6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Midway is setting to release various M1 Carbines ..........too rich for my blood but interesting none the less.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Looks like Midway is setting to release various M1 Carbines ..........too rich for my blood but interesting none the less.

Wow! I bought one at CMP in Alabama 9 years ago for about $400. Gave it to my dad for Christmas. He was so happy he cried.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd love another but the CMP spoiled me too

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Temp . Unavailable ? Just like everything I am interested in lately .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,178 Posts
My father bought one in the 60s for $8 when you could order them through the NRA. Early 2000 they were selling for $300.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The CMP has been privatized now and unfortunately we will never see those prices again. I got on their mailing list to be notified when they have some available for sale, but from what I have been able to find, I probably still won't be able to afford one of theirs.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They sold out in a few hours the same day they were available....no surprise. I wonder if they were collectors or 'flippers'?

·
Registered
152 Posts
They sold out in a few hours the same day they were available....no surprise. I wonder if they were collectors or 'flippers'?
These days my guess would be towards the flipper side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
12,219 Posts
Didn't seem like Midway left much room for profit on those. They seemed kind of pricey to me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
With the crazyness in firearms prices from the past year, I suspect that some people see these M1 Carbines as investments, not something to shoot.
I had liked M1 Carbines since I was a kid, but had a long spell of not shooting and didn't get back into shooting until the 2000's. By then, the cheap ones were gone and I have never been quite able to justify the cost of a GI one. These days, I am conflicted about shooting original-condition WWII rifles. Part of me wants to avoid causing more damage to a piece of history. The other part of me, of course, just wants to go shooting.
I guess that if I really get the bug to buy a M1 Carbine in the future, I could get one of the new Inland or Auto Ordnance ones.

·
Banned
2,278 Posts
I owned a Plainfield M1 carbine back in the late-1970s. Most enjoyable rifle I've ever shot. I always wanted to get another.
About ten years ago I went shopping for an AR15 to convert to 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel, planning to do comparison tests.
As I stood at the counter, handling the M4 clone, I noticed a very nice USGI M1 carbine on the rack, and bought it instead.
Paid $999 plus tax, but I didn't consider it to be an investment. I fully intended to shoot it as much and as often as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts