.8 pistol . I'll post pictures of it installed both ways tommorow .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Are we talking about an AR 15 or one of those bullpup shorty things the grand wizard shoots ?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I cannot put the pin through the wrong side of my bolt....it will not fit in the hole except from the correct side.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
AR is what it is.....wtf is a bull pup shorty thing....
From a training video, Constructor shared . Seems the grand wizard knows less about ARs than some of the " knowledgeable gun Smith's " people on here often speak of .

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I cannot put the pin through the wrong side of my bolt....it will not fit in the hole except from the correct side.
What brand bolt ? Op said his was ARP . I have a couple of different brands and none have tapered or restricted holes but you may have a priority bolt and pin . Could be carbon restriction and bolt needs cleaning also .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts