6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use more, the 10 or 25 for target practice. Basically they are the same price, and I'm thinking the 25 may just be too long, I never get into competitions so this is just weekend fun. State law requires 5 max for hunting so that covers that issue.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I use a 15; not too long, and holds enough ammo for most situations.

There's no capacity limit for hunting here in NC, so it works out good.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I prefer the 10s for load developement, have some 17s for blasting, never pick up the 25s except for the 6.8 pistol used for home defense.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
10, 25 is to long for shooting from the bench, I think my 25's will be saved for the zombie apocalypse. The vast majority of my hunting is one shot and even on the bench, the 10's are easier to reload and make for a nice even number.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
10, 25 is to long for shooting from the bench, I think my 25's will be saved for the zombie apocalypse. The vast majority of my hunting is one shot and even on the bench, the 10's are easier to reload and make for a nice even number.
This pretty much covers me too. I use 10s for bench and hunting. I have a pile of 25s for what ever happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Same here.

They are about the same length as a 20 round 5.56 mag, which I prefer for that caliber.
I've got a bunch of "Colt AR15" marked 5.56 mags that work in anything 223/556. The 15-17 round 6.8 mags are the same size, so I guess they just "look right" to me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What is everyone doing for mags when you need to limit yourself to 5 rounds for hunting? Just dimple a 10 rnd mag so its limited? In my 556 and 762's I just put limiters in my pmags, but haven't found that option for the steel mags.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
What is everyone doing for mags when you need to limit yourself to 5 rounds for hunting? Just dimple a 10 rnd mag so its limited? In my 556 and 762's I just put limiters in my pmags, but haven't found that option for the steel mags.
You can buy 5 round mags or just put a block in the bottom of a 10. We don't have any mag limits here in GA so not a concern but some states say it has to be a permanently limited to 5 rounds. In that case I would buy a 5 round mag. I know ASC makes them. Not sure who else.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
You can buy 5 round mags or just put a block in the bottom of a 10. We don't have any mag limits here in GA so not a concern but some states say it has to be a permanently limited to 5 rounds. In that case I would buy a 5 round mag. I know ASC makes them. Not sure who else.
2 ways to get a "permanently limited" 5 round that I know of through ASC.....1st is that the spring has a lot of dead coils to block it to 5 rounds...nice because you can take the 5 rounder spring out and change to a standard 10 round spring if you wanted to......2nd way is they use a standard 10 round mag and "crimp" 4 spots into the mag shell thus limiting the follower going past 5 rounds...this has a bonus of being lighter than the "dead coil" spring style mags, but has the drawback of being not able to remove the follower for cleaning or replacement ....make sure you ask which one you are getting as I have received both styles in 5 round ASC mags before.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Kinda what I figured guys - thanks for the info

Ordered 2-10 rounders and 1 5 rounder today

magcommander.com has the ASC for $6.99 (10) $7.99(25) and $13.49 (5) - and all standard shipping is $2.99 so I think I did pretty good, plus the guy is great to deal with, highly recommend them.

http://www.magcommander.com/products/a-s-c-stainless-5-round-6-8-spc-ar-15-magazine
Thanks for the tip. I just got the last 4 25s and last 2 10s. They have the best prices I've seen.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
10s and 5s for hunting and target practice and varmint, 25s when them damn feral dogs pack up for example, 25s got their purposes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have 10's, 15's and 25's. I think the best all rounders are the 15's. As already mentioned, not too long, not,too short.

I tend to use 10's almost exclusively if I' shooting off a bench. 10's for predator hunting, 15's and 25's for stalking hog sounders at night.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
10 for hunting, 15 for hogs. Found the 25 just to big and cumbersome when loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts