6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my understanding that you could not run the LWRC Six8 upper on a standard lower but I was wrong. After speaking with LWRC at SHOT show this weekend you can run the Six8 uppers with srandard lowers you just have to use the standard 6.8 mags like the PRI mags. I tested it when I got home and sure enough it worked. I have not fired it yet but cycled a few mags through no issues.

The LWRC Six8 lower does require the Six8 upper and Pmags to work though. If I had known this i would have owned their Six8 piston uppers a long time ago, so figured would share the info.

Here is the Six8 Razorback upper on my Colt m4 lower with PRI mag. This should solve the 5 round mag issue until they can get the Pmags built.

·
Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
I've already tried that as well, the upper doesn't fit as well because of the width in places. I have not test fired the mis-match.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already tried that as well, the upper doesn't fit as well because of the width in places. I have not test fired the mis-match.

For or some reason I just assumed it would not work, I was shocked when they said it would!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Nice to know, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
...did I read this post correctly? TEXASLAWMAN, are you saying Magpul is making sub 30rnd Six8 mags?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
LoL remember I put a post up months ago asking about this since it fit and you said same thing but we joked about whose gonna shoot it first?

Well after reading this I ballsed up and just sent 50 xm90gd's out the back door. MEGA GTR3H lower and Six8 SPR upper. No signs of additional wear, no FTF. Used PRI 5 rounder.

·
Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
LoL remember I put a post up months ago asking about this since it fit and you said same thing but we joked about whose gonna shoot it first?

Well after reading this I ballsed up and just sent 50 xm90gd's out the back door. MEGA GTR3H lower and Six8 SPR upper. No signs of additional wear, no FTF. Used PRI 5 rounder.
Good job Buell, we, you and I talked about this. I told you I was going to let you be the first to try. LOL

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Good job Buell, we, you and I talked about this. I told you I was going to let you be the first to try. LOL
Yea was directed at you I forgot to include your quote above....lol... As I was loading the first mag, butt puckered I was laughing saying "Damn Semi-Cop was right..."

·
Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
Yea was directed at you I forgot to include your quote above....lol... As I was loading the first mag, butt puckered I was laughing saying "Damn Semi-Cop was right..."
LOL.

I still prefer some 10 round SIX8 P-Mags. Come on Magpul we are waiting!!!

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
So you are saying I can use my standard lower and lo cap mags in my standard lower when attached to a LWRC upper? I thought I had heard to opposite but this is good news and for me then there is no reason to buy and use the LWRC lower that will not work on my other AR platforms.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It is awesome that Six8 uppers with their modifications for the 6.8 cartridge can be on your favorite milspec lower.....

HOWEVER.... Make no mistake the Six8 lower is a nice piece of kit.

Now to only be able to also reverse engineer to make a six8 Upper to shoot 5.56 now that's the perfect deal right there. Just need to make the mags.

I know typical consumer... Make something just for one thing and wanna ruin it but I'm a tinkerer...

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...did I read this post correctly? TEXASLAWMAN, are you saying Magpul is making sub 30rnd Six8 mags?
Only for the Six8 platform that will not fit in a standard AR lower

No Magpul mags are 30 rounds. But you can use the LWRC Six8 upper on a standard milspec ar lower and use standard mags. There are no 5 round magpul mags yet.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
***** Update !!! *****

Ok so since I'm bored and off of work I've continued toying with my Six8 SPR upper on milspec lowers.m

I did find a limitation: the Six8 uppers will not work on lowers with a MAGPUL B.A.D. Lever. The added thickness of the Six8 upper is directly where the back of the BAD lever attaches.

For those used to training with such a device a few companies including Troy make a BAD type system that replaces the milspec paddle that will work bc it is not as thick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
IMO...about the only issue I have with my Six8 is the mag length. So the upper fits on a reg. lower...not exactly the reason I spent $2k for the Six8 (deals are great when you find the one I did!). Hope Magpul (or anyone) makes a smaller capacity mag... I wonder if Magpul relooks at the 6.8 with their newgen polymer (30% stronger?). How about the new drum in 6.8?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
IMO...about the only issue I have with my Six8 is the mag length. So the upper fits on a reg. lower...not exactly the reason I spent $2k for the Six8 (deals are great when you find the one I did!). Hope Magpul (or anyone) makes a smaller capacity mag... I wonder if Magpul relooks at the 6.8 with their newgen polymer (30% stronger?). How about the new drum in 6.8?
Very true but it is one more way to make this unit adaptable to other configurations within ones "system".

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
A mouse suggested to me that Magpul needs/wants a 1M potential or order to make a new mold like for the Six8, so don't hold you breath for a 5/10/15/20 rd mag for the six8 with such limited civilian production. Now I don't know how this relates to just shortening the mag on an already developed 30rd six8 mag.

The work around seems to me much simpler to use a standard AR-15 lower with the six8 upper and existing mags, so other than cost I have no reason not to get a new six8 upper unless it could use an ARP barrel.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
A mouse suggested to me that Magpul needs/wants a 1M potential or order to make a new mold like for the Six8, so don't hold you breath for a 5/10/15/20 rd mag for the six8 with such limited civilian production. Now I don't know how this relates to just shortening the mag on an already developed 30rd six8 mag.

The work around seems to me much simpler to use a standard AR-15 lower with the six8 upper and existing mags, so other than cost I have no reason not to get a new six8 upper unless it could use an ARP barrel.
I have been toying with swapping out my SPR barrel with an ARP barrel just to have LWRCs short stroke design on an arp but still have the if it ain't broke don't fix it going through my head.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts